Good morning all.

I hope you are well.

A couple of years ago, i bought a 32GB playbook after the 1st price drop.. I still had a blackberry phone back then, and thought that the bridge idea was the best thing ever.

I ended up with massive problems with the first two i got (which i took back) and the bridge and then the famous spinning problem, where the playbook was put on a table and spun around and didnt lay flat.. which i was told may end up with a massive buldge at the back. After taking back 7 (!) that spun, i got my money back.

I loved reading books on it on the train and watching films.. i would sit at home and browse on my wifi but upset by the lack of apps that were on offer.

Fast forward to now, and the 64GB playbook is so so cheap.. I am, again, considering buying the 64GB one despite all the problems with spinning i had with previous ones. Now, I am not that fussed about apps.. i have moved on to an IPhone, so am able to download all the apps that i need on that, and am basically looking for a system where I can put my films and watch them without straining my eyes, use wifi without having to use the tiny iphone screen and read books.. i would, on the other hand, need a facebook app and a twitter app..

So here are my questions.. and i trust you guys as you helped me a lot when I was trying to fix the others.. i know if i ask my friends they will roll their eyes and say i should just get an ipad.

1. is the "spinning" issue still a massive thing? I have a feeling that this was me probably overreacting.
    2. I never used 2.0 so never got to see kindle etc.. has the sideloading of android apps made it better?
    3. Can I use skype yet via sideloading? I mean, to be fair, i have an iphone and can use skype on that but i thought it would be good if this now is a possiblity.

I was also thinking of getting the 16GB nexus but would I be better off getting this instead?

An ipad is not an option. Neither is an ipad mini.. too similar to the phone and i dont think i need it.

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Morpheus likes this.
    11-08-12 02:45 AM
    1) I've got a 16GB and the 64GB versions and haven't noticed any bulging at the back, if you put them in a case you probably wouldn't notice at all, even if it did occur
    2) OS2.1 is a good upgrade from 2.0 and a fantastic upgrade from 1.0. The sideloading is very useful (I convert my ebooks to mobi and load them into kindle, works very well)
    3) Skype still not working fully, the sideloaded version sort of works, for IM and voice, but no video. When Skype is purely web-based that may change

The Nexus is a great piece of kit, but if I was going to use a tablet for watching films, then the extra capacity of the playbook 64GB is a big plus. Not only that, but the quality screen, good speakers and HDMI out port all in one package (a very cheap package at that) make it an attractive deal. Add to that the promise of BB10 OS some time next year......
    11-08-12 04:33 AM
    I picked up a 64gb model for �129.

1. Isn't an issue, its a preference on your part to perfection. I can say my 64gb model sits flat on a table, but as I tend to hold it in my hands and not view it flat on a table even if it did have a bump it wouldn't be an issue for me.

2. I've sideloaded some Android apps, if you don't mind the phaff of loading up software on your PC, going into developer mode on the Playbook and setting a password then you'll be fine. Android app works, albeit not the latest Android Kindle app.

3. Skype loads, but I've not tested it further than finding out the webcam doesn't work (Sadly). I would assume there will be a skype app under BB10, which Playbook should get.

Nexus is style over substance in my view, only 1 front camera with low Mpix. Good processor, and bang up to date Android OS (but for how long, I bet the next major Android version won't be compatible, just look at the previous evidence from Android, its so fragmented as an OS).

The Playbook has great cameras, and I know the vast majority won't use them, but I've found its great for my 1 year old to play on, especially sitting the Playbook facing him with the front camera recording. He treats it like a little mirror and makes faces or plays in front of it, and best of all you've then captured that moment for future viewing.

If your a really fussy person I'd say Nexus, if you want to be brave and will use a lot of storage space then the Playbook is a good choice.
    11-08-12 04:35 AM
    It wasn't a couple of years ago. The Playbook was released less than 2 years ago, April 2011. The first big price drop was about a year ago. That's when I bought mine.

I think the Playbook is ideal for what you describe. I also have an iPod Touch for music but have found I use it for much more than that. I still like having the Playbook for, video and Internet.

1. I have never had a spinning problem. It just lays there and looks at me. I haven't read reports of swelling batteries in a long time.
    2. OS 2.1 is a big improvement over the initial release. The Android apps seem to work fine for me. With the release of 2.14 each Android app runs independantly so there are fewer problems.
    3. No Skype yet. The next big thing is BB10 which may or may not bring Skype.

With having the iPhone I wouldn't bother with the Nexus over the Playbook. Not much gain for the money.
    11-08-12 04:37 AM
    I'm at the same point as the OP. Are current PBs ready for BB10 next year (sometime), or are we going to have to buy new hardware?
    11-08-12 11:05 AM
    Nexus is style over substance in my view, only 1 front camera with low Mpix. Good processor, and bang up to date Android OS (but for how long, I bet the next major Android version won't be compatible, just look at the previous evidence from Android, its so fragmented as an OS).
    Its a Nexus device so i bet it will see atleast 2 of the next big android Versions with official support by google. The google nexus line always gets the best update support. Tho i have to admit it can look totally different for not nexus branded devices.
    The Nexus 7 is a great tablet, but imo definatly lacks microSD and HDMI support. I could live without the rear camera because of USB OTG tho.
    11-08-12 12:08 PM
    I'm at the same point as the OP. Are current PBs ready for BB10 next year (sometime), or are we going to have to buy new hardware?
    The puppet masters at Research In Motion say the current BlackBerry PlayBooks will be able to run BlackBerry OS 10. Truthfully, we have to wait until it is officially released before knowing whether it will work adequately or requires faster microprocessor and/or random access memory.
    11-08-12 12:13 PM
    It's not a swelling battery but the plastic on the back just bulges a little. Didn't have it with my 16GB but have it now on my 64gb and it's been like that for almost a year, works like a charm. Don't notice however cos it's in a very lovely vajacase. 2.1 is all good, you already know about skype
    Angus_CB likes this.
    11-08-12 03:24 PM
    For what you want to do, yes, you should get one while it's cheap. However, be warned that both Facebook and Twitter on PB are horrible.
    11-08-12 03:49 PM
    Thanks to the OP for this.

Whats the deal with 2013. I remember reading the possibility of a new PB coming out? Any reports when? If that is true, I may wait.
    jpash549 likes this.
    11-08-12 05:12 PM
    For what you want to do, yes, you should get one while it's cheap. However, be warned that both Facebook and Twitter on PB are horrible.
    seiously??? fb is great, better than on BB and twitter just doesnt have a dedicated app yet, bb10 will have new versions for both
    11-08-12 05:26 PM
    In a few months it will become a 2 year old tablet that is still very lacking in my opinion. If you can get the 64GB for $99 and willing to put up with the crappy browser, by all means. $99 should have been the original price point. And to think even at that price people are questioning whether they should buy it or not. Great job RIM.
    11-08-12 05:46 PM
    In a few months it will become a 2 year old tablet that is still very lacking in my opinion. If you can get the 64GB for $99 and willing to put up with the crappy browser, by all means. $99 should have been the original price point. And to think even at that price people are questioning whether they should buy it or not. Great job RIM.
    Lacking apps, true. Crappy browser? Far from it. It's one of the few tablet computers with a full fledged browser. If you think Flash is dead, you actually believe in Apple's marketing and 7" DOA ridiculous premonitions.

What do you do with your tablet?
    11-08-12 05:54 PM
    11-08-12 05:54 PM
    My fiance and I both have Playbooks. I have a 64gb and she has a 32gb. Both have tons of room for movies, games, ebooks, etc. If you're thinking about a 16gb model, that can be sufficient I'm sure, but you'll definitely have to keep an eye on your space if you put a lot of HD movies on the tablet.

My fiance nor I have ever had an issue with spinning. Someone else stated it too, but we never have the tablet flat on a table. It's always propped up or being held. We also have cases (otterbox) which completely covers it.

As far as apps like skype go, I wouldn't hold my breath. It's possible and maybe even likely that it'll have the functionality when BB10 is released, but that's months from now. I believe everything else about it speaks much louder than having some video chat. In fact, the web browser, to me, is worth getting the tablet for. The online Kindle site removes the need for the side loaded app (although, with bridge, that may be a problem on the road for you unless you get the 4g model. But, it's the same with other sites as well. I don't use the youtube app because the website is much more functional. I don't mind the lack of banking apps since the websites work perfect. I don't need recipe apps since I can just nab a bunch of bookmarks I get from bing. I'd have to say that at least a third of my icons consist of bookmarks to websites. Another third are tools (calculator apps, clocks, note taking, gps, etc) which can't be done properly right now without making an app. The other third are games. I have too many to actually play nor do I play most of them. :P Am I a horder? In any case, if you're on the go, I would recommend getting one of their 4g tablets since you have an iPhone unless you don't mind not having internet on the go. Without bridge on the standard one, you'd be looking at a huge loss in functionality away from wifi zones.

Finally, look up goodreaders for at least a starting place for sideloading apps. It's great for just about anything you might want (if they work) in sideloading.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    11-08-12 09:00 PM
    NO! Don't get it now. Wait for BB10 PlayBook...as of right now the only use i have for is Flash.
    11-08-12 09:32 PM
    It's also good for surfing the forums.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    11-08-12 11:08 PM
    Considering how much I want from it, I think 129 is a massively good price so I went ahead and got it
    Morpheus likes this.
    11-09-12 03:27 AM