I've just been introduced to the world of side loading android apps and it so easy. After using Google I found a number of sites offering the free versions of Android apps which I've now got on my PlayBook.

From one of the sites I also downloaded a bar file which I believed to be another android conversion, but it appears it a real PlayBook app! Whilst I've deleted it from my PlayBook, I did start the game and I'm now paranoid that my device could be infected in some way and I'm considering doing a security wipe and starting over.

Does anyone know if there are any vulnerabilities with the PlayBook?

And before anyone says 'you did not know!' I genuinely did think it was a free cut down or demo version.
    10-19-12 12:38 AM
    Honestly, I don't think it's possible to have major vulnerabilities on the PlayBook. There are no known viruses. Moreover, I've sideloaded way too many times without having anything happen. Don't worry about it.
    kwoodcock likes this.
    10-19-12 12:44 AM
    I only have a PB since June, but i've been sideloading since the first week!

I've instaled and deleted apps, and so far i havent noticed any issues in the PB's stability!

Most of the apps i use are android or android ported.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    kwoodcock likes this.
    10-19-12 12:58 AM
    I have seen a few bad apps. Damage is rare and so far accidental. But ive seen a few apps create document folders and files as system instead of user. This results in files / folders you cant delete. And if the app doesnt have native file delete capabilities the files / folders are stuck until a reimage. Some sensitive files under the root as well are vulnerable as well.

But the biggest risk is a group of hackers may make fake apps or app launchers that collect your personal data. This wss done on the iPad and Android to collect, use and sell your personal information. I have also seen iOS apps make false inapp purchases on your behalf or say it is one price (99 cents for example) and they come throuh at a higher one (i.e. 99 bucks). Android is worse. Look up fake inapp purchases for more info.

With that said those are at as much of a risk from app store as from sideloading.

Ed
    kwoodcock likes this.
    10-19-12 01:14 AM
    Never had a problem with sideloading, just wish the android kernel would get updated so that more of the 'high level' apps and games would work. But i've done it since day 1 of owning & now love the separate window function in 2.1
    kwoodcock likes this.
    10-19-12 04:57 AM
    Thanks guys, feeling a bit more confident that all is OK. But I forgot to mention in my first post that there was a splash screen which loaded prior to the app fully starting which states it was provided by store.playbookapps.info.

After searching the net the site does not exist, which is even more worrying. Possibly because it was a dodgy site?

Security wipe getting closer......
    10-19-12 06:37 AM
    I say don't do it roght now... I'm suffering the consequences right now myself.. u can't delete the files system that it roots to. eventually RIM will get it right but everything is still being t
    10-19-12 06:52 AM
    tested.. ( sorry hit the enter key early on that last reply)

anyways..research in motion.. is exactly what it says in the name...lol
    10-19-12 06:54 AM
    Disagree - you can delete the files. If you sideload ES File Explorer you can use the app manager to rid yourself of the app, then use xplore to delete the folders that are written. To be honest its no different to an android tab. When you delete an app you still have to manually root around your folders & delete the additional things that are installed by an app.

The one thing that RIM have 'wrong' is that upon a first restart of the PB the apps will re-appear. Just take 2 secs to delete them again, but then should be gone forever, especially if folders have been cleared up.
    10-19-12 08:57 AM
    Thanks guys, feeling a bit more confident that all is OK. But I forgot to mention in my first post that there was a splash screen which loaded prior to the app fully starting which states it was provided by store.playbookapps.info.

After searching the net the site does not exist, which is even more worrying. Possibly because it was a dodgy site?

Security wipe getting closer......
    As mentioned in other threads, some sideloaded Android apps may not function or store/delete data as expected. Someone reported yesterday that a Pokemon game's history disappeared. The Wall Street Journal android app didn't delete almost 1 gig of history (text, history) although it is supposed to keep only 7 rolling days. Apps like Ghost Commander, or connecting the PB to your computer and using Windows Explorer to view data files, are ways to see what's being kept.
    10-19-12 09:22 AM
    Here's the thing. Android apps don't get ROOT! No one get's root. That's why dingleberry is so hard right now. Therefore, no matter what, you don't have to worry about root vulnerabilities.
    10-23-12 12:45 AM
    I have heard that a new virus is infecting the playbook. It attacks the QNX OS kernel and makes it look like iOS. What a nightmare...
    10-23-12 09:30 AM
    I have heard that a new virus is infecting the playbook. It attacks the QNX OS kernel and makes it look like iOS. What a nightmare...
    Lol! As long as it doesn't add that darn Home button and take away swiping...
    10-23-12 11:15 AM
    lol, well with the new ipad mini maybe its a plant virus for apple to continue their path to world domination! kinda makes me think of wall-e and buy n large lol
    10-23-12 05:05 PM