Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask and you shall recieve...
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question SHOULD I use same BB ID for BB and PB?

Okay guys, I'm using a Torch 9800, been using it for a year now. I just got a playbook and my dad's getting to me on Thursday, it has not been set up and I'll be doing the initial setup once I get it.
    Now, I've read a lot of posts here that say the same BB ID for two devices create issues and every time a purchase is made from a devicce, it is counted as a device switch and we're only allowed 15 a year. So comes the inevitable question, should I use the same ID I use with my Torch or make a new ID?
    I haven't purchased any apps with my Torch, but I will buy apps on the PB, and I don't want to be locked outof BBWorld on either devie.
    Any help/advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    If you think my post has helped you in any manner, kindly click the "Thank" button!

BlackBerry Playbook 64GB + BlackBerry Torch 9800 + Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

I'm using same ID on both the PlayBook and Z10 (previously on a Torch 9810). It doesn't count as device switch, so you don't need to worry there. Some developers allow you to purchase with one BBID and use on other device that has same BBID too, but not all of them do that so you may have to buy for both PlayBook and Z10 when you get one if you want the app on both even if you use same BBID on both. Using different BBID you definitely have to pay if you want an app on both.

Only issue could be in BBM and any other video chat apps from PlayBook to Phone that rely on BBID, as BBM isn't out for the PlayBook yet we don't know how that is going to work. At the moment Z10's can talk to playbook using video chat using PIN numbers as contact method.
    CrackBerry Genius

Yes it's fine. I am using a Torch 9800 and a PB on 1 BB ID and it works fine. The system sees the one ID but recognizes there are different devices for it.
    CrackBerry Addict

On my girlfriends PB and Bold there are no Problems. One BB ID on both devices.
    8700v-8310-8800-9000-9800-9900-Z10 In white Z30 in Black
    BB10 what else ?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomdooley View Post
    Now, I've read a lot of posts here that say the same BB ID for two devices create issues and every time a purchase is made from a devicce, it is counted as a device switch and we're only allowed 15 a year.
    Dang! I never knew this - and have just read about it in the Blackberry support forums. I have two Playbooks on the same ID, and I must already be coming close to that 15 limit in the first two months of owning them.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,056 Global Posts

No if you wanting to video chat from Z10 to the Playbook do not use same BBID, but you can video chat from Playbook to Z10 on same BBID, i hope Blackberry fixes this issue as i am on same BBID and want to video chat from Z10 to Playbook, not other way around as i let my kid use playbook at times outside.

Yes if your not wanting to video chat from Z10 to Playbook.

Having Same BBID allows you to install apps that your previously purchased as long as they are in BB10 format and in hopes the ones that are not will be.

Anyways i use a program called Faceflow on Z10 in which i can video chat from Z10 to playbook, only thing is you have to use faceflow on playbook from the browser from the faceflow website, which works flawlessly by the way and its all FREE. They have yet to develop an install app for playbook.

Just makes sure you signup different accounts for faceflow one for playbook and other for z10.

Which brings me to my question i asked before, does anyone have a .bar file for FaceFlow that works on playbook?
    New Phone: Iphone 4s, Old Phones: Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sold), Iphone 4 (Used By Family)
    LTE Playbook 32gb (Dec 2012), OS version is 1753.
    On Rogers Service

"When in doubt, buy a laptop"
    CrackBerry User

This user's question didn't have anything to do with Z10, Faceflow, or .bar files.

tomdooley, yes you can use the same Bb id on your Torch and your Playbook. Its exactly what I have, and there are no issues with number of apps.
    CrackBerry User

It works I am using a 9790 with playbook.
    Thanked by:
    blue quill (03-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

It works for me.
    Z10 and playbook.
    No issues
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Whippet View Post
    Dang! I never knew this - and have just read about it in the Blackberry support forums. I have two Playbooks on the same ID, and I must already be coming close to that 15 limit in the first two months of owning them.
    It is not BBID associated with switching between a few devices. The limit is for discrete devices. I have a BBID associated with 4 devices and in BlackBerry App World I have switched the associated device dozens of times between these devices.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kill_9 View Post
    It is not BBID associated with switching between a few devices. The limit is for discrete devices. I have a BBID associated with 4 devices and in BlackBerry App World I have switched the associated device dozens of times between these devices.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    Let me check my understanding (n00b alert) ...

So that means I'd be limited by, say 15 Blackberry bits of kit sharing one ID (you know, a greedy 8 Playbooks and several other BB phones etc)and not just my two Playbooks which I continually switch between depending on where I am? If so, that's great news. I only have two Playbooks but they share the same ID and I switch between them for the App World a lot. I just want to be sure I'm okay to keep doing this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,897 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Whippet View Post
    Let me check my understanding (n00b alert) ...

So that means I'd be limited by, say 15 Blackberry bits of kit sharing one ID (you know, a greedy 8 Playbooks and several other BB phones etc)and not just my two Playbooks which I continually switch between depending on where I am? If so, that's great news. I only have two Playbooks but they share the same ID and I switch between them for the App World a lot. I just want to be sure I'm okay to keep doing this.
    You can have up to 5 PB's sharing a BBID to access AppWorld, and can switch between them unlimited times. That's what RIM's own knowledgebase says... but admittedly in unclear language.

AppWorld seems to keep a note of the "active PB", which is the one you used to get an App last. If you connect to AppWorld with a different PB (with the same BBID), a dialog box pops up to say (something like) "you are using a different PB PIN nnnnnnnn". Just hit "OK" and continue and now this new PB will become the "Active PB". I must have played this switcheroo game literally hundreds of times now.

So carry on as you are.
    Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)

Thanked by:
    Bad Whippet (03-04-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Great! Many thanks for confirming that. Much appreciated.