With the things it seems clear we will be losing, it seems to me that the next system update will actually downgrade my PlayBook. Awesome going RIM

I wont be updating.

I Love my PlayBook. I love its UI and portability. I think it smokes my wife's IPad in most areas. But I feel it has been so mishandled by RIM that it will never have a chance commercially. Sad, because with decent app support I believe it would be the number 2 tablet on the market easily.

I don't want another tablet. I just want mine to be all it can be.

Right now, Appworld is a joke. There are some cool things in there, but not nearly enough. I will not update if it means losing access to koz's store, because it is the best source of apps available. The sad thing about that (and I hope he doesn't take offense) is that android apps don't run well, and I wish I didn't need to use his store. I wish there were native apps that were available to take away that need. But I have little faith.
    aha, cdelcampo216, cletis and 3 others like this.
    04-08-12 04:48 PM
    What are they downgrading? Your post doesn't make much sense if you don't tell us what they are downgrading in the next update.

If your referring to removing sideloading, use one of the many threads created already about this.
    04-08-12 04:54 PM
    I think he means no more sideloading....
    04-08-12 05:03 PM
    I cant wait to be able to go to Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers and browse it without crashing. I will even be able to transfer my newly downloaded android ROM's from the PB to my HTC phone with ES file explorer. Bring on the fixes and anything else they need to allow the PB to evolve and stand a chance to be successful
    Chrisy, pikap704 and Toxic17 like this.
    04-08-12 05:16 PM
    Agreed, losing side-loads is not enough to start yelling "downgrade". Removing the ability to sideload apps will annoy many but will make the platform more secure, assure the developer community that RIM cares about their work and piracy issues.

Besides, between the walled garden approach by Apple and the open standard approach by Android, I would like to believe that RIM will go for the open, configurable tablet model.
    04-08-12 05:24 PM
    It is a tad early to write off the next upgrade.

Let's see what happens first. Sides, it's not like it's the end of the PB if it is true.
    Chrisy and bbfan1040 like this.
    04-08-12 05:26 PM
    I don't sideload apps so I guess it will be an upgrade for me. Win!
    Chrisy, grover5, raymond and 7 others like this.
    04-08-12 06:12 PM
    Agreed, losing side-loads is not enough to start yelling "downgrade". Removing the ability to sideload apps will annoy many but will make the platform more secure, assure the developer community that RIM cares about their work and piracy issues.

Besides, between the walled garden approach by Apple and the open standard approach by Android, I would like to believe that RIM will go for the open, configurable tablet model.
    Where do you see in the removal of sideloading "the open, configurable tablet model?"

They are going for the walled-garden from what it sounds like. It will be very difficult for developers, at least, smaller developers to beta test. There will be serious issues with open, public beta tests. If Rim does not like the app for whatever reason, it will never be available. We would have never had the initial browsers that allowed changing User Agents under Rim's scheme.

Rim just needs to encrypt the DM backups to thwart piracy (unless of course, they give that key to India, also).
    JeepBB and bounce007 like this.
    04-08-12 06:30 PM
    Since you can tell the future - just post the next lotto numbers for us please. Otherwise keep the negative speculation to yourself. At least wait until the changes before whining and complaining.

Thank you, and may the odds be in your favor
    04-08-12 06:42 PM
    I don't sideload, so I guess it will be an upgrade for me, and I welcome the improvements no matter how small or big it will be. My suggestion is if you want Android apps that bad, why not just buy an Android tablet ??......
    04-08-12 06:49 PM
    I don't sideload, so I guess it will be an upgrade for me, and I welcome the improvements no matter how small or big it will be. My suggestion is if you want Android apps that bad, why not just buy an Android tablet ??......
    You obviously didn't read my post.

I don't really want android apps. I want native apps. But they don't exist. So if you want apps like ebay, NBA tv, what's app, doodle jump, 4shared, etc, the only way to get the is by sideloading them. I wish I could just go to Appworld and get them, but. I can't.

I think the playbook is an awesome tablet. I love it. But RIM has done an awful jpb of supporting it unfortunately. So users are force to use avenues like sideloading to get apps. Now they say they'll remove that option too.

I don't want android apps. But since RIM isn't bringing the apps, where else can we get them?
    04-08-12 07:02 PM
    Where do you see in the removal of sideloading "the open, configurable tablet model?"

They are going for the walled-garden from what it sounds like. It will be very difficult for developers, at least, smaller developers to beta test. There will be serious issues with open, public beta tests. If Rim does not like the app for whatever reason, it will never be available. We would have never had the initial browsers that allowed changing User Agents under Rim's scheme.

Rim just needs to encrypt the DM backups to thwart piracy (unless of course, they give that key to India, also).
    Not so F2. We already have a "sandbox" feature in App World that lets specified BBIDs download our apps for free. It is speculated that RIM will be expanding on this and adding the capability for corporations to privately distribute their internal apps. In addition, we do not need to sideload signed apps to do our desktop testing - debug tokens work very well for that purpose. Operating completely open beta tests is asking for your release candidate to be pirated - I would never allow this kind of access to my app.
    04-08-12 07:03 PM
    @sashlon is right that developers aren't exactly tripping over each other to support this platform. But given that fact, shouldnt RIM then be more diligent in addressing the concerns of the developer community?

Sideloading was never a long term answer. Working well with developers and treating them as valued partners is the long term answer.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 04-08-12 at 07:21 PM.
    04-08-12 07:08 PM

I don't really want android apps. I want native apps. But they don't exist. So if you want apps like ebay, NBA tv, what's app, doodle jump, 4shared, etc, the only way to get the is by sideloading them. I wish I could just go to Appworld and get them, but. I can't.

I think the playbook is an awesome tablet. I love it. But RIM has done an awful jpb of supporting it unfortunately. So users are force to use avenues like sideloading to get apps. Now they say they'll remove that option too.

I don't want android apps. But since RIM isn't bringing the apps, where else can we get them?
    YES, I read your post, and all I'm saying is since those "native" apps don't exist on the PlayBook and if you consider the next update to be a "downgrade" then maybe you should invest in a second tablet that can satisfy your wants and needs. It still amazing how when the PlayBook doesn't adhere to the individual its a "fail"
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    04-08-12 07:12 PM
    YES, I read your post, and all I'm saying is since those "native" apps don't exist on the PlayBook and if you consider the next update to be a "downgrade" then maybe you should invest in a second tablet that can satisfy your wants and needs. It still amazing how when the PlayBook doesn't adhere to the individual its a "fail"
    But the playbook is not a fail.

RIM's inability to support it properly is the failure. They built such an awesome device. My wife's iPad 2 is inferior to it IMO. The gesture-based UI is fantastic. But they haven't supported it. I want the update to fix the bugs in the system. I want the browser crashes gone. But it seems I'm going to have to trade away 50% of its capability to get those fixes.
    04-08-12 07:19 PM
    I think he means no more sideloading....
    LOL, big loss
    04-08-12 07:21 PM
    Not so F2. We already have a "sandbox" feature in App World that lets specified BBIDs download our apps for free. It is speculated that RIM will be expanding on this and adding the capability for corporations to privately distribute their internal apps. In addition, we do not need to sideload signed apps to do our desktop testing - debug tokens work very well for that purpose. Operating completely open beta tests is asking for your release candidate to be pirated - I would never allow this kind of access to my app.
    Beta testing has been a standard procedure forever and does help root out bugs that simulators etc. do not find.

To prevent the beta apps from being pirated do as many others do with betas, put in a expiration date and disable function into the app.

I have beta tested several app with this ability and it works well.

Tim
    04-08-12 07:22 PM
    But the playbook is not a fail.

RIM's inability to support it properly is the failure. They built such an awesome device. My wife's iPad 2 is inferior to it IMO. The gesture-based UI is fantastic. But they haven't supported it. I want the update to fix the bugs in the system. I want the browser crashes gone. But it seems I'm going to have to trade away 50% of its capability to get those fixes.
    I see your point. I know I'm going to get reamed for this next comment......I have thought about buying a.....ipad as a second tablet (ouch), that hurt, because of certain apps, then I realized that I don't really need just want those apps......I like my PlayBook and it suits my lifestyle perfect and any enhancements, is just icing on the cake (cupcake). Could the PlayBook be better in alot of areas SURE, but it's not bad, not bad at all.
    04-08-12 07:33 PM
    I just detest the fact that, whatever else it is, the next upgrade wont add any new features or continue to evolve the product. We are back to meaningless, useless increases in the OS build #.
    04-08-12 07:33 PM
    I don't sideload apps...I'm not super app crazy though. I'm looking forward to the next update and with all other things in life try to remain patient. I would still argue RIM has moved quickly in their first year of a new OS, especially considering the hostile environment.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    04-08-12 07:39 PM

I've seen this complaint, amongst other, many times.

If a product can't/doesnt do what you need it to, switch.

I sugguest selling your PB and get an iPad or android device.
    04-08-12 08:09 PM
    These sideload complaints threads are pretty funny to read. 3/4 of you sideloaders are users, not developers and you users think it's your right to sideload software that the original developer didn't authorize it for use on the playbook.

How many of you users would even know how to sideload without reading it on the internet?
    taylor96 likes this.
    04-08-12 08:13 PM
    These sideload complaints threads are pretty funny to read. 3/4 of you sideloaders are users, not developers and you users think it's your right to sideload software that the original developer didn't authorize it for use on the playbook.

How many of you users would even know how to sideload without reading it on the internet?
    What if the apps we are talking about here are free of charge?
    04-08-12 08:20 PM

Maybe that is the real reason rim is canceling side loading. Because they might face piracy litigation.

I was under the impression that when Os2.0 was coming out we were going to have access to the android app store. That rim had worked a deal where we could purchase apps or download the free versions of android apps that had been tested and worked in the android player.

I was pretty shocked at this whole pirate like side loading community that has sprung up. But I'm not judging I side loaded the kindle app.
    04-08-12 08:25 PM
    No one here really knows what the next update will bring. RIM plans to remove side loading but we all knew this. Has it been said it will be removed in the next update?

Besides, if your worried about Rim removing side loading just remember...BBSAK and other programs. Surely someone will build a program to "get around ".

And who knows, RIM may even deliver some top name apps that they Have to have for bb10 and no one will give a rats azz about side loading.

It's not as bad as it seems.....or is it!?
    04-08-12 08:27 PM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD