Hi,

I am looking for some advice. I bought the 64GB playbook from shopblackberry. However, I am hearing that a large percentage of the 64GB PBs have issues e.g. bulge, dead pixels recessed power button etc. Apparently, shopblackberry will not take an opened PB back. So what is my recourse if I have one of these problems?

Am I better off and buying it from Walmart or BB? Please advice. Thanks.

D
    01-20-12 08:07 PM
    Go ahead and open it and set it up... then see if you have any issues..
    The Tech Support starts when you set up the PB..

The PB has a one year warranty,and only a 90 day free Tech support.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    UK: 0-800-096-2805
    Twitter: @BlackberryHelp
    Email: [email protected]

Welcome to the forums!

Check out the Newbie Tips and Tricks for the Playbook, by clicking below my signature..
    It was compiled by the knowledgeable posters from this forum.

Enjoy!
    anindoc, direfan and thymaster like this.
    01-20-12 08:18 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I love the site and PB.

So if there is something wrong, since shopblackberry does not accept opened returns what happens to the device? Who will fix it or exchange it?

D
    Lead_Express likes this.
    01-20-12 08:25 PM
    Hi,

I am looking for some advice. I bought the 64GB playbook from shopblackberry. However, I am hearing that a large percentage of the 64GB PBs have issues e.g. bulge, dead pixels recessed power button etc. Apparently, shopblackberry will not take an opened PB back. So what is my recourse if I have one of these problems?

D
    I can't imagine SBB not taking back a defective PB. You need to unbox it to find out if it's ok. I don't know their return policy on opened, but not defective PBs. Maybe a restocking fee.
    direfan likes this.
    01-20-12 08:26 PM
    contacting the tech support numbers will open a ticket ... then they will decide if it is a defect and will have you exchange it or send it back for repairs.
    direfan, whyaskus70 and anindoc like this.
    01-20-12 08:27 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I love the site and PB.

So if there is something wrong, since shopblackberry does not accept opened returns what happens to the device? Who will fix it or exchange it?

D
    It doesnt matter where one buys the PB from, at the end of the day RIM manufacturers it and thus as long as it is under the manufacturers warranty, and something is amiss with the device they will either repair it or replace it.

So, go ahead and open it up, you have an year of warranty on manufacturing defects, and 90 days on free tech support. All these nice features have already been explained by Jafobabe very well
    direfan and jafobabe like this.
    01-20-12 08:54 PM
    Hi,

You sound like a hypochondriac. Avoid any and all technological devices and save yourself the mental stress. What do you mean by "I hear a large percentage of the BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB tablets have bulges and dead pixels and recessed buttons?" A large percentage? I dare say most of those whom think the negligible rise where the BlackBerry logo is positioned also believe the Earth is flat. With the rarest of exceptions the bulge, if you must call it such, is caused by the metallic BlackBerry logo, while in the cases of an actual bulge attributable to the battery or perhaps CPU not seated correctly. I have yet to hear about an exploding BlackBerry PlayBook.

If you are worried about potential defects, buy the tablet at a brick-and-mortar store where you can open it and check it out before handing over your money.

Psychiatric class dismissed.
    01-20-12 09:12 PM
    Go ahead and open it and set it up... then see if you have any issues..
    The Tech Support starts when you set up the PB..

The PB has a one year warranty,and only a 90 day free Tech support.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    UK: 0-800-096-2805
    Twitter: @BlackberryHelp
    Email: [email protected]

Welcome to the forums!

Check out the Newbie Tips and Tricks for the Playbook, by clicking below my signature..
    It was compiled by the knowledgeable posters from this forum.

Enjoy!
    So if the 90 days runs out then who do I talk to that decides wether or not my playbook needs sent out for repair or replacement?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    01-20-12 09:16 PM
    You sound like a hypochondriac. Avoid any and all technological devices and save yourself the mental stress. What do you mean by "I hear a large percentage of the BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB tablets have bulges and dead pixels and recessed buttons?" A large percentage? I dare say most of those whom think the negligible rise where the BlackBerry logo is positioned also believe the Earth is flat. With the rarest of exceptions the bulge, if you must call it such, is caused by the metallic BlackBerry logo, while in the cases of an actual bulge attributable to the battery or perhaps CPU not seated correctly. I have yet to hear about an exploding BlackBerry PlayBook.

If you are worried about potential defects, buy the tablet at a brick-and-mortar store where you can open it and check it out before handing over your money.

Psychiatric class dismissed.

Very helpful! You must be the class clown around here. I received very helpful responses from the adults around here. Not in the least interested in what you have to say.
    01-20-12 09:18 PM
    So if the 90 days runs out then who do I talk to that decides wether or not my playbook needs sent out for repair or replacement?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    That's where this 90 day Tech policy seems a bit, well, flaky.

You would still call RIM and as long as it was not just a user-error type tech glitch, they will offer assistance to diagnose the issue. So if pixels go out or a speaker stops functioning, you are covered by warranty and do not pay for the call.

I can imagine that the 90 day thingie might keep legitimate calls from calling.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-20-12 09:41 PM
    Very helpful! You must be the class clown around here. I received very helpful responses from the adults around here. Not in the least interested in what you have to say.
    Actually while the person may have been somewhat abrupt, I think they are giving it to you straight. You are essentially saying the equivalent of I bought a new car but I don't know whether I should drive it because someone had an accident somewhere else. If you are that paranoid about it then send it back. Don't assume though that buying from a brick and mortar shop will get you any better of a unit. If you don't like shopblackberry's return policy then you shouldn't have ordered from them in the first place. Sorry but your post really does sound (at best) silly. You bought a product and are stressing out about opening the package. You might get run over by a cattle stampede if you step outside but I would hazard a guess that you will still go outside.
    01-20-12 10:03 PM
    Apparently, shopblackberry will not take an opened PB back. So what is my recourse if I have one of these problems?
    Shop BlackBerry will not take a perfectly good opened PB back just because you changed your mind and decided you didn't want it. Your warranty is completely separate from this. Any defects in the PlayBook within the first year will get you a free replacement from RIM, regardless of where you bought it from. If you bought it with a credit card the warranty probably was automatically extended to 2 years, you'd have to check with your specific card's policies however.
    01-21-12 12:19 AM
    I'm sure they would take it back if there was a defect. Sorry for the arrogant bastards on here, they have nothing better to do. Keep the PB. You'll love it.
    direfan likes this.
    01-21-12 01:16 AM
    Hi,

D
    So, you bought a Playbook. Waiting for delivery.

Important to follow the instructions below staring with #1:

1. Wait to receive it

2. Take delivery

3. Un-pack & power up

4. Ask any question directly too Playbook

5. Report back here with answers to your questions
    01-21-12 02:22 AM
    You will love the playbook bulge. You can set it on the table and spin it like a top.
    speedypear likes this.
    01-21-12 02:46 AM
    Relax, direfan. There's also a large probability that you'll get a fully functional, problem-free 64gb Playbook. For all you know, there may be no cause for worry.
    At any rate, since you already bought it, it's done. In case you have to return it because of a factory defect, I'm certain that if you contact BB support, they can help you with the replacement. After all, you bought it at ShopBlackBerry.
    To quickly dismiss any worries with your Playbook, here's what I would suggest:
    1. Document exact date and time of delivery (in case you need it for returns)
    2. Check your PB for your feared physical defects, and test it thoroughly.
    3. In case you find something odd about your PB, or are unsure about something, post your question here at CB. Someone's bound to see your post and will respond immediately.
    4. In case there's really a problem with your PB, contact BB Support immediately, citing when how long the PB has been with you (call date/time - delivery date/time). The longer the unit has been with you, the lesser your chances of proving that the problem was a factory defect.
    5. Trust that RIM will do what needs to be done. After all, RIM isn't one of those cheapo-gadget-manufacturers who will are here today, gone tomorrow. They have a global brand name to protect, and they value their customers. I'm sure they'll take care of your concern, in case there will be one.

Lastly, after careful examination and testing, if you feel that everything seems to be working fine...please please please...Enjoy your Playbook!! It's an excellent piece of technology, meant to be enjoyed for it's capabilities (current and future).

Hope you get your 64gb Playbook soon, in excellent condition!!!
    01-21-12 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD