Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hawnz
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Side-Loaded TextPlus Killed By 2.1--Now How Can I Free Text?

I have no Blackberry phone to bridge to and use BBM. I used to use a side-loaded Textplus Android app to text my daughter but it doesn't work with the 2.1 update. I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it and it still didn't work. Textfree also doesn't work. Does anyone know of another way--any way--to free text from my Playbook. I love this thing but this is making me wonder if I should try to downgrade back to 668 or earlier. Help please!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Side-Loaded TextPlus Killed By 2.1--Now How Can I Free Text?

Not sure about those ones but Text Me works on the PB. Notifications don't work but its the closest I could find to a cross platform app that works. Good eReader has it in their app store.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

If you live in the US, you can set up a Google Voice account to text with. I really want a good sms app.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks but I tried Textme with 2.1 and it also doesn't work . . .it keeps telling me there's a missing parameter when I try to sign up. It won't accept any age I enter. And I'm in Canada so I gather Google Voice is not available. Anyone else have any ideas?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Not sure about the missing parameter stuff. I originally had it on my WP7 when I signed up for it. If you have an iPhone or Android phone you could try installing it through that and then signing in on your PB
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

Default Side-Loaded TextPlus Killed By 2.1--Now How Can I Free Text?

Quote Originally Posted by jsdhornby View Post
    I have no Blackberry phone to bridge to and use BBM. I used to use a side-loaded Textplus Android app to text my daughter but it doesn't work with the 2.1 update. I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it and it still didn't work. Textfree also doesn't work. Does anyone know of another way--any way--to free text from my Playbook. I love this thing but this is making me wonder if I should try to downgrade back to 668 or earlier. Help please!
    I am sure you did some research on the PB before you purchased knowing many of its functions run via a bridged BB phone. You took a risk.

Buy a BB phone so can fully use your pad or downgrade the OS.

But then you will miss put on the new goodies as they come along.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.2.1.2141
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    J.C. BlackBerry, What's your game?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks Tim and the others. Can you steer me to a description of how to downgrade my OS. That would work nicely for me. I am totally committed to the Playbook--I actually enjoy trying to adapt it to do most of my computer chores. I use Docs To Go for a myriad of tasks, the calendar is my organizer, and I use the browser constantly. But since I don't have a phone, the bbm through bridge isn't helping. I will be searching for info on downgrade of course, but suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks. (And any further ideas on the side-loading android problems with textplus on 2.1 would be appreciated)
    CrackBerry Addict

Maybe this link will help? Playbook OS Downgrade Tutorial - BerryLicio.us | BerryLicio.us It is for an older OS2 version, but the steps are there, you may have to hunt for the newest of the old OS you want. Of course use it at your own risk, especially since some of it may or may not apply (or even work).
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

I sent a request to Koz and he updated so on the Ask Koz to convert thread you can get the updated Text Me 1.6.5.6125 which works. I just installed and signed up, it did give me a force close first attempt but this time after I registered and then it loaded ok. I managed to send a text to myself, haven`t figured out how to add anyone else yet.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Thanks so much djenkins6. You know. . . these PlayBook really are fabulous and the community is incredible. I actually have got the old version of TextPlus working. I'm not exactly sure why, but here's what I did: First I did a backup, wipe, and debrick. Then I re-sideloaded TextPlus using DDPB. It worked at first but when I closed it, on re-opening it, it forced a close. Every time I tried to open it it forced a close. So I uninstalled it and re-installed it. Making sure my wi-fi was turned on, I opened TextPlus and again all was well. Rather than risk having problems from closing it again, I have decided to leave it open and when I'm finished texting it can be paused in the background. Wi-fi can be turned on or off without disturbing anything, and since it's paused it won't drain the battery--standby also doesn't affect it. I get so much out of this app that it's worth the minor hassle. And not having to downgrade is great (kudos to those who tried to dissuade me) because 2.1 really does seem to be a very stable version with lots of little bonuses ( a big bonus of BBM for those with a BlackBerry phone).
    I will, though, try the updated TextPlus when I get a chance, sounds like it might be possible to close it when finished, kind of nice.
    Thanks to all.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

One more thing on this. You only get one chance to get this right. Once you get the forced close window, you'll get it forever after that, unless you wipe and then reload the app. Also, you can't hit all the buttons on the app or it also force closes. The safe buttons are the plus sign for adding a text and you can tap on the conversation you wish to open and the go back arrow once you are on the conversation page. Picky, but a valuable app. I do wish it worked better with 2.1.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I found a version of Textplus that will work on the 2.1 update.
    Download textPlus Int

download the apk file and then use the web converter to change it into a bar file using the web converter here:
    PlayBook .apk to .bar converter

I have also already told Koz so he'll probably update his app with this one so everyone will be able to use this app again.
    You are welcome.
    Thanked by:
    jsdhornby (10-11-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Thanks stylishp!! The community support for the playbook is amazing. I'm getting right to it.Cheers.
    IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY. BRILLIANT.
    Last edited by jsdhornby; 10-11-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

Textme has now been updated by Koz again in case you need an alternative- seems more stable now.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi I have a question I am using my playbook for the installing I said to pc and it downloaded but when I went to the Web converter and it didn't find what I downloaded should I do it on a plane or playbook?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Just installed text me.... works but for some reason the space bar does...so you can't put a space between the words you type...
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by thorajulia View Post
    Hi I have a question I am using my playbook for the installing I said to pc and it downloaded but when I went to the Web converter and it didn't find what I downloaded should I do it on a plane or playbook?
    Didn't quite understand your question. But use your pc to download the apk file. Then upload it to apk2bar website. Then download the converted file to your pc. Then use DDPB program on your pc to install the bar file on your Playbook. Good luck.
    CrackBerry Abuser

So the textplus works??
    Be a follower Follow me http://www.twitter.com/rauldela
    CrackBerry Genius

I just installed it. Seems to be working OK for me- spacebar and all.