New data released on Wednesday suggests Research in Motion's PlayBook tablet has managed a ten percent increase in Canadian marketshare on substantial discounts, and has pulled the share of Apple's iPad down to 68 percent.

Citing market research data from Toronto-based Solutions Research Group, The Globe and Mail reports that market share of the oft-maligned PlayBook has risen to 15 percent of the Canadian market, but comes at the cost of discounts which equate to hundreds of dollars per unit.

The data, taken from a survey of 1,000 Canadians, illustrates that while RIM's share is but a fraction of the iPad's, the sharp rise in sales saw Apple's market presence drop from 86 percent to 68 percent since fall 2011. This steep decline also means that Android tablets have also shown growth during the period.
    That's in impressive jump in market share! The price cut clearly has paid off for RIM. If they drop the price for the PB to $99.00 they can see even bigger gains!
    02-15-12 06:52 PM
    as I guess as well! I knew it would finally pay off! AND NOW 2 MORE DAYS till OS 2, actually no best buy in Canada has already moved the price up to 299.99 for the 16gb, still cheaper than before though
    02-15-12 07:08 PM
    Pretty small sample to really follow a major trend, though. The sad thing about statistics is that they can be bent to prove almost any point.

But, any good news is better than more of the same drivel that has been slammed down ad infinitum, of late. I am starting to see a little more good news as time progresses.

But then. I also remember those who said Sprint would be dead by the end of 2010. They really knew what they were blogging/posting about.

-It ain't over 'til it's over- Yogi Berra
    artie likes this.
    02-15-12 07:18 PM
    It looks like the naysayers won't have as much to rip on RIM about, not a bad statistic actually, and it can truly gain more traction once more people learn what a powerful tool it is.

It also seems RIM's strategy is starting to show it's first signs of success, with QNX in their arsenal, even the sky isn't the limit.

Hey... that's a great idea, we need to get a PB on the Space Station, much more compact than the other brands, somebody write an app for that...
    Last edited by Carbonetics; 02-15-12 at 07:31 PM.
    02-15-12 07:25 PM
    BergerKing

What's with the GIF next to your name, I looked at it for a couple of seconds, got a little woozy, looked back up , glanced at the clock and it it was 2 hours later!!!
    02-15-12 07:33 PM
    I read something today said that iPads share of the market has dropped from 86% to 68. Thats impressive.
    sagec likes this.
    02-15-12 07:38 PM
    here is some bad news....unfortunately I purchased shares of rimm a couple of days ago.......

Morgan Stanley�s Ehud Gelblum this morning reiterated an Equal Weight rating on shares of Research in Motion (RIMM) after slashing his estimates for the fiscal Q4 ending this month, writing that his sources indicate production of the BlackBerry fell dramatically last month, meaning the company may miss its shipment target for the quarter.

Checks from our colleagues in Asia indicate RIM�s supply chain orders slid 45% m/m in Jan and are expected to be flat in Feb, implying CQ1 units could be down 30% q/q as sell-through is weak. We have picked up mounting anecdotal evidence that RIM continues to lose momentum given its lack of major new phone launches until BB10 devices come out in �latter 2012,� while news flow indicates enterprises from Halliburton to U.S. agencies are adopting alternative devices.

Gelblum thinks that implies shipments of 9.6 million units, down from his prior forecast of 11.5 million units, and below the company forecast of 11 million to 12 million.

Gelblum cut this quarter�s estimate to $4.13 billion in revenue and 70 cents a share in net profit from a prior $4.72 billion and 87 cents. Consensus stands at $4.6 billion and 83 cents.
    02-15-12 09:40 PM
    That's in impressive jump in market share! The price cut clearly has paid off for RIM. If they drop the price for the PB to $99.00 they can see even bigger gains!
    Noway. Now the PB is complete with osv2 they should price it accordingly.
    02-15-12 09:48 PM
    I call BS.

here is some bad news....unfortunately I purchased shares of rimm a couple of days ago.......
    02-15-12 09:57 PM
    A market share gain in Canada based upon a sample size of 1,000 is a bad joke. That just proves what people say about the use of statistics. The assessment is meaningless. Leaving that aside though, saying something is paying off when you are selling it at a huge loss per unit is not exactly a healthy approach to business. People should also keep in mind why Best Buy has so many refurbished Playbooks, and offers no warranty beyond the initial return period. They are the units being returned by impulse buyers who grabbed the bargains and then decided it wasn't for them.
    02-15-12 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD