I bought a playbook last week for $45 that I knew had issues but I was hoping it would be software related. Turns out its a hardware problem so this one is dead. I have an appointment to see a gent tomorrow with a 64 gig unit that is supposed to be almost unused with a case for $125 but with a galaxy tab selling for $160, I am starting to have doubts. I wanted to explore the unique features of the playbook & I think it still has something to offer but never having used a tablet before I am wondering if I am just pissing money away.What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 10:15 AM
    To better help you decide, it would be best if you tell us what you plan on doing with the tablet. Is it for apps? Games? Media? Browsing?
    08-30-14 10:28 AM
    $125 for a 64GB PlayBook is a deal, but we are talking about a tablet that came out three years back and is pretty much an orphan. While there are still those that are hardcore PlayBook users, more and more of us have moved on because once it was announced that a version of BB10 would not be coming to the PlayBook, that was it. Since retiring my PlayBook late last year, I've probably turned it on maybe 4-5 times and even then updates to the OS and to the apps were few and far between.
    08-30-14 10:55 AM
    Mostly browsing, movies, reading maybe some document work. I can't imagine gaming on it much but tetris can be addictive. I am somewhat unsure of what tablet capabilities in general are so its hard to say with certainty. My wife has an ipad & she doesn't seen to do much more than I intend to with the playbook. What do all these apps everybody raves about actually do?
    08-30-14 10:57 AM
    I bought a playbook last week for $45 that I knew had issues but I was hoping it would be software related. Turns out its a hardware problem so this one is dead. I have an appointment to see a gent tomorrow with a 64 gig unit that is supposed to be almost unused with a case for $125 but with a galaxy tab selling for $160, I am starting to have doubts. I wanted to explore the unique features of the playbook & I think it still has something to offer but never having used a tablet before I am wondering if I am just pissing money away.What do you think?

Posted via CB10

No do not buy this device... waste of money. Mine is a door stop because the browser is pathetic. OK at 50 - 75$.
    08-30-14 10:57 AM
    If you want apps then no, there a literally no good *up to date* apps left for the PlayBook.

If you don't mind a slow browser then yes.

Speakers are really good so that's a plus, also the Micro HDMI port means you can watch films on your TV from the PlayBook, also good.

If you want games obviously it doesnt have the candy crush, simpsons tapped out games etc.. but it does, surprisingly have a few good games like, The Amazing Spiderman, Modern Combat, Dead Space, The Dark Knight Rises

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 10:58 AM
    125 is way too much for a used PlayBook. Even if it's a 64GB.

pin:2B7CAF06
    08-30-14 11:05 AM
    Is the browser in the tab 3lite or tab4 that much better?
    08-30-14 11:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    I was in the same Boat about a month ago.Brand new P.B 64G.in the Box retails for 299.
    A used P.B. with all the accessories should retail for about 89.00 TO 100.00 depending on the condition.
    I tried other brand tablets such as Asus,Ipad,iRulu and I have to say,none of them came close in performance ,quality in other words I was not impressed.Sure Andriod and Apple applications are more popular and available.But nothing Beats a Flawless working Blackberry Playbook.
    08-30-14 11:57 AM
    Is the browser in the tab 3lite or tab4 that much better?
    Yes, there is a night and day difference - in fact, even the original Galaxy Tab's browser blows the Playbook out of the water in terms of speed. The Playbook's browser checkerboards like crazy - mines been a doorstop for 2 years now LOL
    08-30-14 12:22 PM
    Strangely, the other playbook seems to be working at the moment. This reply was written on it. Usually loading crackberry causes the browser to crash but not this time for some reason. I don't find the two browsers that slow. Is the Android browser lightning quick?
    08-30-14 12:22 PM
    What do you mean by checkerboard?
    08-30-14 12:24 PM
    On android I don't use the android browser I download Firefox or chrome.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-30-14 12:38 PM
    I am now on my wife's I pad & to be honest, other that the screen size I am not seeing much difference in performance. Both are plugged in and both render the site very well but the play book seems to have better resolution. Wonder if that is because it's a first gen I pad? Spell correct is better on the play book but that may be just cause I am used to it from my z10. lets see what she has on here for apps...
    08-30-14 01:10 PM
    Make sure you charge your $45 PB fully. Letting the battery run down can render it unusable. There are threads online on how to revive a PB with no battery life. I use my playbook daily, mostly reading and u-tube videos. I have the 16 gig and have never used up the memory (but again I don't download videos). I have download lots of apps in my time, I don't have an issue. As a BB supporter I don't say this lightly but for 160 as compared to 125 I would get the galaxy. It's newer, supported, and faster. If you can keep the PB going it will satisfy you curiosity. I use dolphin browser and I'm happy with it. For $45 you did well. Use it, to it's fullest and let us know what you think.

My 2 cents
    08-30-14 01:14 PM
    I do about the same as you are proposing and more. Unlike others, I do not find the PB to be hampered as others. In fact, I have set aside my daily user laptop and use the PB daily. I have found no limitations in the available apps for productivity and pleasure.

If the tablet is in excellent condition and complete, I think $125 is a fair price. The video and audio quality, even through the phone output is very good. I habitually use it to stream video through the hdmi to the tele and music through the phone output to my stereo system and I am picky when I think comes to the quality of my music.
    08-30-14 01:35 PM
    too expensive at $125. i will not pay more than $50
    08-30-14 01:37 PM
    Only the 16gig sells at $50 around here. For some reason nobody wants to let a 64gig go for less than $100. This one is supposedly in the box & comes with a leather case. He is willing to have me set it up before I buy & try it out. Are there any good tests of function other that the browser?

I did a drag race between the pad & PB on you tube. The pad was slightly faster till the PB crashed followed closely by the ipad! I can't use the PB I bought for $45 cause its too unpredictable. Sometimes it works for ten min & other times ten seconds.
    08-30-14 01:43 PM
    Trust me, the Playbook is a dog. You should wipe the OS and reinstall. You can get some what speeded up response if you turn off the flash for the browser.

Don't waste your 100 bucks.
    08-30-14 05:32 PM
    That would be the maximum price I would pay for a new 64 G playbook. My optimum price at today's market would be $90 or lower.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 05:33 PM
    Try to reinstall OS first. PB probably ok.
    http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 08-30-14 at 06:23 PM.
    08-30-14 05:49 PM
    I did that already. Should I try again? The problem was there when I picked it up and did not improve after the OS reinstall. I wish I could spend some time with a more modern tab to see exactly why the PB is such a "dog". In the short time I can get it to work, it's performance is equivalent to my wife's ipad.
    Then again, I think all touch phones work pretty much the same too so I guess I must not be all that well informed.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 08:12 PM
    I did that already. Should I try again? The problem was there when I picked it up and did not improve after the OS reinstall. I wish I could spend some time with a more modern tab to see exactly why the PB is such a "dog". In the short time I can get it to work, it's performance is equivalent to my wife's ipad.
    Then again, I think all touch phones work pretty much the same too so I guess I must not be all that well informed.

Posted via CB10
    Surface pro 3 I hear is pretty amazing. But expensive.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-30-14 10:53 PM
    Maybe you have a fast connection. My Nexus 7 and iPad load up pages much faster but if I was travelling some wifi connections were just too slow displaying a checkerboard. As some have suggested try Origami. The PB did not need bb10 but it sure needed a better browser. The actual tablet itself is very nice with a great looking display.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-31-14 01:24 AM
    What do you mean by checkerboard?
    Hi Desporter,
    Checkerboarding is the screen equivalent of the hourglass on Windows or the circling ball in Apple.
    Should I buy a playbook for 5 or am I nuts?-img_00000231.png
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-31-14 01:40 AM
39 12