View Poll Results: Should RIM block side-loading?

Voters
269. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, block it

58 21.56%
  • No, don't block it

115 42.75%
  • Keep it until we have a full featured app selection, then block it

75 27.88%
  • I don't care, I've never used it

21 7.81%
    The problem with full out blocking sideloading is a lot of apps either a)are ports that have pretty big markup 5$ for angrybirds ? or b) aren't on the appworld and might never be (let's be honest, not every dev will work to make a playbook version of their app for the size of the playbook user base)
    say 1 million users with 20% of them purchasing ... I know a few devs that would rush into this "niche" ...
    04-10-12 02:35 PM
    say 1 million users with 20% of them purchasing ... I know a few devs that would rush into this "niche" ...
    Yup. Some would. But a lot are holding back.
    04-10-12 02:49 PM
    By doing so, you clearly violate the license terms ... That I friendly understand (you don't tend to harm anything/anyone).
    But on a global point of view, you break the will of Amazon to keep its Kindle to selected distributors. It is their full right to do so ... even if we know only a snap is required to port Kindle on PB.

As I wrote before, just imagine a developer that gave (against $) the exclusivity of his (free) app to one distribution channel ... and find his app as a freely downloadable BAR ... it's a fail.
    Hmmm. Don't they make kindle available to Android devices? Isn't the pb an Android device? Can we, therefore, use kindle on our android side of our device?
    04-10-12 05:32 PM
    If it means more developers will jump on board then by all means block it.
    04-10-12 05:38 PM
    This is so true! PlayBook is an Android device and is therefore fully supported by Amazon - so all you need to do is open the Amazon store app on your device and download Kindle.
    Does this actually work? I know in a couple of instances, an UPGRADE was offered but the launch was attempted via "xxxx" browser and stalled at that point. I think that the pb and its android player does not know how to handle such links/references. I would imagine that it might even download but not be able to execute the actual installation?????

And this might be more a a pb Android Player issue - Rim might be blocking purposely or inadvertently this behavior requiring the user to jump through the hoop of appworld. Because, as noted, the pb is ANDROID and we should be entitled to interact with android sites for downloads.

(aside, I replied to Buzz's message but mine appears before his!!!! (timestamp shows it entered an hour earlier than I submitted it)
    Last edited by F2; 04-10-12 at 08:16 PM.
    04-10-12 07:14 PM
    Hmmm. Don't they make kindle available to Android devices? Isn't the pb an Android device? Can we, therefore, use kindle on our android side of our device?
    This is so true! PlayBook is an Android device and is therefore fully supported by Amazon - so all you need to do is open the Amazon store app on your device and download Kindle.
    04-10-12 07:34 PM
    Just because its an available option, does not always mean people have to use it. Keep that in mind, Its really about the freedom to use your device to run whatever you want without some gatekeeper deciding to arbitrarily restrict you.

I agree.

The best would be to have two QNX OS zones (it's not difficult, you have only two options):

1) The "E" zone (Enterprise zone: crypt Your App as you want, Developer);

2) The "C" zone (Consumer zone: give me the "C:\" power to USB Host to save my data on my disk, and not on the Cloud where, someday, somebody could sell or erase them as they want). Sideloading should be allowed here, to test all the Android Apps I want.
    04-11-12 06:12 AM
    RIM will not block side loading persay. However with the release of 2.1 the developer will have the option to disallow their application from running on your PB even if side loaded unless you purchased it. Therefore they will be blocking side loading in the general sense as we know it today.
    04-11-12 06:22 AM
83 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD