No more a FOOL than the jack @$$ that sees a PICTURE on a website and DOES NOT INVESTIGATE FURTHER....
    Are you serious? They've had that image on the site since before the playbook was even released. I bought my playbook at launch with the belief that RIM wouldn't just flat out LIE about the apps that were to be released on the tablet. Skype was probably one of the top 3 reasons I bought the playbook in the first place.

The average consumer doesn't know how to search app world online, set their default device as the playbook, then search to see if a skype app is available. Nor should they be expected to email skype to see if an app is to be released in the near future. There's a reason false advertising laws exist.

I think most people would agree you're the one who sounds like a jack@ss in this situation.
    notfanboy and howarmat like this.
    11-03-11 10:14 PM
    How did Nokia get Skype one their devices, even when those devices didn't have much market penetration? For example, Skype on N770, N800, N810, N900 and the new N9! Can RIM motivate Skype like Nokia did?
    11-04-11 02:13 PM
    I have used FaceTime (wife's i), which is 2-way video and voice between phones/tablets but uses wifi if you want a good image.

What would be the Playbook equivalent - presuming it would use a combination of the Playbook and bridged phone camera?
    11-04-11 02:33 PM
    Are you serious? They've had that image on the site since before the playbook was even released. I bought my playbook at launch with the belief that RIM wouldn't just flat out LIE about the apps that were to be released on the tablet. Skype was probably one of the top 3 reasons I bought the playbook in the first place.

The average consumer doesn't know how to search app world online, set their default device as the playbook, then search to see if a skype app is available. Nor should they be expected to email skype to see if an app is to be released in the near future. There's a reason false advertising laws exist.

I think most people would agree you're the one who sounds like a jack@ss in this situation.

Its a MOCK UP. And should seriously be removed since the "average consumer" can't do a simple google search that would give them the results they want.
    And if skype was one of the top three reasons you bought a PlayBook...I guess we should lower the bar for the less than average consumer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    11-04-11 02:53 PM
    I have used FaceTime (wife's i), which is 2-way video and voice between phones/tablets but uses wifi if you want a good image.

What would be the Playbook equivalent - presuming it would use a combination of the Playbook and bridged phone camera?
    A Crackberry reply and search came up with ReelPortal. ANyone have success using this on teh Playbook?
    11-04-11 03:20 PM
    Its a MOCK UP. And should seriously be removed since the "average consumer" can't do a simple google search that would give them the results they want.
    And if skype was one of the top three reasons you bought a PlayBook...I guess we should lower the bar for the less than average consumer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    You realize this is the reason why most people hate Blackberry and Blackberry users. You actually need to do work to make your device work. The only reason I frequent Crackberry is to find solutions to my phone's problems or limitations. With other operating systems, I have been able to get by a lot easier.

You might argue that the average consumer is an ***** and berate them for not being able to search on a forum for a solution. But why would they have to go through the trouble when other operating systems already have things that work right out of the box like Skype?

Playbook owners shouldn't have to look for a Reelportal thread on Crackberry when they want to do video chats. In fact, I only know this because I frequent the forums. Whereas most iOS users already know about Skype and just download it from the App Store. If we are to gain marketshare, we need to make the process as simple as possible so that it will address all of the market, and not just the tech savvy on Crackberry.

Your condescending attitude is exactly why the average user hates Blackberry. Because they think its full of stuffy old men who are too proud to use anything else. Is this true? No not necessarily. But frowning on the average user for being too stupid to use Blackberry isn't helping it win any fans, and I would say right now you are fulfilling the j@ckass Blackberry stereotype. Its not helping Blackberry change its image at all.

And why would he be lower than average for wanting Skype on his Playbook? Is there something wrong with Skype? My partner and I are both clinicians and are constantly on the run, and try to video chat whenever we have an opportunity. Its been frustrating not having Skype on my Playbook as she has on her iPad 2, because she is not fond of technology and doesn't like the hassle of work arounds. You might say that she is lower than average in terms of tech ability and you would be right. Is this bad though? No. There are tons of people who are not tech savvy but they hold other things with higher value in their lives than technology, like making sure we do a good job clinically assessing our patients. If they can't be bothered with work arounds, RIM should be addressing these people with better support, and not the other way around.

RIM is losing because it expects people to like their half *** support and figure work arounds all the time. For Crackberry users that's not a big deal, but for the average consumer, it is, and unless this attitude is changed, RIM's reputation and market share will keep going down.
    11-04-11 04:54 PM
    Well said!

Further, I wish these people who are "know-it-all"'s would first do some *basic* research and know what advice their dispensing! If there were an application similar to Skype, please state it here. This is what Skype currently has:

- cross-platform (Windows, MacOS, GNU/Linux, Android, iOS, Symbian, Maemo, MeeGo, etc.)
    - allows making phone calls to landline/mobiles for a low rate
    - voice over wi-fi, even 3G if possible
    - video chat

For the "know-it-all"'s, please list the QNX or BB OS application that does the above. If you can't check off all the criteria, then you don't have a solution. Please refrain from giving further advice.
    11-04-11 06:46 PM
    You realize this is the reason why most people hate Blackberry and Blackberry users. You actually need to do work to make your device work. The only reason I frequent Crackberry is to find solutions to my phone's problems or limitations. With other operating systems, I have been able to get by a lot easier.

You might argue that the average consumer is an ***** and berate them for not being able to search on a forum for a solution. But why would they have to go through the trouble when other operating systems already have things that work right out of the box like Skype?

Playbook owners shouldn't have to look for a Reelportal thread on Crackberry when they want to do video chats. In fact, I only know this because I frequent the forums. Whereas most iOS users already know about Skype and just download it from the App Store. If we are to gain marketshare, we need to make the process as simple as possible so that it will address all of the market, and not just the tech savvy on Crackberry.

Your condescending attitude is exactly why the average user hates Blackberry. Because they think its full of stuffy old men who are too proud to use anything else. Is this true? No not necessarily. But frowning on the average user for being too stupid to use Blackberry isn't helping it win any fans, and I would say right now you are fulfilling the j@ckass Blackberry stereotype. Its not helping Blackberry change its image at all.

And why would he be lower than average for wanting Skype on his Playbook? Is there something wrong with Skype? My partner and I are both clinicians and are constantly on the run, and try to video chat whenever we have an opportunity. Its been frustrating not having Skype on my Playbook as she has on her iPad 2, because she is not fond of technology and doesn't like the hassle of work arounds. You might say that she is lower than average in terms of tech ability and you would be right. Is this bad though? No. There are tons of people who are not tech savvy but they hold other things with higher value in their lives than technology, like making sure we do a good job clinically assessing our patients. If they can't be bothered with work arounds, RIM should be addressing these people with better support, and not the other way around.

RIM is losing because it expects people to like their half *** support and figure work arounds all the time. For Crackberry users that's not a big deal, but for the average consumer, it is, and unless this attitude is changed, RIM's reputation and market share will keep going down.
    I think you seriously missed the point...
    I was not telling anyone to do a forum search for a workaround for anything...I was saying that if someone bought a PlayBook, based solely on the MOCKUP of appworld showing skype on the PlayBook, that they should have done a little more research...that's all...

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    11-05-11 06:33 AM
    Well said!

Further, I wish these people who are "know-it-all"'s would first do some *basic* research and know what advice their dispensing! If there were an application similar to Skype, please state it here. This is what Skype currently has:

- cross-platform (Windows, MacOS, GNU/Linux, Android, iOS, Symbian, Maemo, MeeGo, etc.)
    - allows making phone calls to landline/mobiles for a low rate
    - voice over wi-fi, even 3G if possible
    - video chat

For the "know-it-all"'s, please list the QNX or BB OS application that does the above. If you can't check off all the criteria, then you don't have a solution. Please refrain from giving further advice.
    Well the Skype video chat isn't available on Meego (yet) or Symbian (Fring not allowed to do it anymore) either.

There are several apps similar to Skype, of course. Ones that do video chat on Playbook? Reelportal. Calls to landline/mobiles? Have to use a separate app like eComWave.

That's pretty much it right now since Android Player doesn't support camera. If it did support camera, I could easily add a few more for sure.
    11-05-11 09:42 AM
    You realize this is the reason why most people hate Blackberry and Blackberry users...
    Your condescending attitude is exactly why the average user hates Blackberry. Because they think its full of stuffy old men who are too proud to use anything else.
    Wow, people make choices of which device suits them best by looking around at the users, and actually hate them? Instead of researching how well it suits their needs? That's enlightening, explains a lot, pretty sad.

And you're NOT being condescending? That's a rather bigoted and broad declaration, and I might add very insulting to most people in here. . Do you speak for all device users? All of them hate blackberry and blackberry users? What is the "average user"? You and those who liked your post? I had no idea we were hated because of our device choice. News to me.

I might make a decision because it doesn't have Skype, but making it based on the attitude SOME of the users means there is NO device I could get.

What makes me ill is people who can't take responsibility for their own dumb decisions and have to blame someone one else ad nauseaum REGARDLESS of which device or which users, or which bad decision in life we are talking about...nothing personal of course.

I'd like to have Skype too, honestly, but I take full credit for buying a tablet that they don't support.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-06-11 at 02:38 AM.
    11-06-11 01:49 AM
    There's two courses of action a PB user can take:

Find a way to make it work or cross your arms and pout until Skype comes.
    11-06-11 01:14 PM
    There's two courses of action a PB user can take:

Find a way to make it work or cross your arms and pout until Skype comes.
    3). Sell Playbook while it still has some resale value, use money to buy one of the myriad devices that can run Skype
    11-06-11 02:43 PM
    You realize this is the reason why most people hate Blackberry and Blackberry users..
    I don't think most people "hate" BlackBerry, BlackBerry users, or any other tech brand or their users. Though I can look at RIM's reports and fairly describe user attitudes toward BlackBerry as often apathetic or indifferent, "hate" seems awfully strong in light of the available evidence.
    11-06-11 02:50 PM
    3). Sell Playbook while it still has some resale value, use money to buy one of the myriad devices that can run Skype
    That's covered under option 1.
    11-06-11 02:56 PM
    I repeat, yes Skype is vastly preferred and in my view essential to be included in OS 2.0 delivered in February 2012 to seal my preference for the Playbook over the iPad, that I have found both Comwave's ePhone and skype via IMO.im to be good value for money solutions for international video and voice calling with my Playbook.

Both are simple to try... Do!
    11-06-11 05:41 PM
90 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD