Skype will only be ported to Playbook if Skype/MS feels it's in their best interest to do so. Nothing RIM does will make that happen, short of throwing millions of dollars at them. Even then, they could choose not to do so. The best thing to do is contact Skype directly and express your interest in a port to the Playbook platform (including future phones).
    As for the 'false advertising' on RIM's behalf. Well, they probably thought it was going to happen when they made those photos and ad materials before launch. If they're still advertising it actively in screenshots, then that's misleading, agreed. But they can't go back in time and erase existing pics from the Internet, so unfortunately what's done is done.

Sounds like there's an Android Skype client working though, and despite not currently having video support, that'll get resolved probably around the 2.0 public release timeframe as RIM gets more QNX/Android functionality tied together.
    sharpehenry likes this.
    10-31-11 01:23 AM
    wasn't talking directly to him...in general...if you make an uninformed purchase...and it does NOT do what you saw in a picture...or a commercial...then you did YOURSELF a disservice...

Now my crack team of law experts are getting a case together...I was driving down a bumpy road in the rain and the Michelin man did NOT show up and throw new tires on my car....and the batch of sea monkeys I bought...there's no glasses on the dad one...at least I think it's the dad...
    Lol!

I know, huh. I learned my lesson on advertising when despite the claims, the X-ray specs I ordered from the comic books could NOT be used to see through women's clothes!!

Now that I'm grown up I STILL believe everything I see ...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-31-11 at 03:46 AM.
    10-31-11 03:37 AM
    It sounds as if that picture is still showing. I have not verified it but if so - it should be removed.
    Why? Are you still going to believe Skype is available for playbook until the proof is gone?
    10-31-11 03:39 AM
    Honestly though, isn't this to be expected from an "evil greedy corporation" ?
    Don't like it? Go occupy Wall Street. Don't buy their product.
    10-31-11 03:44 AM
    Stop the bickering...I have a solution.

Tell the person u want to video chat with on a regular basis to buy the playbook and then use the PB's video chat function.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-11 08:07 AM
    Yes, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but prepare yourself for more of this same disappointment with the playbook. Most of us in here bought a product that hasnt been delivered yet- be forewarned, skype aside, even when the ceo's of the company themselves tell you something you will find out months later its not true.

Then prepare yourself for the annoying flies buzzing around the forum defending them lie after lie, misleading statement after misleading statement, for a tablet half completed and released with no evidence they plan on doing anything else except adding a language pack here and fixing a minor bug there.

10-31-11 08:12 AM
    it's called due diligence...and it's nobody's fault but your own if you believe everything you see...

take siri for example...at first glance...the commercial depicts it as a flawlessly working fully developed program, that will interpret natural speech patterns with stunning accuracy...while in a tiny orange square nestled next to the siri blurb that you have to SEARCH for on the apple website...it says BETA...nowhere on the commercial...

but, I guess that's ok for apple to do...since they're the popular kid...
    You honestly don't see the difference between an existent beta product and a nonexistent app that RIM flaunted in their ad campaigns? Ignorance must be bliss.
    10-31-11 08:41 AM
    Yay! A pretty picture!

Google is your friend. PlayBook plus skype equals no.

If you base your purchase on a picture or commercials you kinda get what you were after...a picture.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    I did.. But I will tell you a secret.. I can view this picture on BlackBerry Bridge without my carrier knowing that I am usig a PlayBook ooooooh lol xD

10-31-11 09:22 AM
    I did.. But I will tell you a secret.. I can view this picture on BlackBerry Bridge without my carrier knowing that I am usig a PlayBook ooooooh lol xD

Point being�?
    10-31-11 09:33 AM
    Point being�?
    When I got a BlackBerry and found that Skype lunched later exclusive for Verizon I really knew before buying the PlayBook that it will never make its way to Skype just as the BlackBerry, that's why I got an iPad2 the same day with it so both the complete my objectives.

Yes PlayBook helped a lot in completing my objective by Bridge however I still don't feel that the amount of money I paid was only worth this function. I expected more from RIM

While the iPad2 delivered to me what was expected Apps.

I am not defending any of them, I hate Apple products, but unfortunately the both suck each has only one unique feature and none of them can do a full job.

PlayBook can do full browsing but NOT even low quality Office suite can't even create low quality presentations

While the iPad can make powerful looking documents but very poor web browsing.

But at least Apple can improve and when it promise it does what it promised.

But RIM has made the PlayBook a low quality product, all retailers putting it on sale to get rid of it because of RIM lies!

nextlevel88 likes this.
    10-31-11 09:42 AM
    RIM is playing catch up to get applications that other phones and tablets have had for months. I don't think people are understanding the ramifications of this. What happens when the next Skype comes out?

What I am saying is this. Let's say there is some amazing app in the works right now. It comes to iOS and android first, no doubt. How much longer will the PlayBook have to wait?

This is why when people talk about PlayBook potential it makes me cringe. The potential is 100x greater for iOS devices because they ALREADY have developers on board, they don't have to try to lure them onto their platform. Who knows what people are working on right now for iOS, but I'm sure it'll come to the larger user bases first.
    10-31-11 09:48 AM
    it's called due diligence...and it's nobody's fault but your own if you believe everything you see...

take siri for example...at first glance...the commercial depicts it as a flawlessly working fully developed program, that will interpret natural speech patterns with stunning accuracy...while in a tiny orange square nestled next to the siri blurb that you have to SEARCH for on the apple website...it says BETA...nowhere on the commercial...

but, I guess that's ok for apple to do...since they're the popular kid...
    I am not sure what your point is, since Apple has openly labeled it a beta (starting with the very first announcement on stage). But the funny thing is, it works amazingly well even though they consider it beta -- those commercials are understating it if anything. I wish RIM's released software was half as good as the Siri beta.
    10-31-11 09:57 AM
    wasn't talking directly to him...in general...if you make an uninformed purchase...and it does NOT do what you saw in a picture...or a commercial...then you did YOURSELF a disservice...

Now my crack team of law experts are getting a case together...I was driving down a bumpy road in the rain and the Michelin man did NOT show up and throw new tires on my car....and the batch of sea monkeys I bought...there's no glasses on the dad one...at least I think it's the dad...
    Really�? You're comparing a company using a fictional character to promote its products to a company promoting software for its platform that doesn't exist? Do you realize how that sounds? "Ha!!! You saw Skype on the PlayBook's website and thought it was coming to the PlayBook?!?!?!?! That's like ordering Sea-Monkeys and expecting the dad to wear glasses!!!! FOOL!!!"

Great picture to paint of a company�
    10-31-11 10:22 AM
    Yes, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but prepare yourself for more of this same disappointment with the playbook. Most of us in here bought a product that hasnt been delivered yet- be forewarned, skype aside, even when the ceo's of the company themselves tell you something you will find out months later its not true.

Then prepare yourself for the annoying flies buzzing around the forum defending them lie after lie, misleading statement after misleading statement, for a tablet half completed and released with no evidence they plan on doing anything else except adding a language pack here and fixing a minor bug there.

Actually, most "in here" are happy with the PB.
    Jake Storm and jafobabe like this.
    10-31-11 10:30 AM
    Yes, I hate to be the bearer of bad news...
    You'd never know...

Then prepare yourself for the annoying flies buzzing around the forum ...
    speaking of annoying flies...
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-31-11 10:42 AM
    My PlayBook with v2.0... (developer build) can run the android version of skype and I logged in this week.
    So just wait for the Android player.
    Berrimad likes this.
    10-31-11 10:54 AM
    My PlayBook with v2.0... (developer build) can run the android version of skype and I logged in this week.
    So just wait for the Android player.
    Like there's a choice! Wait. Yawn, Wait, Yawn....... repeat until some EXPECTED date.
    10-31-11 11:53 AM
    Actually, most "in here" are happy with the PB.
    Not by a long shot. Holy moley...

You'd never know...
    Well, how ironic you two posted so quick back to back. Wont dignify with any more of a response.

Like there's a choice! Wait. Yawn, Wait, Yawn....... repeat until some EXPECTED date.
    Yea and at this point in the ad infinitum who honestly believes February? Ha, what will happen when March 1 gets here... will they officially announce "2.0 coming soon"? haha just you wait....

10-31-11 12:44 PM
    I'm still waiting on Angry Birds to drop on this darn thing, and that was annouced at BBW by Mike himself. If something like that won't pop up on the App World what makes you guys think that Skype will be dropping anytime soon?
    10-31-11 04:32 PM
    okay. original poster here.
    some of you are thinking that I bought this device hoping that the Skype will release soon.
    I did not buy this based on rumors and my hopes for future apps. If it were true, I propably bought something else that already has Skype ready tab or just Skype phone.

I did some research before I bought this; portability was my key point for choosing one of these tabs, hence I thought 7 inches were better choice than upper sized tabs. Within these 7 inches, and since I travel frequently, I thought less expensive 3g/4g network connectivity might be a plus. I already had bold 9700 and with older version of bridge app, I found out I could tether for free without costing me $45 plan for my AT&T device.

So yes, I studied for my tabs before I made a purchase and Playbook is just doing well whatever I am using it for.

Skype would be an awesome addition and I do hope that it will be available for the Playbook in the future. And you cannot blame me for seeing the Skype app in the app world photo in the official blackberry homepage (yes, it is still on homepage.) some of you argued that I should not believe everything that I see, but if Blackberry has ability to take down the misleading ads but didn't, then it is a false advertising.

well, this post is getting longer than I thought. But I hope you did get my point. I was not trying to attack anyone, but if you felt that way then I apologize.

So..yeah I will not return my playbook since I am happy with it the way it is now except for that minor glitches I see here and there (wifi g @ 11mbps?? lol) and so should you. you made a decision to buy this device so stop complain and use it.

Yes, I am disappointed at Blackberry, but also thankful for their products.
    Hope I didn't bore anyone with my rambling lol.
    Last edited by sharpehenry; 10-31-11 at 06:55 PM.
    mc21 and jamesjmunro like this.
    10-31-11 06:51 PM
    Thanks for confirming that that foolish and "confusing" image is still on Rim's site.

Enjoy your pb.
    10-31-11 07:51 PM
    You honestly don't see the difference between an existent beta product and a nonexistent app that RIM flaunted in their ad campaigns? Ignorance must be bliss.
    This is called misleading advertising/information.

RIM have implied there is a Skype app for the PB. There clearly is not. Thus RIM have mislead.

In the UK, if one could prove that the inclusion of a Skype app formed part of the reason one purchased a PB... based on the implied advertising by RIM... It would be reason enough to legally force RIM or supplier to provide a full refund.

This would cost nothing to chase via trading standards which can be found in every council up and down the land.

Shame I'm not back home and brought this crap in Australia.
    10-31-11 08:33 PM
    TAT twisted the knife further by including it in their cascades demo at DevCon
    10-31-11 09:24 PM
    actually skype beta - if you port , but its only IMing - its an android app but works perfectly - just no video
    Berrimad likes this.
    10-31-11 10:05 PM
    I find two Skype alternatives work quite well. Www.comwave.net/ephone, $20 for a year of service globally. Also IMO.im, then Skype sign in, works well on the Playook as well.

Would still prefer Skype, but keeping the PB faith.
    10-31-11 10:43 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD