Newbie here.
    Just got myself a 64 GB PB for the princely sum of 129UKP and am loving it
    For internet access I connect via the wifi hotspot running on my HTC One S for which I have an unlimited data contract.
    I've sysnced my email accounts, calendar and contacts, facebook etc. Youtube, flash video and live TV work great (love the screen). Installed Kindle so I can read my books - all in all I'm very impressed so far.
    My question is - would I gain anything (other than the remote control facility) by getting a BB phone ? - I have no idea what BB services is all about.
    09-05-12 04:09 AM
    I think you would gain more by buying the PB while having a BB phone than the other around, like its this case.

One thing tough: The BB phones use much less data than the others, so bridging spend less of your data plan, than wifi hotspoting with a diferent phone.

(Edit: No prob for you then )

But, i'm a guy that rarelly uses bridge, so.

If that Htc gets ruined, then buy a bb10 phone when they come out

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-05-12 04:19 AM
    My take on this is that you should continue using the One S, since you have an unlimited data plan anyway. There's really no reason to get a BB phone nowadays, unless you really would like a good communication via BBM and Email and Text and Calls and/or a good keyboard phone .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    09-05-12 05:01 AM
    If you have a BB phone you can bridge your sd card.

You can watch photos, listen to music, view pdf files... which are stored in the micro sd of your phone.

I havn't been able to watch videos from sd (I think it is not possible to do it, probably bluetoth is not fast enough for videos).

I use this feature with a BB 9380, but it is probably possible to do it with other BB phones.

I like "Files & Folders" to bridge files, but there are other free programs to do it.
    09-05-12 05:05 AM
    If you have a BB phone you can bridge your sd card.

You can watch photos, listen to music, view pdf files... which are stored in the micro sd of your phone.
    Now that could be handy - thanks for the info.
    09-05-12 05:42 AM
    There's really no reason to get a BB phone nowadays, unless you really would like a good communication via BBM and Email and Text and Calls and/or a good keyboard
    The parts that Blackberry are renown for right ? LOL

OP, the Bridge function is pretty good. It seems you don't need it a BB phone for 3G whilst not local to Wifi. As another poster said, the files / media stored on the BB phone will show up on your Playbook as long as you're withing bluetooth range & your bridge is on.

You will also be able to BBM on the PB when bridged to a BB phone & I hear, soon, will be able to SMS.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 09-05-12 at 07:09 AM.
    09-05-12 07:05 AM
    I'm still of the opinion that Bridge functions are still overrated and I wouldn't exactly get a BB phone just to do bridge. It really depends on your personal desire to get a Blackberry, first and foremost, at least that's what I think.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    09-05-12 11:07 AM
    For me, the combination of having a PlayBook and a BB phone created reasons for me to have them. Bridging the two allows me to do everything I need with my phone: take pictures, update my task list, contact list (phone numbers and emails), calendar, receive emails, etc. And then I can access it all through my PlayBook, allowing me to view my pictures on a bigger screen, and bring my PlayBook to meetings and have all the info I need on one device. And all the changes and additions I make on my PlayBook, while bridged, are updated on my phone.

One of the things I appreciate most about the bridging ability, is that I don't have to worry about leaving my PlayBook around, or letting other people try it out. All of the info that I have on my phone, which is accessible through my PlayBook when bridged, becomes innacessible again once the bridge is disconnected.

These features and abilities may not be revolutionary, but boy does it feel cool. Makes me feel like I'm from the sexy future.
    09-05-12 11:21 AM
    When I first got my pb I had a blackberry for about 4 months before swapping it to an iphone 4s. The contract I got had tethering included so I didn't see a lot of difference in usage on my pb. 99% of the time I used the browser to view email etc anyway so bridge was pretty redundant to me (other than a week or so of novelty)

I've now gone back to having a blackberry and I must say it's much the same. I still use the playbook a lot (using it now in fact) but I rarely have the bridge active, I couldn't honestly say it's a big selling point for me. The only real time I use it now is as a remote when I'm watching a film over hdmi

It's one of those where it will depend on the person, I prefer picking up the phone and answering emails and bbms there, dare say it would be the same with sms if they introduced that, but others will prefer the big screen and on screen keyboard, just have to decide which camp you fall into
    09-05-12 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD