In Germany MediaMarkt is selling the Playbook for just 199 � and I'm wondering if i should get one. Since my Phone is an iPhone 3GS and I'm not planning to get an BB my question is: Is the BB Playbook a good stand alone Tablet.
    Is anybody else using an iPhone 3GS and a Playbook. Is it possible to tether over Bluetooth?
    03-24-12 06:22 AM
    Dont waste your time and go get a playbook, its simply amazing.
    03-24-12 06:26 AM
    I've read there was a problem with the 3gs being able to tether. Not sure if anyone ever figured it out or you need to jailbreak.
    03-24-12 06:36 AM
    Depends, if I were you the first thing I would do is reconsider getting a BlackBerry.
    03-24-12 06:52 AM
    I have a Blackberry Playbook & a Iphone 3g with AT&T service. They told me I could tether the two together.After buying a data package I have talked to them & now I find out that you cannot tether the two. No bluetooth or wifi. So as far as I know you cannot tether the two. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    03-24-12 07:03 AM
    Bluetooth between the iPhone and PlayBook doesn't work at all. You'd need an iPhone 4 or 4S to tether over the iPhone's wifi hotspot.

None of this matters. If you can find the PB at a good price, buy it. Most reasonable people find it to be very good and excellent value.
    Last edited by JeffyPooh; 03-24-12 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Typo
    03-24-12 07:46 AM
    Buy the PlayBook if you are willing to learn how to use it which isn't difficult at all. If you expect it to be an extension of your iphone you will be disappointed. A blackberry will make an excellent tablet better but you may want to wait for BB 10 devices before you make the switch.
    03-24-12 07:57 AM
    The 3 GS does have the personal hotspot feature with iOS 5.0, but you will have to sign up for an additional data plan to tether the 2 devices, unless your carriers in Germany do not charge extra for tethering as they do here in the New World.
    blue-b likes this.
    03-24-12 08:18 AM
    The playbook is great alone now with os2 as long as you have wifi where you live and work, etc. I've never used mine with a phone and I absolutely love it
    03-24-12 08:18 AM
    I've had an iphone 3GS for a couple of years & got my Playbook about a month ago. I'd been happy with the iphone and used it extensively for email, twitter, Facebook, calendar, reading, etc. I started looking for an ereader because of the too small phone screen. This lead me to amazon Kindle and Kobo android tabs as well as the playbook because of their extra functionality (web surfing, apps, etc.). I concluded that the playbook was a far superior device for the price. I have no need to tether my devices since wifi is pretty easy to find in Toronto & I just revert to my phone when there's no wifi. I am very happy with the playbook, hardly use my laptop at all anymore. I'm a longtime gmail user and once I got my multiple calendars working, the coordination between desktop, playbook and iphone clients has been seamless for me. Playbook support for my itunes library is better than I expected and I've been able to find the apps I need, either at appworld or by sideloading android apps. I prefer the 7 " screen as well. I'd highly recommend the playbook.
    Last edited by foghorn_leghorn; 03-24-12 at 08:56 AM.
    03-24-12 08:46 AM
    The 3 GS does have the personal hotspot feature with iOS 5.0, but you will have to sign up for an additional data plan to tether the 2 devices, unless your carriers in Germany do not charge extra for tethering as they do here in the New World.
    My iPhone 3GS has the latest iOS and does not offer the Personal Hotspot feature. I've heard some speak of jailbreak apps that might provide it, but I've not seen anything from Apple. Maybe I missed it...

My iPhone 4S does have it of course.

Canada is in the new world. Most (many?) carriers here allow tethering as part of one's normal data usage.
    03-24-12 10:32 AM
    I'm using it now since Monday and really love it. I also got the Journal Case (I recommend that case to everybody!). The connectivity problem was solved by Apple, since they will exchange my 3GS with an iPhone 4
    03-31-12 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD