So, I am messing around with spreadsheet in docs to go but I can't seem to find the method for adding subtracting multiply the value of different cells the same way I would in regular excel ie +A5*C6=value. I see the functions list on the menu but they don't really give me what I am looking for.
    Anyone?
    Thanks
    01-11-13 03:17 PM
    Hi
    I've just had a quick go, although haven't used this before, only MS Excel

I put 2 in A1, then 3 in B1, the put "=sum(a1*b1)" without quotes, of course, into C1 and got "6"
    Same but with =sum(a1, b1) and got "5"

Does that help in any way?

Cheers
    01-11-13 04:04 PM
    I may have to try the equal sign to qualify as an formula because it seems that the formula carried over from download ss still has that in there even though the desktop excel will auto add =when putting in a computation.
    01-11-13 05:49 PM
    An equal sign is the likely solution for your problem. It tells the program that the contents of the cell are a formula. IIRC the "+" sign usage is legacy and the full version of Excel is probably looking after it on that basis. The Docs to Go version is pretty good, but no where nearly as full featured.
    01-11-13 06:00 PM
    Thanks all yes the= sign did the trick
    01-11-13 06:07 PM
    I may have to try the equal sign to qualify as an formula because it seems that the formula carried over from download ss still has that in there even though the desktop excel will auto add =when putting in a computation.
    Excel doesn't insert the = sign automatically if you just type a computation in the formula box. It does add the = sign automatically if you press the fx (Insert Function) button.
    01-11-13 11:51 PM
    Excel doesn't insert the = sign automatically if you just type a computation in the formula box. It does add the = sign automatically if you press the fx (Insert Function) button.
    that is not correct and yes it does add the =. I ve never put the = sign or pressed fx in for a calculation. Once you enter it in with only +Excel auto adds going forward. I've been using + only since Lotus 123
    01-12-13 10:35 AM
    I've been using + only since Lotus 123
    I was thinking that was a holdover from good old Lotus 123 days, but that was a while ago so I wasn't sure. Glad you mentioned it.
    GV2012 likes this.
    01-12-13 11:22 AM
    that is not correct and yes it does add the =. I ve never put the = sign or pressed fx in for a calculation. Once you enter it in with only +Excel auto adds going forward. I've been using + only since Lotus 123
    I think Angus_CB meant if you didn't have the "+" there. Excel presumably supports the "+" for backwards compatibility, but what I think Angus_CB meant was that if you just type in a formula (e.g. "12+3"), Excel will do nothing with it, you need to put the "=" there (or a "+" apparently, this thread was the first I heard that that worked; I was always taught to use "=" in school IT lessons etc.).

My assumption would be that, like myself, Angus_CB was previously unaware of being able to use "+", so thought you meant that Excel added an "=" to any formula, which is not the case, of course.
    01-12-13 11:37 AM
    Hi
    I've just had a quick go, although haven't used this before, only MS Excel

I put 2 in A1, then 3 in B1, the put "=sum(a1*b1)" without quotes, of course, into C1 and got "6"
    Same but with =sum(a1, b1) and got "5"

Does that help in any way?

Cheers
    What if I want to add multiple cells of a column? How should I structure the function?
    05-11-16 06:02 AM
    What if I want to add multiple cells of a column? How should I structure the function?
    If I've understood your question correctly, if I had numbers in cells A1 down to A10 and I wanted to add them all up I would use "=SUM(A1:A10)".
    05-18-16 07:08 AM