We�ve heard that Research In Motion has been developing a BlackBerry 10 version for the PlayBook in conjunction to the development of BB10 for the next-gen phones.

A forums thread had asked this very question with the community�s answer being quite mixed. Some felt having a BB10 beta available for the PlayBook would open it up to criticism before its final release. Do you think RIM should push a BlackBerry 10 beta for the PlayBook?
    11-05-12 11:36 AM
    Yes
    We’ve heard that Research In Motion has been developing a BlackBerry 10 version for the PlayBook in conjunction to the development of BB10 for the next-gen phones.

A forums thread had asked this very question with the community’s answer being quite mixed. Some felt having a BB10 beta available for the PlayBook would open it up to criticism before its final release. Do you think RIM should push a BlackBerry 10 beta for the PlayBook?
    11-05-12 11:45 AM
    Yes
    but not happening till 2013
    11-05-12 11:53 AM
    No. Let's not give android and iOS app developers more to copy. We've waited this long, let's wait for the perfected BB 10's to drop first.
    bldshd likes this.
    11-05-12 12:01 PM
    I attended an Enterprise Forum event last month (Calgary) and the RIM spokeperson stated that Playbook would NOT get BB10 at phone launch however would be available 'shortly thereafter'.

After I was done shaking my head in disbelief I ... well, I'm still shaking it a lit bit to be honest. RIM wouldn't pull a 'Themes' trick would they? Communicate 'Its coming' updates and then cancel? Would they do that? When the Playbook is clearly a leader in their category and worth the ongoing strategic investment?.

Oh Sh*t.

I'm a fan. And have 2 Playbooks. I must admit I am starting to check out a little bit. I'm not one of the 'It needs Netflix for my life to be complete' people ... however ... this site clearly wants the Playbook to compete as a gaming system and not for the reasons that I want to use it. Does anyone use productivity / organization / planning apps available to the Playbook?
    11-05-12 12:10 PM
    but not happening till 2013
    2013 is only about 2 months away!

I think Beta will be released soon after the BB10 phones are released, though I would rather see the beta come out a week before Thanksgiving (US Thanksgiving... I wished it came out a week before Canadian Thanksgiving!). The media written off RIM, so I think BB10 will be a grassroots hit and then turn popular to the public.

If that is the case it would be great to release the beta before Black Friday and allow for PB owners to start the hype throughout the season until the phones hit the market. If RIM just says "here, the BB10 is in the stores", it will get sales by us, but not those on the fence... not until they start seeing and using other people's BB10 devices. RIM can't release the beta to phones for the general masses, but they can for the PlayBook, and the beta is what will create much of the hype (as well as assure skeptical customers that it is real now and *will* be released when promised).
    11-05-12 12:11 PM
    If RIM had 10 Million PlayBook users I think it would be a great way to get the ball rolling on building up the ecosystem, if developers got on board. Think that was the original hope for QNX on the PlayBook in the first place...

But RIM doesn't have much more than a few million PlayBooks out there, so not sure it would help. And if BB10 isn't ready then it isn't ready, so no need to give critics ammunition to tear RIM down.
    Herve5 likes this.
    11-05-12 12:12 PM
    I expect we will get the beta for BB10 sometime in 2013 but after the launch of BB 10 for phones.
    11-05-12 12:14 PM
    https://twitter.com/BlackBerryDev/st...90288896561153

Check out this twitter status response. Should be out sometime before Xmas...
    11-05-12 12:20 PM
    If RIM had 10 Million PlayBook users I think it would be a great way to get the ball rolling on building up the ecosystem, if developers got on board. Think that was the original hope for QNX on the PlayBook in the first place...

But RIM doesn't have much more than a few million PlayBooks out there, so not sure it would help. And if BB10 isn't ready then it isn't ready, so no need to give critics ammunition to tear RIM down.
    I think that because RIM doesn't have 10 Million PlayBook users that they need to release the beta first. If they had 10 million users for the PB then they really wouldn't be in the situation that they are in today. They need the grassroots hype, their marketing sucks, the media couldn't care less, and after the broken promises this will show that they are solidifying the date.

I honestly don't think that will be how they do it, but that is how *I want them to do it* and that is what I believe to be a good move by them. If it doesn't create huge hype, well it won't hurt them either. If they push back the date of BB10 (with or without PlayBook), well they are going out of business. They have zero option to delay and zero option to release an unfinished product (they know this, and that makes me more excited about how BB10 will be).
    11-05-12 12:26 PM

They must have come onto the CrackBerry forums and saw my posts. I will take full credit for persuding them, you are all welcome. haha j/k
    11-05-12 12:28 PM
    ahead of launch for the phones or ahead of launch for the PlayBook?

Sent from my BlackBerry By Choice Tapatalk
    11-05-12 12:29 PM

Ahead of launch on PlayBook, not ahead of BlackBerry 10 official launch is my understanding of that quote.
    BB_Bmore and peter9477 like this.
    11-05-12 12:31 PM

wow.... can't wait to put that on my pb....
    11-05-12 12:46 PM
    If they released a BB10 beta now, it would sure boost morale amongst the current PB users. The beta wouldn't need all the bells and whistles of the full BB10, just enough to let current users know that BB10 is really on it's way.
    11-05-12 12:59 PM
    Yea, Why not?
    11-05-12 01:38 PM
    If they released a BB10 beta now, it would sure boost morale amongst the current PB users. The beta wouldn't need all the bells and whistles of the full BB10, just enough to let current users know that BB10 is really on it's way.
    because there would be no apps that would work for it. Thats why.
    11-05-12 03:01 PM
    because there would be no apps that would work for it. Thats why.
    There aren't that many apps worth using now, so they should just release the beta for those who want a glimpse of it to decide if they really want to stick around for the full release.
    11-05-12 03:09 PM
    There are many apps in PlayBook appworld that are BlackBerry10 ready. Fwiw I read on the dev blog that there will be a bb10 beta sometime after the phones are launched. Let's hope it's not "soon " after.
    11-05-12 04:43 PM
    There are many apps in PlayBook appworld that are BlackBerry10 ready. Fwiw I read on the dev blog that there will be a bb10 beta sometime after the phones are launched. Let's hope it's not "soon " after.
    Man, did you miss the tweet? It may be any time now! "soon after phones launch" was what we knew prior to the "ahead of schedule "update!

I had a feeling that we could get the beta sooner than previously announced. First, things seem to be going very well when it comes to development. Second, they don't need carriers to approve releases for the PlayBook - which would allow them to bug test things that are common to both tablets and phones.

But I also have a feeling the first release won't be like the 2.0/2.1 betas, where you could just use the beta OS as your main OS. They will probably be heavily crippled versions to prevent feature leakage... Then we get more usable versions after the phones hit.
    11-05-12 04:57 PM
    Thats not true at all. Basically any webworks apps written for BlackBerry PlayBook is broken in BlackBerry 10 (has to be repackaged and some things need to be changed). The code might not work anymore since the browser is different .. .webworks is obviously affected. Current Cascades BlackBerry10 does not allow compatibility with PlayBook resolutions. Adobe AIR apps seem to have some issues with scaling/opening up in the right side up. RIM cant taken negative press. None of thesse are good reasons BlackBerry 10 to come to PlayBook soon. They arent going to sell more devices right now for it. If anything RIM will just be making BlackBerry 10 for PlayBook in preparation for their next tablet.

There aren't that many apps worth using now, so they should just release the beta for those who want a glimpse of it to decide if they really want to stick around for the full release.
    Where is the upside for RIM? It seems like you want to bolt off for another device anyways and its just now or later. Remember once your OS is out there it isnt out there just for you its for the competitors to see as well.
    11-05-12 05:16 PM
    I attended an Enterprise Forum event last month (Calgary) and the RIM spokeperson stated that Playbook would NOT get BB10 at phone launch however would be available 'shortly thereafter'.

After I was done shaking my head in disbelief I ... well, I'm still shaking it a lit bit to be honest. RIM wouldn't pull a 'Themes' trick would they? Communicate 'Its coming' updates and then cancel? Would they do that? When the Playbook is clearly a leader in their category and worth the ongoing strategic investment?.

Oh Sh*t.

I'm a fan. And have 2 Playbooks. I must admit I am starting to check out a little bit. I'm not one of the 'It needs Netflix for my life to be complete' people ... however ... this site clearly wants the Playbook to compete as a gaming system and not for the reasons that I want to use it. Does anyone use productivity / organization / planning apps available to the Playbook?
    I completely agree with the sentiment. I really don't care about the games, but comparable quality productivity, communication, and news apps to what's available on the iPad. I am really hoping BB10 narrows the gap.
    11-05-12 05:22 PM
    Hmmm. For a year and a half, this forum has been full of people criticizing Rim for the lack of apps for the Playbook. We know that it won't be until close to the launch of BB10 (likely March, 2013) that apps submitted for consideration will be approved. So why on earth would anyone want to have BB10 on his/her Playbook before the launch, when it is clear such a beta would have no apps whatsoever?
    11-05-12 05:25 PM
    I guess I did lol what tweet are you talking about?
    Man, did you miss the tweet? It may be any time now! "soon after phones launch" was what we knew prior to the "ahead of schedule "update!

I had a feeling that we could get the beta sooner than previously announced. First, things seem to be going very well when it comes to development. Second, they don't need carriers to approve releases for the PlayBook - which would allow them to bug test things that are common to both tablets and phones.

But I also have a feeling the first release won't be like the 2.0/2.1 betas, where you could just use the beta OS as your main OS. They will probably be heavily crippled versions to prevent feature leakage... Then we get more usable versions after the phones hit.
    11-05-12 05:34 PM
    We’ve heard that Research In Motion has been developing a BlackBerry 10 version for the PlayBook in conjunction to the development of BB10 for the next-gen phones.

A forums thread had asked this very question with the community’s answer being quite mixed. Some felt having a BB10 beta available for the PlayBook would open it up to criticism before its final release. Do you think RIM should push a BlackBerry 10 beta for the PlayBook?
    At this point, aside from keeping current adopters happy perhaps, I can not see the benefits to RIM of pushing a BB10 beta to the Playbook. I don't think it would help increase market share of the device nor do I think it will help convince the general public - the general public that has made a resounding choice to support every other tablet on the planet except the Playbook - to suddenly go out and purchase one.
    11-05-12 05:37 PM
29 12