I took a lesson from Linux on rolling upgrades and decided to apply it to my PB.

I backed everything up and did a security wipe and let her install 2.0 from scratch. I see and feel a complete difference in perfomance and battery drain. If you are having problems, I suggest doing a security wipe. Everything is faster now on mine.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-23-12 01:32 PM
    Does doing a backup save all data including game data?
    02-23-12 01:44 PM
    I have been doing the security wipe then debrick method since some of the early OS in April. It seems to give a cleaner install.

In the case of backups, I am not sure if the 1.08 will restore to 2.0. To be safe, backup on 1.08 before the upgrade, then do the upgrade without a security wipe, backup on 2.0 and then do the security wipe and debrick.

If you are able to do a full backup, yes all the data gets saved including game data.
    chealyjazz likes this.
    02-23-12 01:48 PM
    I have 3 playbooks.... Before the update I security wiped mine and went back to the old os 1.8.... When I updated to os2 the PB I wiped whirls right along... Have few issue side loading Android etc... On the Playbooks I did not wipe.... Found it to be much slower so I am wiping them and redoing each tonight....

So I think from what I have read and you are posting you are probably on to something...

Thanks for sharing you experience....
    02-23-12 01:50 PM
    Don't know about game data as I don't play games. But my wireless transfer from Linux is even faster. Files and Folders is fater on Dropbox. Everything is faster.
    02-23-12 01:53 PM
    Amazon video is faster too.
    02-23-12 01:56 PM
    Interesting. I may try doing a Security Wipe sometime....
    02-23-12 02:08 PM
    I might do one tonight. I've never done it before. I just do a full backup then what? Turn on PB, wipe it, restart, re-do the setup process, DL the newest updates then hook up to my PC and pick restore option?

I don't feel there's a problem, but what can it hurt to see if it can be improved.
    02-23-12 02:13 PM
    I came in thinking this thread was going to be kinky, I left disappointed. However, I'm glad the PB is working will for you.
    02-23-12 02:16 PM
    I took a lesson from Linux on rolling upgrades and decided to apply it to my PB.

I backed everything up and did a security wipe and let her install 2.0 from scratch. I see and feel a complete difference in perfomance and battery drain. If you are having problems, I suggest doing a security wipe. Everything is faster now on mine.
    Can you direct me to the proper thread with the proper procedure.I am going to do mine.
    02-23-12 02:16 PM
    I heard the demo video is gone after a security wipe. How do you get that back?
    02-23-12 02:24 PM
    It's just a file in the Video folder, so you can just copy it to your computer and then copy it back after.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess I'm wrong about that. I don't see it in the folder.
    Last edited by Zagabog; 02-23-12 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I'm wrong.
    02-23-12 02:39 PM
    You will use the demo video, some of the games and some apps with the security wipe. Do a debrick to get everything back.

Here would be the steps:

1- Backup PlayBook using Desktop Manager, selecting a FULL Backup. Unplug the usb cord from Playbook when the backup is done.

2- Go into settings, security, Security wipe and perform the wipe.

3- PlayBook will reboot, ask for Language, country, timezone, etc then ask for BlackBerry ID login. It will then use those choices to download a subset of applications based upon where you are.

4- Complete the setup after the security wipe until you get the PlayBook booted to the main screen. You will have to do the two demos to get there.

5- Power off the Playbook using the "Turn off" option from the battery icon.

6- Start Desktop Manager.

7- Plug the usb cable into the turned off PlayBook. The PlayBook will start booting when the cable is plugged in.

8- I am on a MAc so the prompts are different, but Desktop Manager will pop up a window saying that the PlayBook is either booting or needs to be repaired. Choose the repair option. It may ask again to confirm. It will then download the latest software from the Rim servers and upload it to your PlayBook. On a Mac, it seems to keep a copy on the computer, so if you still have the latest OS from a previous debrick, it will use the file stored on the Mac rather than download it again.

9- Wait until Desktop software says it is safe to unplug the PlayBook. It should then boot up into the initial setup screen.

10- Once you are setup again, plug in the usb cable and using Destop Manager, restore your backup.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-23-12 at 03:01 PM.
    02-23-12 02:54 PM
    I was going to post a thread saying almost the same thing...did a security wipe and battery drain seems to be much better. Maybe we're on to something...hmmm. I didn't have to plug my pb in to the computer though...it updated wirelessly. I'm happy for now...hopefully the battery drain is resolved.
    02-23-12 02:59 PM
    You will use the demo video, some of the games and some apps with the security wipe. Do a debrick to get everything back.

Here would be the steps:

1- Backup PlayBook using Desktop Manager. Unplug the usb cord from Playbook when the backup is done.

2- Go into settings, security, Security wipe and perform the wipe.

3- PlayBook will reboot, ask for Language, country, timezone, etc then ask for BlackBerry ID login. It will then use those choices to download a subset of applications based upon where you are.

4- Complete the setup after the security wipe until you get the PlayBook booted to the main screen. You will have to do the two demos to get there.

5- Power off the Playbook using the "Turn off" option from the battery icon.

6- Start Desktop Manager.

7- Plug the usb cable into the turned off PlayBook. The PlayBook will start booting when the cable is plugged in.

8- I am on a MAc so the prompts are different, but Desktop Manager will pop up a window saying that the PlayBook is either booting or needs to be repaired. Choose the repair option. It may ask again to confirm. It will then download the latest software from the Rim servers and upload it to your PlayBook. On a Mac, it seems to keep a copy on the computer, so if you still have the latest OS from a previous debrick, it will use the file stored on the Mac rather than download it again.

9- Wait until Desktop software says it is safe to unplug the PlayBook. It should then boot up into the initial setup screen.

10- Once you are setup again, plug in the usb cable and using Destop Manager, restore your backup.
    There are 2 options for backup ,which one the FULL?
    Nascar Dog likes this.
    02-23-12 03:00 PM
    There are 2 options for backup ,which one the FULL?
    Do the Full Backup. I will edit my post.
    Goldwing07 likes this.
    02-23-12 03:01 PM
    I was going to post a thread saying almost the same thing...did a security wipe and battery drain seems to be much better. Maybe we're on to something...hmmm. I didn't have to plug my pb in to the computer though...it updated wirelessly. I'm happy for now...hopefully the battery drain is resolved.
    My battery life also seems much better.... But I just did standard upgrade.... No security wipe.
    02-23-12 03:05 PM
    If anyone who has had noticeably worse battery life while in standby since upgrading to 2.0 improves their outcome with a security wipe, please let us know.
    02-23-12 03:16 PM
    Just getting ready to do the wipe etc.i will keep yu all posted. I am nervous as !
    Last edited by Goldwing07; 02-23-12 at 04:00 PM.
    02-23-12 03:50 PM
    Might be worth keeping an eye on this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-final-702344/

Where some people are looking at some battery usage fixes...
    02-23-12 04:16 PM
    Okay so, just so I understand, you all are finding that *after* upgrading to OS 2.0, your battery life was iffy and heat was an issue. So you did a security wipe (while on the official OS 2) and it fixed it pretty well? Did you also debrick-update after?

I'm having the battery/heating issues too.
    02-23-12 04:20 PM
    I was running anywhere from 4-5w during use according to battery guru. After a full wipe, I am now running around 2-3.5w during use and about. .6-.7w on standby. Finally!!!
    02-23-12 04:23 PM
    Okay so, just so I understand, you all are finding that *after* upgrading to OS 2.0, your battery life was iffy and heat was an issue. So you did a security wipe (while on the official OS 2) and it fixed it pretty well? Did you also debrick-update after?

I'm having the battery/heating issues too.
    I wasn't heating up, but battery life was aweful. I did nothing but security wipe...no derrick and battery life MUCH improved.
    02-23-12 04:25 PM
    I've had a peek at system files and it seems to "possibly" be a conflicting call in the Wifi between versions. Not sure. But doing a wipe fixed it. I've been using Linux for a long time and I can tell you that rolling distros is a bad idea no matter what the platform.
    Last edited by rs422a; 02-23-12 at 04:31 PM.
    02-23-12 04:29 PM
    I have already installed OS 2.0 and loaded the PB with all the things I want on it. So with that in mind should I do a full back up, do a security wipe, then reload OS 2.0 and then do a restore of my back up? Also how do I do a security wipe? Thanks in advance rs422a...
    02-23-12 04:33 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD