Well spent 4 hours on phone with "Technical Support" for the Playbook because the Playbook links to my Wi-Fi but does not get connected to Internet.

I use technical support loosely based on the interaction and knowledge of the 2 individuals involved. They kept trying to get my higher level support and it seems that they were told to make guesses as they were too busy. I am in the IT business and knew way more than than these people.

I am at the Blackberry ID screen where they ask you to chose your country.

LONG story shortened -they finally came back and said it is a KNOWN issue and they would be getting back to me with the next few days trying to figure a fix and then how to implement.

Having a Torch beside me and it going through same WI-Fi easily stymied their usual reboot this, reboot that.

SO I have a Playbook that cannot do the basic setup.... 3rd step in. I figure not worth it to take it to another Wi-Fi since if it don't work here - it goes back. I actually has two ISP's, 1 as backup.. and both would not work with Playbook.
    04-19-11 04:54 PM
    Find a WiFi network at a coffee shop or other that does not require log in or password and it works fine. Had the same issue. You will quickly get to 278 Mb SW download that takes about 30 min so have a good battery. After you do that you can log into anyWiFi net. It will also set up bridge for you.
    04-19-11 05:04 PM
    Same here, I walked down to a cafe, to get past wep enabled wifi. Good to go after that!
    04-19-11 05:12 PM
    Is your SSID hidden? If so, unhide it.

I found an issue with two identical routers (abviously something in conf is different) but with my router at work, I had to enable broadcasting SSID even though you check off "hidden SSID" and at home (same router), it worked fine hidden. I have Linksys E3000 routers at both locations.

It may not be your issue but it may help someone else. I think it's a bug.
    04-19-11 05:16 PM
    I actually can get into Wi-Fi... I have 2 separate routers and 2 ISP's . Its the handover to the Internet that is the issue.

Yes I had thought of going to Starbucks but as I said - this unit would be used 85% at my home and office. If they can't get that working then it is of no use to me. It has to go back.

It did not work through a DLINK router and a Rogers Rocket Hub. The Playbook connected to the Wi-Fi and all other computers in my home could ping the Playbook but the Playbook could not complete the handshake to get outside to the INTERNET as indicated by the Internet status and the BLANK gateway in the Playbook.

Basically they working on an issue where the Playbook does not play well with some routers and network setups. Since I would be taking this to different clients, its of concern beyond just getting it working at home.
    04-19-11 05:20 PM
    I was able to get past that problem by hooking up to my computer, and updating the OS via desktop manager. When it rebooted with the new OS, the setup went smoothly.
    04-19-11 05:22 PM
    Well -- I will give that a try. If its is just initial setup - ie beta software that is the issue, then updating it that way fixes a problem that would go away as new playbooks were released with later software to start.

Crosses fingers... and about to try.
    04-19-11 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD