I know this was flagged in the live blog during the General Session, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any further info about that little Skype icon that kept coming up when TAT was demo'ing their Cascades UI.

See the bottom right-hand corner in this attached screenshot.

Curious to know if there's anything to read into here??

David

(screenshot from here: TAT Cascades Demo: Rich UI Development for BlackBerry Apps | CrackBerry.com
    10-19-11 09:59 PM
    I want to know about this too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 10:05 PM
    I honestly think it's just some demo data that has been populated into the database. They said this is pulling over 300,000 pieces of data, could just be dummy data (I did hear right on the 300k, no?).

My brain says don't think anything more of it than that. But my heart is hoping for Skype... :P
    10-19-11 10:11 PM
    Worse comes to worse, someone can just port the Skype from Android over to Playbook using the new repackaging tools.
    10-19-11 10:15 PM
    Worse comes to worse, someone can just port the Skype from Android over to Playbook using the new repackaging tools.
    I wouldn't get to excited about this - its nothing more than a icon created specifically for this demo. It's no different then including a Skype icon on RIM's official website and within their early presentations of App World for the Playbook. Looks preety, but no substance.
    10-19-11 10:17 PM
    I honestly think it's just some demo data that has been populated into the database. They said this is pulling over 300,000 pieces of data, could just be dummy data (I did hear right on the 300k, no?).

My brain says don't think anything more of it than that. But my heart is hoping for Skype... :P
    That does seems plausible (I recall them saying some outrageous number but I think it was in reference to the # of emails in the inbox).

That said, if it was demo data, why add a source that doesn't run on the platform (previous or forthcoming)? All the other icons seemed BB functional. They'd have to know people would see it and raise questions, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they? Who knows with RIM these days...

Edit: Darlaten - good point re: previous use of the icon, but to do it again after the uproar before... seems a wee stupid (which isn't at all to say you aren't absolutely correct)
    Last edited by primusd; 10-19-11 at 10:21 PM.
    10-19-11 10:19 PM
    Since there is a Skype for Verizon users (correct me if I'm wrong), I guess the Skype application is integrated in the messaging functionality like Google Talk, MSN, Y!M.

If the application uses the Bridge to connect to the phone and pulls all the messages in order to build the graph, I don't see anything excited about this screen shot (it just pisses me off that there is Skype for one carrier and not for all the rest)
    primusd likes this.
    10-19-11 10:24 PM
    This was not an "Icon"... the graph was showing trending topics of conversations that were made via email.
    10-19-11 11:36 PM
    If you looked closer at the picture, it is a timeline. Skype and BBM appear at the '2010' section of the trending timeline. Before Playbook existed.
    10-20-11 12:28 AM
    VoIP I don't think is available through Android (app player or baked in) so I wouldn't count on that.
    10-20-11 12:34 AM
    there is also phone and sms icons, which don't exist on the pb either, I think it is just random data set.
    10-20-11 02:11 AM
    Since there is a Skype for Verizon users (correct me if I'm wrong), I guess the Skype application is integrated in the messaging functionality like Google Talk, MSN, Y!M.

If the application uses the Bridge to connect to the phone and pulls all the messages in order to build the graph, I don't see anything excited about this screen shot (it just pisses me off that there is Skype for one carrier and not for all the rest)
    Ah yes, good point... I forgot about the Verizon Skype BB app (the torture of unfair carrier discrimination probably purged it from my mind).

there is also phone and sms icons, which don't exist on the pb either, I think it is just random data set.
    Could be, but I'm thinking now its probably a demo dataset based originally on data from a phone (which has the Verizon Skype app, as well as sms, calls, etc.).
    10-20-11 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD