If you want full access to your tablet, get a HP TouchPad. There's no concept of 'rooting' on it. You simply fire up an SDK tool, log in and you have a root prompt. HP doesn't stop people from hacking their device, in fact they encourage it. The tablet hasn't been out for a month yet and I've already seen people run Ubuntu Linux applications on it. Go figure
    Google also supports people rooting their software, it's the third-party manufacturers that add their own twist and don't want people messing around.

Google encourages rooting of phones | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

Android Developers Blog: It’s not “rooting”, it’s openness

Also, Ubuntu has been run on Android without much fuss. ( )
    07-21-11 10:41 AM
    good thing about android is you have control over the OS. you can root flash rom etc. even though it's not the best in the world, but at least there are alternatives..don't have to wait for the OS updates all the time.
    now if someone can root pb, we can install BBOS 6, maybe. just maybe
    Why do people think that being able to hack into the OS easily is a good thing? Look there is so much fragmentation in Android and what about security? If you are really into playing with the OS then Android is the way to go. But for millions of people, they want an OS to function, the UI to be easy, and want security. With BB they get most of this, now I am not fanboying here and thinking that all is perfect, far from it. I am considering a Playbook with the Staples $100.00 off coupon. But after reading some threads here I am reconsidering it. I have read more complaints about the HPalm TouchPad about it feeling cheaply made, laggy functioning, and real lack of apps. I probably will get the Playbook but I have gone from positive to uneasy.
    07-21-11 11:15 AM
    I have two Droid tablets... the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and an HTC Flyer. I also have an iPad 2 for work.

The iPad's apps are amazing. Plain and simple. But, the OS is frustrating unless you just like to press icons. It sure is simple, though.

If you want the same form factor and a PB, consider the HTC Flyer. It is a superb tablet. It doesn't run Honeycomb yet, but it's interface is amazing. It is fast, works well with very few issues, and it also supports the use of a pen.

The whole thing about Android Honeycomb apps is a little misleading... I use tons of apps on my Galaxy Tab that aren't officially for Honeycomb but you would never know the difference. Really.

Also, netflix does run on pretty much all android devices now... I've got it running on my two droid tablets and also my droid phone.
    07-21-11 11:32 AM
    Been thinking about getting the PB for awhile. Lurked for forums for a long time picking up on info on it. Didn't care about native email and not really an app hoarder. So I decided to get an asus transformer to get my feet wet in the tablet pool. I figured if I liked this tab, I would love PB.

So I played around with the asus for a few days.

Web browsing - pretty nice, though it tended to drop the browser A LOT.

Apps - tons of Apps. But you could tell quite a bit of them were phone ports. Played. Angry Birds (pretty simple but fun).

OS - nice but laggy at times.

So there I was, browsing the web and playing Angry Birds on a $400 machine. And that's all I was doing. Came to the conclusion that a tablet is just not for me. I took it back.

Tablets aren't for everyone....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 11:38 AM
    Why do people think that being able to hack into the OS easily is a good thing? Look there is so much fragmentation in Android and what about security? If you are really into playing with the OS then Android is the way to go. But for millions of people, they want an OS to function, the UI to be easy, and want security. With BB they get most of this, now I am not fanboying here and thinking that all is perfect, far from it. I am considering a Playbook with the Staples $100.00 off coupon. But after reading some threads here I am reconsidering it. I have read more complaints about the HPalm TouchPad about it feeling cheaply made, laggy functioning, and real lack of apps. I probably will get the Playbook but I have gone from positive to uneasy.
    See, most folks would NOT be buying the PB, based off of that, if current buying trends are to be believed.

In any case, the allure of Android is not based on the need to root, but the possibility of doing so. I know two or three NookColor owners who claim their rooted devices blow the PB's current functionality out of the water. With only the ability to follow directions, a cheap ereader can be turned into a tablet.

Having said that, I still think that even the "medium-end" Android devices are great devices out of the box. The low-end ones are horrendous.
    07-21-11 11:42 AM
    If you want full access to your tablet, get a HP TouchPad. There's no concept of 'rooting' on it. You simply fire up an SDK tool, log in and you have a root prompt. HP doesn't stop people from hacking their device, in fact they encourage it. The tablet hasn't been out for a month yet and I've already seen people run Ubuntu Linux applications on it. Go figure
    i picked up a touchpad and its still within the 14 day return period. i currently own a pb myself. i wanted the touchpad to perform so badly but it just isn't there yet. the browser still has serious issues and doesnt come close to the PB's implementation of flash. i dont need many apps but when the web browser cant even perform, heuughh thats just not good enough. if anyones curious just check out the precentral forums. they have a massive thread dedicated to browser performance issues.

will no doubt be returning it. i hear an update will be rolling out soon but find it hard to believe they will fix these problems.
    07-21-11 12:11 PM
    "Serious" and "Android tablet" - isn't that an oxymoron?
    07-21-11 01:01 PM
    I'd go iPad before I went Android Tablet.

I absolutely hate all the Android tablets that are out now...
    07-21-11 05:07 PM
    a common user won't even understand security. what security? if it get physically stolen, what is secure? functionality is more important to "security" unless you're really feared being hacked, a paranoid techie or jason bourne.
    android fragmentation is good. what good does it makes if it all the same? "fragmentation" makes people choose samsung touchwiz over motorola MOTOBLUR (what kind of name is that??).
    there is a reason of rim hinting on this android player. what is it? 30% market share of tablet. and increasing.
    07-21-11 06:50 PM
    a common user won't even understand security. what security? if it get physically stolen, what is secure? functionality is more important to "security" unless you're really feared being hacked, a paranoid techie or jason bourne.
    android fragmentation is good. what good does it makes if it all the same? "fragmentation" makes people choose samsung touchwiz over motorola MOTOBLUR (what kind of name is that??).
    there is a reason of rim hinting on this android player. what is it? 30% market share of tablet. and increasing.
    That made me evening... Ha!
    07-21-11 07:12 PM
    That made me evening... Ha!
    hehe i just woke up its 7:15am here in jakarta
    07-21-11 07:15 PM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD