Should I buy a PlayBook?
Or wait to see about the next version of the the PlayBook brings once released?
I'd be looking at buying one right now as the price may jump up once BB10 comes to the PlayBook. I used to own one but I found it was redundant to my needs, so I sold it, but BB10 should improve it and I can use it to read books on, etc.
- CrackBerry Abuser
01-13-2013, 04:15 AM #4
- 279 Posts
The playbook is a great device. At this price, you will do nothing wrong.
- 01-13-2013, 05:57 AM #6
Do your research, and if it meets your needs then buy one. What has changed since you sold the one you had?
I think prices will slowly increase. In the UK Curry's/PCWorld were selling the 64GB PB for £129 several months leading up to xmas. Now it is priced at £149! If the PB doesn't fit your needs then look elsewhere.BlackBerry Z10 STL 100-2 OS 10.2.1.1259 . PlayBook 64GB. Nexus 7 v2 Kit Kat
- CrackBerry Newbie
01-13-2013, 07:36 AM #8
- 2 Posts
I got a PlayBook for Christmas and I have to say it is the best thing ever. It is so easy to use and they are quite cheap aswell compared to tablets like the ipad. But it does matter what you would use it for but I would say it is a good allrounder. Look on which.co.uk and see what they say!! Hope it helped!!
- CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses
01-13-2013, 07:39 AM #9
- 18,605 Posts
If money is not the object wait for the next version. I doubt the current wi-fi version prices will change much regardless of the launch of BB10. I think Curry/PC World were adjusting the price base on the cost tolerance of consumers. If they can sell the device for slightly higher price to increase their margin, they would. No different from any other products. It's a two year old tablet. It will be a strange phenomenon to see RIM start up the production of wi-fi tablet again because of BB10. As for a new version, that's a possibility. But you are not going to get the current Playbook pricing for sure.
- CrackBerry Newbie
01-13-2013, 10:58 AM #11
- 1 Posts
The PlayBook is a great little device but I would only recommend buying one if you only want to use the supplied software. The main problem is the Appstore. There are fewer apps available compared to android or apple appstore. While there are some good apps available many seem very amateurish.
While it is possible to install Android application the procedure is longwinded and requires conversion of the installation files. Most users will not have the knowledge or software to do this and will need to find converted files online. These converted files tend to be basic free versions and not the fully featured paid versions. You may be unable to find the app you need.
If the PlayBook could run Android apps natively then I would highly recommend one.
(Typed on my PlayBook.)
Last edited by alanrt; 01-13-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Grammar
- 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM #13
- 01-14-2013, 04:27 AM #19
It totally depends on your needs. I just bought one a few days ago, and I'm really happy with it. It does everything I need it for really well.
If you want a reasonable web browser, email, reading books, listening to music, watching TV/movies then I'd say buy one. If you live in the UK, then you just missed out on it being extra cheap, but it is still very good value.
However, if you want access to loads of games or the latest and greatest selection of apps then maybe an Android or Apple device would be a better choice. I can really only repeat although the very good price at the time was a major factor in influencing my decision to get one, that I am very happy with mine, but as other people have said, only you can really decide if it will suit your needs.
As far as waiting for the new model of Playbook, seeing as BB10 is promised for the current one, the only thing that a new one model would offer is going to be improvements to the hardware (screen resolution? processor power? etc.) again, only you can really assess whether these improvements would offer you any real benefits.
(if I were you, I'd probably treat myself, oh yes, but I already have!! )
- 01-14-2013, 04:33 AM #20
- 01-14-2013, 11:26 PM #23
if you are considering buying it but want to hold off for BB10... BUY IT!
stores might try to take advantage of BB10 and RAISE prices.
- By jaboory in forum BlackBerry PlayBookReplies: 24Last Post: 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM
- By JayR2010 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 44Last Post: 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
- By JayR2010 in forum BlackBerry PlayBookReplies: 44Last Post: 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
- By natym9 in forum BlackBerry PlayBookReplies: 7Last Post: 06-19-2011, 06:29 PM
- By IceDigger in forum BlackBerry PlayBookReplies: 27Last Post: 04-23-2011, 01:59 PM