Hey guys,
    I'm seeking ideas for what to do with my 32GB Playbook. It's been collecting dusting for quite some time and I don't expect to pick it back up to use it as a daily tablet again. Unless something incrediable happens such as a major OS update which we all know won't happen. So I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who have done something interesting to theirs what it was.
    11-17-14 11:03 AM
    My uses (nothing groundbreaking/creative):

For me, it continues to be a great media consumption device through apps like Kalemsoft Media Player, Showbox (sideloaded), Stereotube, and Songza (sideloaded). I prop it on our treadmill and watch or listen to something while I run. The odd time I'll hook it up to our TV through HDMI and watch a movie that way. I sometimes use it for streaming radio.

Lately I've been using the native Zinio app, too. Our local library has an agreement with Zinio, so I check out magazines, download them later through Zinio on my PB, and read away. Also, for RSS feeds, WebReader is a great native app that just got Feedly support. That revived the PB a bit for me.

Things I used to do with it: I used to use it for gaming, browsing, etc, but not so much any more -- very light browsing. I used to dabble with GPS navigation apps on it; always has been a dead end for me, so I wouldn't recommend that option. I used to test out sideloads, but have backed off from that.

If I think of anything else, I'll update the post.
    11-17-14 11:17 AM

For me, it continues to be a great media consumption device through apps like Kalemsoft Media Player, Showbox (sideloaded), Stereotube, and Songza (sideloaded). I prop it on our treadmill and watch or listen to something while I run. The odd time I'll hook it up to our TV through HDMI and watch a movie that way. I sometimes use it for streaming radio.

Lately I've been using the native Zinio app, too. Our local library has an agreement with Zinio, so I check out magazines, download them later through Zinio on my PB, and read away. Also, for RSS feeds, WebReader is a great native app that just got Feedly support. That revived the PB a bit for me.

Things I used to do with it: I used to use it for gaming, browsing, etc, but not so much any more -- very light browsing. I used to dabble with GPS navigation apps on it; always has been a dead end for me, so I wouldn't recommend that option. I used to test out sideloads, but have backed off from that.

If I think of anythin
    Great thanks for the ideas. However, I recently was handed down my wife's iPad 2 which sadly runs apps and the like much better than the PB. So I'm looking for something creative to do with the PB since I doubt I could sell it for anything worthwhile.
    11-17-14 11:21 AM
    Great thanks for the ideas. However, I recently was handed down my wife's iPad 2 which sadly runs apps and the like much better than the PB. So I'm looking for something creative to do with the PB since I doubt I could sell it for anything worthwhile.
    You're right on both fronts!

Hopefully others will chime in. The PB definitely excels at media for me -- great speakers and display, which are its qualities that are touted the most around here. I haven't used the iPad 2, but I'm sure it's no slouch. For me, though, I doubt I'd like the larger size; PB just feels good in the hand...though that doesn't matter if it doesn't do what you need it to do, of course!
    scmcc16 likes this.
    11-17-14 01:03 PM
    Taptu news aggregator
    Gpodder podcast manager
    7 Digital Music Store
    Evernote
    Tapatalk
    Fast Browser
    Origami Browser
    Scoremobile to follow sporting scores
    Nobex Radio
    Various Financial Apps
    Willow (Twitter App)

The list goes on.
    11-17-14 09:38 PM
    A little video i made
    11-18-14 12:48 PM

If I think of anything else, I'll update the post.
    Zinio works for you? I couldn't get it to work. I kept getting a service error. I tried a few android ports and I got version 1.9 to sort of work but it continuously crashes a minute after opening the app. The latest version doesn't work either. :/

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 03:23 AM
    You side loaded showbox? I haven't got a clue how you do that? Can you please explain? Would love showbox on my PB!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 04:41 AM
    Zinio works for you? I couldn't get it to work. I kept getting a service error. I tried a few android ports and I got version 1.9 to sort of work but it continuously crashes a minute after opening the app. The latest version doesn't work either. :/

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I've been using the native app. When you say the latest version, do you mean an Android sideload or the native app?

I noticed when I did a fresh install of the OS and opened Zinio, it wouldn't let me login correctly. I deleted the app and reinstalled from BB World and that seemed to kick it into gear and make it work again.

Hope you're able to get it to work.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-11-14 10:04 AM
    That worked! Thanks! Yeah, I was trying Android ports.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    12-11-14 04:57 PM
    I use my two playbooks as Sonos type speakers, and control them from pretty much any other device. One is hooked up to my living room stereo, and the other is typically in the bedroom, or I take it out on the patio, or in the workshop. Basically a portable Sonos speaker.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-12-14 11:50 PM
    I use my two playbooks as Sonos type speakers, and control them from pretty much any other device. One is hooked up to my living room stereo, and the other is typically in the bedroom, or I take it out on the patio, or in the workshop. Basically a portable Sonos speaker.

Posted via CB10
    What do you use to control the PlayBooks? Bridge?

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 03:08 AM
    I use orange squeeze controller. In order for it to work you need to have a squeeze box software running on your pc or server, free from Logitech (it is the music server software) . Install $0.99 squeeze2pb app for playbook (reciever/player). Install controller app on pb if desired, or on phone, tablet, or pc. You can install controller on any device or multiple devices, (bb, iphone, ipad, android). I use orange squeeze, but there are others, music2touch on pb, or Logitech own squeeze box controller.
    Seekign ideas-img_20141213_104309.png
    Seekign ideas-img_20141213_104300.png
    Seekign ideas-img_20141213_104210.png
    Seekign ideas-img_20141213_103949.jpg

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-13-14 12:43 PM
    ".... I don't expect to pick it back up to use it as a daily tablet again...."

ooor security wipe it donate it with all accessories to a NP organization that can either sell it or utilize it !!
    Maybe a women's shelter could use it if loaded with a couple dozen children's games or educational aids !?

That said I'm still using mine for the same reasons i purchased it a couple yrs back !!
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-13-14 07:18 PM
    I understood what your saying, but PB kills the competition with multitasking...I use it to pay bills, look at You Tube, Crackberry.com, and few other things all at the same time. My daughter has a iPad, and Apple does kill BlackBerry with its apps...but if you are into organization and functionality PB is it. PB iss losing its fans because of the lack of upgrades...if they up it to BB10 I don't they you would want an iPad...or at least BlackBerry should come out with PB2...Hmmm

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 08:39 AM