I was afraid they would disable sideloading on the official OS2...

Glad to see it still works since the only 2 Android apps I really needed aren't on AppWorld:

Repligo Reader - probably the best PDF reader out there
    Messenger with you - very nice MSN Live messenger app
    02-21-12 08:59 AM
    Can you point me towards where I can read about this please, I keep seeing sideloading and bar files mentioned but don't know anything about them!
    02-21-12 09:01 AM
    Can you point me towards where I can read about this please, I keep seeing sideloading and bar files mentioned but don't know anything about them!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...eloading-f258/
    wayneh71 likes this.
    02-21-12 09:02 AM
    I'm surprised that RIM lets you do sideloading on the official version. As it's kind of illegal-- people can just download bar files and install them without having to pay.
    02-21-12 09:05 AM
    tried side loading a number of different apps form android that according to the excel file should have worked but they don't launch. SO far only got side loaded kindle to work.
    02-21-12 09:11 AM
    sideloading is the best way for developers to test their own bar files without having to use the simulator or without having to let the playbook run unsigned apps.

not only that, if we couldnt sideload officially, people would and moan that blackberry phones can download apps from sources other than appworld, so the tablet should be able to as well.

or people would jailbreak and do it anyway

either way its gonna happen, why not include it "for developers" and have less people ********
    02-21-12 09:13 AM
    I was afraid they would disable sideloading on the official OS2...

Glad to see it still works since the only 2 Android apps I really needed aren't on AppWorld:

Repligo Reader - probably the best PDF reader out there
    Messenger with you - very nice MSN Live messenger app
    Would it be possible for you to share the repligo reader bar file? This is a app would love to have on my PB! Many thanks!
    02-21-12 09:15 AM
    Tested this first thing. Side-loaded Marble Blast for Android and thus killed two testing birds with one stone. :-)

Note: Marble Blast requires that you put the tablet into Airplane Mode before it'll work reliably. Otherwise, you get stuck in an endless loop of "Feint" prompts. Very annoying.

RCK
    02-21-12 09:18 AM
    I'm surprised that RIM lets you do sideloading on the official version. As it's kind of illegal-- people can just download bar files and install them without having to pay.
    Absolutely 100% inaccurate. There is NOTHING illegal about sideloading, check your facts first please.

If you sideload a paid app that you have not paid for then it is your actions that are breaking the law.

In fact it was the act of downloading that pirated software that was illegal, I doubt it even matters whether you sideload it or not.
    02-21-12 09:25 AM
    sideloading is the best way for developers to test their own bar files without having to use the simulator or without having to let the playbook run unsigned apps.

not only that, if we couldnt sideload officially, people would and moan that blackberry phones can download apps from sources other than appworld, so the tablet should be able to as well.

or people would jailbreak and do it anyway

either way its gonna happen, why not include it "for developers" and have less people ********
    I won't complain for having this --- it benefits users including me. Hope they don't get sued.
    02-21-12 09:27 AM
    Absolutely 100% inaccurate. There is NOTHING illegal about sideloading, check your facts first please.

If you sideload a paid app that you have not paid for then it is your actions that are breaking the law.

In fact it was the act of downloading that pirated software that was illegal, I doubt it even matters whether you sideload it or not.
    I can't agree with you on this. To me it's a violation of copyright. And I'm sure the developers won't be happy to see this.

But if RIM doesn't care, what do I care? I'll just enjoy sideloading then.
    02-21-12 09:31 AM
    Would it be possible for you to share the repligo reader bar file? This is a app would love to have on my PB! Many thanks!
    So sorry but I can't, it's a paid app.
    02-21-12 10:13 AM
    I can't agree with you on this. To me it's a violation of copyright. And I'm sure the developers won't be happy to see this.

But if RIM doesn't care, what do I care? I'll just enjoy sideloading then.
    What is a violation of copyright? Having the ability to load software onto your electronics is not a violation of copyright. Do you own a desktop or laptop computer? Can you imagine not being able to load software onto it on your own?

RIM should be applauded for making this easy for anyone to do, locking down your phones or tablets like apple does is just plain wrong.

Why do you think there is an exception to some American copyright/digital protections bill that legally allows jail breaking in the US? Because it is wrong to not allow this, if I legally own something how dare anyone tell me what I can and cannot do with it. It is completely legal here in Canada.

So out of curiosity do you think SOPA is a good idea?
    02-21-12 10:22 AM
    So sorry but I can't, it's a paid app.
    No problem... I tought there was a free version. No luck!
    02-21-12 02:01 PM
    No problem... I tought there was a free version. No luck!
    http://playbookbars.com/------- look here
    02-21-12 02:11 PM
    I went to the sideloading thread. Is this still the methood with the new release of 2.0 or has it changed?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    02-21-12 05:02 PM
    Couldn't get any sideloaded...
    02-21-12 05:04 PM
    I sideloaded and all looked good from DDPB perspective but the applications are nowhere to be found.
    02-21-12 05:05 PM
    02-22-12 01:53 PM
    I am a memeber there also. They do a great job. All of the links work, unlike with other places where you are constantly running into dead links. They also take requests. I've requested an app on that thread and had it installed and running with in 10 minutes. Definately worth checking out if your looking for android apps outside of app world.
    02-22-12 07:24 PM
    Has anyone run accross tunein radio?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    02-22-12 07:34 PM
    Sideloading is like Legally Jailbreaking
    02-22-12 07:38 PM
    What is a violation of copyright? Having the ability to load software onto your electronics is not a violation of copyright. Do you own a desktop or laptop computer? Can you imagine not being able to load software onto it on your own?

RIM should be applauded for making this easy for anyone to do, locking down your phones or tablets like apple does is just plain wrong.

Why do you think there is an exception to some American copyright/digital protections bill that legally allows jail breaking in the US? Because it is wrong to not allow this, if I legally own something how dare anyone tell me what I can and cannot do with it. It is completely legal here in Canada.

So out of curiosity do you think SOPA is a good idea?
    Since we are discussing this issue, let me offer my opinion.

I own the copyright to software that I offer for sale in a digital store, not RIM and not any other third party. RIM's apparent willingness to allow you to sideload my software onto a PlayBook has no bearing whatsoever on whether you are breaking the law (or not). You need MY permission to use my software, not RIM's. If I do not want you to use my software in any particular circumstance, it is my right to forbid it.

Loading software onto a device when you are not explicitly licensed to do so is a copyright infringement. If you obtain a licence to use software on one device and then take the liberty of repackaging it and self-signing it, without the express permission of the copyright owner, you are breaking the law. I you distribute the repackaged and self-signed software in any way, including loading into onto a non-licenced device, you are breaking the law.
    02-22-12 07:46 PM
    Sideloading is like Legally Jailbreaking
    There are so many things wrong with this statement, I don't quite know where to start. Suffice to say that the legality of loading 3rd-party software onto a device is not even remotely connected to the legality of modifying a device's hardware or operating system configuration. The first instance is subject to copyright laws while the second is not (assuming that you are not loading a stolen operating system on the device).
    02-22-12 08:06 PM
    Bump up this old discussion. I think time has proved what I thought is right: There is no way RIM can let users just sideload apps and don't pay for anything. They'll get themselves into trouble.

I totally agree sideload should only be available for developers. Lacking of good apps and losing users becasue of so is one thing, copyright is another thing. RIM can't just say because Playbook platform lacks of good apps so I'll let users pirate whatever they want so users can be happy.
    04-10-12 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD