MODS: Feel free to delete this as I posted in Skype for the apps section but really wanted to make everyone aware of this.

All. This is the reply which I have recieved from Skype. Not good news at the minute I am afraid.

Hi Shaun, thanks for your note. I am pleased you find Skype a great product, we certainly are very proud of the way it enhances people's lives.

We currently have no plans for the PlayBook, we are watching the tablet market carefully and will soon be launching our iPad app, followed by Android for Honeycomb. The investment in a new platform is pretty significant for us, and we generally prefer to see if the product is going to be a success in the market before we develop software.

Hopefully the PlayBook will be a hit for RIM, and if so we will create a version of Skype for the product at that time.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for right now !.

Best Regards
    Neil Stevens
    VP&GM Consumer

I really feel we need to continually hit them with emails and show that the demand is there.

I emailed Tony Bates (CEO)
    [email protected]

The reply as you can see is from Neil Stevens (VP&GM Consumer)
    [email protected]

So reading into this it looks like we could be waiting until we are able to run Android Apps
    05-09-11 12:51 AM
    Sad sad news. I thought skype on the playbook was the next logical move. Better to prioritize the playbook than the android imo. Besides, they already have a basic skype app for the android.
    05-09-11 12:55 AM
    Interesting. RIM just needs to pay Skype a bunch of dough to get this app developed. The good thing is that they are just launching the iPad + Android versions. What RIM needs to do is to create a desktop client for their Video Chat solution...
    Draconianfire83 likes this.
    05-09-11 01:02 AM
    well so much for that idea.
    05-09-11 01:05 AM
    If Skype is making one for Android, couldn't you just run the Android version of Skype with the RIM's Android Player or am I missing something here?
    05-09-11 01:14 AM
    I just want YM and msn
    05-09-11 01:14 AM
    My concern is that the Android player is now really going to hurt the native app availability for PB. Why would you develop a specific app when you can run one already available for another platform.

I doubt I will get anything back but have sent an email to Mike and Jim.

I will keep you posted of any response.
    05-09-11 01:20 AM
    I really think that that guy Neil is just a RIM hater. Why would RIM advertise it, if it wasn't in the pipeline? Tablet with FFC, 1st logical app is Skype. Skype would be idiots not to implement this SW of the PB.

I SAY - If Skype doesnt want in, RIM can create a Cross Platform Video Chat App. Why not? How much can it really be??
    05-09-11 01:30 AM
    If Skype is making one for Android, couldn't you just run the Android version of Skype with the RIM's Android Player or am I missing something here?
    Well, the Skype video chat is being released for Honeycomb, and RIM would need to update the Android player to allow compatibility of Honeycomb when the source code is actually open sourced. The greater concern is that the Skype Android app won't be a pure Dalvik Java app and would require use of the Android SDK. In this case, the Android Player won't work with the Honeycomb Skype app unless some development work is done.
    wsoelivan likes this.
    05-09-11 01:35 AM
    guys it means Skype is sure that RIM's playbook is a big flop that's why they are hesitant to invest their product.
    05-09-11 02:09 AM
    Well I'm just curious to why I see the app in the BB app world screen shots? It could be just a screenshot of just stuff, but I wouldn't be sure.
    As for the PB being a flop, I wouldn't say that, but I would say its a threat to pretty much developers and manufacturers. Why, it just costs more time to develope for another system, and compete against. Most of them are just trying to get rid of the rest, why... Cause they'res just to many andriods to customise for.
    The PB is a wonderful device. They just don't want to work for everyone, just because they're good.
    After all, you can't not make something great without going to apple. As for andriod, well just about all manufacturers use it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-11 02:39 AM
    Well I'm just curious to why I see the app in the BB app world screen shots?
    This is exactly what I put in my email to the RIM CEOs
    05-09-11 02:42 AM
    Polite, but to the point email sent.

Tim
    05-09-11 02:46 AM
    Possibly Skype are wary/cagey after the exclusive deal signed with a us carrier for skype on the bb mobiles? Maybe they are seeing what happens this time round?
    05-09-11 03:13 AM
    D*mn you, Skype!

What you found on Skype? Low cost calls? SIP is a cheapest - you can have more than one account in every country and switch it to get a low cost/free calls for every country.

Skype way is a ICQ way - kill all 3rd party clients, make ugly clients for mobile platforms that does not works correctly, development cycle take too looooong time.

I just waiting for SIP on PlayBook or... RIM, there is a time to combine VideoChat and BBM!
    05-09-11 03:38 AM
    I think the last thing on the Skype team's minds would be developing a PB version. Instead, they have more concerning issues to deal with right now, such as the possible buy out by Facebook and Google.
    05-09-11 05:03 AM
    I think the last thing on the Skype team's minds would be developing a PB version. Instead, they have more concerning issues to deal with right now, such as the possible buy out by Facebook and Google.
    Might keep the Exec's busy at the top but I am sure the Skype Devs could find some time.

Let hope its Facebook and not Google, if anyone ends up with them.

Tim
    05-09-11 05:15 AM
    I would hope it would be Facebook too.

But would a facebook app with chat/video chat be a big rival against bbm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-11 05:23 AM
    FYI: There aren't very many programs in my employer's (a very major multinational corporation) list of security risk / forbidden programs, but Skype is one of them. On a more personal note, Skype has also taken to automaticly charging my dormant account without giving time credit on the account from time to time. Not on Playbook? No loss.
    05-09-11 05:33 AM
    FYI: There aren't very many programs in my employer's (a very major multinational corporation) list of security risk / forbidden programs, but Skype is one of them. On a more personal note, Skype has also taken to automaticly charging my dormant account without giving time credit on the account from time to time. Not on Playbook? No loss.
    I would agree only if RIM produce a desktop client to open video chat to non PB users. Otherwise I feel it is a significant loss.
    05-09-11 05:37 AM
    I've read a number of posts from people here wanting Skype on the PB.

Since I never used it I'm not very familiar with it.

So what is the advantage or benefit to using Skype?

It looks like you can call other Skype members for free but have to pay to call anyone else. I can call anyone in the US and Canada for free with Google Voice.
    05-09-11 06:48 AM
    Free Video Chat for me.

I'm in the UK my fiancee is in Toronto
    05-09-11 07:06 AM
    Same is true for DropBox at this point. There may be two possible salvations...besides web browser direct.

They will develop for QNX once it hits bb handsets (which with BB could be a long wait but will eventually fill out the users) the other would be an emulator for Android apps which exists -just is not in our hands yet - or an emulator for BB apps where they would instantly get millions of users.

RIM needs to reach out (pay) the developer community for some key apps or simply fund the development themselves for a dozen key apps for the PB platform to mitigate the apps debate. I don't need a million apps just a dozen good apps would make me pretty happy, let the dev community fill in the rest.
    05-09-11 07:06 AM
    Just sent the CEO a note as well.
    05-09-11 07:42 AM
    I don't think this is negative at all. Skype, like many other companies, need to invest in new client software (it costs money to develop) and is being cautious about where they put their development dollars. Playbook has been out for less than a month and the only reported numbers have been for first day sales and that was an estimate. Unfortunately, you can just put a programming geek in a room and keep feeding them pizza until they finish writing a new app for a new platform. It might work for small shops but larger development houses need a whole host of resources to explore the new "eco system" and migrate an app.

Like many companies, if the numbers are there, they will write it. They also need to know that the demand is there from platform users so the more email, the better.
    05-09-11 07:52 AM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD