Hey guys, I would have posted this in the WebOs forums, but that forum is just completely dead now, so I will post here as it is also BB Tablet OS related.

I had originally started out by just wanting to get much more information on Webos. I hear about it from time to time, and generally people speak positively about it. I have done web searches, watched youtube videos and searched here on crackberry, but I cannot seem to find sufficient information, and obviously I cannot play around with it since I can't physically find it anywhere.

From what I've seen, BB Tablet OS and Webos is very similar. Ive been on a webos forum viewing an old thread and realized that in many ways they are like we are here on the crackberry forums. Always keeping their eyes out for trolls and not taking in anything negative about the touchpad. (They were hating heavily on the Playbook, by the way.) So I ask this from an absolutely self-informative point of view.. I like to know about all things and I figured getting many individual opinions from people who used webos would be awesome!

I guess what I would like to know is absolutely anything that would be relevant to supply me with all the information I can possibly get my hands on. Why is webos dead and Tablet os still alive? What differentiates the two from each other, given that both user bases seem to be pretty similar in how they feel about their respective product? Anything guys really..
    02-08-12 07:29 PM
    For PlayBook OS go to the Developer site. The PlayBook can handle apps in HTML5, AIR and Native QNX.
    02-08-12 07:49 PM
    Yes I know but thats not very relevant to what I was looking for.. Are you saying that webos had no support for some things?
    02-08-12 07:51 PM
    This is just my personal opinion, but the reason why the Playbook is still around and the TouchPad isn't is that HP is like a chicken while RIM is like a cow in a steak and eggs dinner - webOS was only a fairly small part of HP's business, while mobile computing IS RIM's business. If RIM fails in the mobile computing space, they are probably done as a company. That isn't/wasn't true with HP and webOS.

BTW, I have both a Playbook and a TouchPad and I like them both. The gesture interface works very well on a tablet.
    02-08-12 08:29 PM
    Thanks that's the kind of opinion I'm looking for. I don't mind getting a ton of angles!
    02-08-12 08:35 PM
    webOS is not technically dead...it's just being open sourced. It's just another OS like Android, iOS, BB10, etc.

while the webOS interface is similar to the PB's interface (some might say RIM blindly copied it), the two OS's are completely different. webOS is built on a linux kernel and the development platform is Enyo (HTML5, javascript, etc.). There's flash support in the browser, but it's nothing like BB10/QNX. The multi-tasking is also limited. While webOS isn't technically dead, even if it open sources, it will be difficult for hardware vendors to make use of it since there's nothing to build an ecosystem around.

Tablet OS/QNX/BB10 on the other hand is built on QNX's microkernel architecture which is very powerful. That's why the platform can support the Android runtimes, Flash, Air, HTML5, and native C++. None of the other mobile OS's can support that many different types of development platforms. QNX is different from webOS because it's a bet the company direction that RIM has taken. If QNX/BB10 fails, then RIM dies. RIM can't be like HP and let webOS die since RIM doesn't make printers or computers like HP. RIM will push for developer support as much as it can, and will fight to the bitter end...

Frankly, the only similarity between webOS and QNX is just the way apps are opened and how they sit next to each other in the app carosel. QNX' multi-tasking is way better than webOS and it's smoother and faster.

How do I know? I own a Touchpad and a PlayBook and really only uses my PlayBook
    02-08-12 08:37 PM
    Awesome.. Great info so far keep them coming! No such thing as not enough info on this thread.. Write a book, I'll read it. First hand knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated.
    02-08-12 09:05 PM
    Be sure to use that thing the kids call the inneret...
    02-08-12 09:08 PM
    I can say that what HP (under whomever the president was) is pretty much a slap in the face of the people who supported WebOS. I picked up a Palm Pixi Plus from newegg as it was inexpensive, and while it's extremely limited UI wise, I love the interface. Far more exciting than my BB Curve 9330, which I'm not upgrading due to fear of VZW screwing me out of my Unlimited Data Plan.

Of course, on a curve of that level, there's a lot to be said. I like the Curve after getting accustomed to it.

I know this isn't what you may have wanted, since you were focusing on tablets, but right now I see RIM has dropped the ball, and while I have two 64 GB playbooks, the reason I bought them was for the cost.

I do agree with the previous poster, whomever that was, who pointed out that if QNX/etc fails, RIM fails. That's kind of why I want to stick with RIM, something romantic in me.

Also, this forum is filled with very knowledgeable people, but from my limited time with the Pixi Plus (I use it for the wifi and as cheap 8GB player that syncs with Banshee, fwiw), I love the gestures.

The Playbook is lacking, but I have faith that android apps will improve whatever software (dropbox mostly and netflix, since my original droid, also a wifi device, can handle it).

I can go on, but I like all save Apple's end. They lal have merits. If RIM can get it together, maybe enough small miracles will save 'em. I hope so, because I like the underdog. (And I went tangential. Crap. Well, I think it's my first post. So I hope I get a pass this time).
    02-08-12 09:15 PM
    Be sure to use that thing the kids call the inneret...
    You're a little off-topic there, big guy. Thanks anyway.

Ambarmetta - Thank you for your contribution.. a great first post!
    Last edited by apengue1; 02-08-12 at 09:48 PM.
    02-08-12 09:46 PM
    Yes I know but thats not very relevant to what I was looking for.. Are you saying that webos had no support for some things?
    As someone else pointed out, the closest apple to compare is the HTML5 in WebOS and QNX, beyond that, not the same. But, generally, all object oriented programming languages are the same, you just have to know the syntax. If you have picked up WebOS, you should be able to pick up one of the 3 methods for creating apps for QNX.

From the developer page, I believe that they expect you to use HTML5 if you are creating something simple to moderate, AIR/Flex if you want a little more behind the scenes functionality and Native QNX (C/C++) if you have something that really requires the core functionality of the device.

I'm sure some people will argue about the robustness of HTML5 compared to AIR/Flex/AS3 and they can, just that AS3 has been out longer and has plenty of code for dropping in. Both AIR and HTML5 options can be geared towards multiple deployment types.

And as a kicker for QNX, it has been around for 30 years and is in cars and embedded devices. So, there is the possibility of more integration between the PlayBook and something like home automation, for example.
    02-09-12 07:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD