I was checking out the TAT Cascades demos on youtube, and I noticed Skype in the contacts application. Although I'm not that big of a Skype user, I found this interesting. 1:09
    Who knows, this might be true!
    03-25-12 01:04 PM
    That being a show off demo, I highly doubt they had any working skype app in there. That data was most likely fed into the app.

Remember Skype in pre-release AppWorld?
    03-25-12 01:11 PM
    What you're saying might be true. But it also shows the usage of Skype, which means there has to be something behind it, not just data.
    03-25-12 01:15 PM
    i am certain its all fake data..along with fake user name etc.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-25-12 01:24 PM
    Well, i would not put any faith into it. RIM showed pics of the blackberry playbook weeks before launch day with a skype icon on the homescreen, and on launch and even now there is no skype so you can easily conclude that RIM has no problem using false advertisement. Zero.
    03-25-12 01:32 PM
    Well, i would not put any faith into it. RIM showed pics of the blackberry playbook weeks before launch day with a skype icon on the homescreen, and on launch and even now there is no skype so you can easily conclude that RIM has no problem using false advertisement. Zero.
    Sad but true. That was a dirty thing of RIM to do especially now that we know that Skype still isn't out almost a year after the Playbook is released. Hopefully the new management has a better morale compass.
    03-25-12 01:59 PM
    In the demo skype is integrated like FB, email, BBM etc...hope they integrate it somehow. Would be awesome!
    03-25-12 02:16 PM
    Does anyone think they will have Skype integrated into bbm in bb10?
    03-25-12 03:09 PM
    I hope Skype and Netflix both come with 10 it seems a lot of users are having trouble living without them.
    03-25-12 03:37 PM
    This just in: Skype will be included in bb26... Or maybe just the demo.
    Maybe they should have used a Kindle icon instead, especially as Amazon themselves said it would be there....... Who knows what Skype told RIM prior to launch. You cant conclude a damn thing.
    My contact at rim who is higher level than watching the data stream has told me there will never be a skype client. Rim doesn't want to off the carriers. Then i asked about the playbook as it's not carrier dependant. No comment.

Apple can dictate to the carriers as it has the consumer wrapped up. Rim dictates to the consumer to keep the carriers happy. And it's failing that part badly
    03-25-12 04:09 PM
    Althought they say never say never that is 99.9999912345 unlikely.
    At best RIM can integrate the current PB video chat client with BBM in BB10 as some kind of answer to Facetime.
    As for Skype as a stand alone client it may yet come. who knows?
    They have not looked RIM's way to date because they have one device with FFC which is is key to Skype.
    03-25-12 04:19 PM
    In the demo skype is integrated like FB, email, BBM etc...hope they integrate it somehow. Would be awesome!
    Let's hope they can connect video chat to the Skype network, we won't even need a native Skype App.
    03-25-12 04:27 PM
    Rim should buy Tango and merge it with BBM and release it to everyone. That would end all this.
    03-25-12 04:56 PM
    My contact at rim who is higher level than watching the data stream has told me there will never be a skype client. Rim doesn't want to off the carriers. Then i asked about the playbook as it's not carrier dependant. No comment.

Apple can dictate to the carriers as it has the consumer wrapped up. Rim dictates to the consumer to keep the carriers happy. And it's failing that part badly
    Yes because Skype being available for iOS and Android has the carriers not pushing them . And RIM doing everything the carriers want is really having the carriers push Blackberry devices . Tell your contact that RIM needs to start worrying more about the end user than the middle man, especially since the middle man is telling people looking for phones that Blackberry phones suck, RIM is going out of business, and they should look at an iOS or Android phone with the cool Skype app!
    jonty12, kbz1960 and john_v like this.
    03-25-12 08:18 PM
    Oh how wish this were true!!!! Skype would be a nice addition to the PlayBook and maybe the rest of the world would start back taking RIM serious.
    03-25-12 08:31 PM
    Yes because Skype being available for iOS and Android has the carriers not pushing them . And RIM doing everything the carriers want is really having the carriers push Blackberry devices . Tell your contact that RIM needs to start worrying more about the end user than the middle man, especially since the middle man is telling people looking for phones that Blackberry phones suck, RIM is going out of business, and they should look at an iOS or Android phone with the cool Skype app!
    Unfortunately this is an accurate summary of what's been going on at ground zero ( the carrier stores )...
    ...No one in the sore has anything good to say about RIM for exactly the reasons listed above.
    ...& the only thing worse than the reality of the situation is the disgusting apologetics some people use to defend RIM's bed soiling.

To this day I can't take an HD video with my 9930 and email it to someone ( like I can with my iphone 4s )...
    ...To this day I can't open a simple 92 page PDF on my playbook like I can with my ipad.
    ...To this day I can't open an email of any size on my 9930 like I can on my iphone.

Not having a bare bones business tool like skype ship out with every berry product is just plain stupid...
    ...And the apologetic of claiming RIM does not want to anger the carriers is even worse.
    ...Given that the most popular phones today that have been cleaning RIM's clock all have it.

Can RIM pull out it's head in time? I sure hope so because there is much I really like about BB....
    ...I would like to see nothing more then RIM coming back and taking back what was once it's customers.
    ...We will only see that if RIM wakes up and ceases charging todays premium prices for 3 year old outdated JUNK.

The way I see it RIM has ONE last chance with it's next generation of phones and if it doesn't WOW the critics....
    ...It's all done - the company will simply be a bottom feeder device for those who can't afford an iphone or Droid.
    Here is what needs to happen.

A Blackberry MUST be able to process as large of an email as a Droid or Iphone, period!

A Blackberry MUST be able to open a PDF as good as a iphone or Droid.

A Blackberry MUST be able to use SKYPE ( and support video chat )

A Blackberry MUST go back to an AF camera instead of cheap Fisher Price junk it's got now.

Blackberry MUST either get on board with some ROCKING business APPS or focus it's attention on the fun stuff....
    ...As of right now they about 2% of the fun and 2% of the business Apps the other guys do!
    ...This simply will not work out well if RIM keeps this up.
    03-25-12 08:41 PM
    There was a couple of individuals in these forums claiming to have inside connections with RIM who recently have spoken in very cryptic terms insinuating just that. It was a leap of faith to accept it, first getting by the "mothers-brothers-next door neighbor's television repairman that once was married to a rim employee" story, then accepting the read-between-the-lines messages like "well, i am not at liberty to say, but something awesome is coming with bbm. Now you didnt hear it from me, but people have been saying how neat it would be to have this-and-that integrated with bbm. Well, i cant say it.... But.... Okay, yea. That. Uh-huh. RIM is working on stugpff really neat, coming soon that will leap frog the competition. Yea it will be awesome. Like what people have been saying. Yea."

And yea, it leaves you frustrated and scratching your head just yearning to say "go on the record and say something or keep quiet already!" haha
    03-26-12 05:51 AM
    If they are going to put fake icons in the demo they should just go ahead and sell the space as advertising. I want to see a Ben & Jerrys logo.
    03-26-12 06:14 AM
    My contact at rim who is higher level than watching the data stream has told me there will never be a skype client. Rim doesn't want to off the carriers. ...
    So ridiculous. Apparently Samsung, Apple, LG, Moto, Microsoft, HTC, Google, (insert any other phone/OS manufacturer here) don't care about offing the carriers but RIM cares. Good strategy. Seems to be working great so far.
    03-26-12 09:46 AM
    Right now, I would honestly settle for a "release it yesterday" Skype IM-only client: at least I could contact my skype friends via IM easily (I know there are other solutions, but I'd like the official Skype product with consistent UI and inevitable evolution into a full-featured Skype client.

I have more contacts on Skype than any other IM service, including BBM.
    03-26-12 10:28 AM
    I think we'll see a skype app for Blackberry devices.

Skype has been bought by Microsoft who has said it's now focusing on integrating it into it's live platform. So i'm guessing they'll try and fuse MSN Messenger and Skype. Maybe one brand will disappear (no clue).

But the fact of the matter is, there already is a Skype app for Blackberry, it's unfortunately exclusive to VERIZON blackberries. But the basics, the groundwork is there, they just need to develop it further and release it as a non-carrier exclusive app.

Although it won't be anytime soon, i'm pretty sure it will come.
    03-26-12 10:42 AM
    Did the management at Skype "ever" respond to the email campaign initiated by the CB nation? Basic customer service is professional enough to offer some kind of response be it we are looking into it, or no there will be no integration/app, to even go away and quit bothering us. But to hear nothing is very poor in world of product sales response.

For those of us who are not all game players and want the PB to work as advertised for business needs still are waiting.....
    03-26-12 11:41 AM
    2014 will be a great year skype coming to playbook
    03-26-12 11:42 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD