Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
Like Tree18Likes
  1. bigdaddy0515's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Security breach on playbook? Help requested please

    For the past month or two I have gone to bed putting my pb in standby on the bed side table only to be woken up in the middle of the night with several Internet windows open and running as well as apps? What the heck is going on here? Even more of a concern the webpages pulled up and running are normally sites that are password protected and they are always at the change my password screen. For instance last night it was all mail which I don't use and wells Fargo which I do use. What is making this happen and how can I stop it? A few weeks back walmart.com was even pulled up, there were items in the shopping cart, and it was trying to check out as in hopes that I had saved credit card info there or something? Keep in mind when I go to bed at night I always make sure all apps are closed and all Web sessions are closed as well.

    I'm totally at a loss and everywhere I seem to look I cannot find anyone with anything close to the same problems I am experiencing.

    Thanks in advance for the help.
    saint613 likes this.
  2. bigdaddy0515's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

    Default

    Also, when this happens once am always awaken by music either from a website or panoramic or even the music I have loaded on my phone playing
  3. AVPTI's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,643 Posts
    PIN
    Available upon request.
    #3  

    Default

    Call Ghostbusters.

    555-2368
    XoXoXo
    Thanked by:
    pickles#WP (01-11-2013) 
    Ben1232, heppyX and sosof like this.
  4. BB_Bmore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications
    #4  

    Default

    this is beyond crackberry , you need to contact paranormal society at Penn state. Music from your phone playing on your PlayBook??? I wish my bridge could up and connect itself and launch songs...that would be so awesome
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
  5. SEAWARRIOR's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,449 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    this sounds more like an identity theft issue rather than a playbook security one,,, if i were you i'd call EVERYONE, banks, card holders, even Rim; notify them of suspicious activity,,,, change ALL passwords/security questions & close out unnecessary accounts,,, cut up old cards & get new ones,,, NOW!!!
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

    I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

    "By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."



    9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
  6. Shanerredflag's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    15,140 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Me thinks someone is yanking your chain...have you ticked off any computer engineers lately?
  7. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Has the OP installed any Google Android applications on their BlackBerry PlayBook? Regardless of the answer I recommend manually backing up only data files (documents, music, photographs, movies), performing a security wipe, and reinstalling the BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 software onto the tablet. Afterwards, reinstall only non-Android BlackBerry PlayBook applications and leave the tablet running for a week to verify whether the original issue persists. Once the tablet is functioning normally without any paranormal activity you can manually copy the data files to the tablet.

    If all else fails, contact The Atlantic Paranormal Society (TAPS)
    00stryder likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default

    While the pb can go a bit haywire in the presence of Plasma TV's, those globes that show off mini-lightning bolts and even poorly grounded electric sockets, the fact that you see too specific links pressed or data entered is interesting or more than that. Hate to ask, but any sleep walking in the family? Sleeping medications - ambien has had interesting side affects.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
  9. SEAWARRIOR's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,449 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    While the pb can go a bit haywire in the presence of Plasma TV's, those globes that show off mini-lightning bolts and even poorly grounded electric sockets, the fact that you see too specific links pressed or data entered is interesting or more than that. Hate to ask, but any sleep walking in the family? Sleeping medications - ambien has had interesting side affects.
    OFF TOPIC: what issues are caused by plasma tv's??? i've been lookin' @ them lately...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

    I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

    "By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."



    9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
  10. canuck_67's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    754 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Does this happen during the day? Or just mysterious at night? Somehow I think that there is a very simple answer. When I put my PB to bed, I will turn off the BT and Wifi, so I do not get awoken when email's are received, etc.
    Torch 9800 Black Z10. playbook 16gb playbook 64gb torch 9800 White Z10(2nd) PlayBook 16GB. (3rd)
  11. saint613's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    297 Posts
    #11  

    Exclamation This is real (not a security issue though) quite picking on the poster

    This was documented on this site as an issue early on in the playbooks life cycle with the charging dock, random apps opening etc., I haven't seen it since a couple of OS updates ago on my PB though.
  12. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,508 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWARRIOR View Post
    OFF TOPIC: what issues are caused by plasma tv's??? i've been lookin' @ them lately...
    Here is what F2 is talking about:
    I don't have this problem with my plasma. It may have something to do with the power supply in the TV.


    I have experienced this when I charge the PB in the same area I charge all my other electronic devices.
    OP: is there other electronics in the area of the PB when this happens? I would try to charge in a different area and see if it continues.
    Thanked by 4:
    F2 (01-08-2013),  purple_bb (03-30-2013),  SEAWARRIOR (01-08-2013),  Toodeurep (01-09-2013) 
    Ben1232, SEAWARRIOR and purple_bb like this.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Thanks, Chaddface. I had not seen the video in a while and forgot it was also orchestrated!
  14. karloptimux's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #14  

    Default Security breach on playbook? Help requested please

    Tesla is controlling playbooks from his grave... Freaky.
    Thanked by:
    Bobert_123 (01-09-2013) 
    axllebeer likes this.
  15. RoseBud68's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,482 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Sleep web browsing.....
    BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook 2.1


    Sent from my PC using my finger tips...
  16. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,508 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Thanks, Chaddface. I had not seen the video in a while and forgot it was also orchestrated!
    I remember another video that showed a PB going nuts when the person set it down on top of a macbook. I couldn't find that one.
  17. frood2012's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #17  

    Default Re: Security breach on playbook? Help requested please

    Have you got kids? ;-)
    sosof likes this.
  18. blaze_125's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    There could be a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo close to where you store your PB at night. I don't know what kind of house you live in, but if you're in a semi-detached or an apartment, or a condo... chances are, your house layout is exactly your neighbor's opposite. So your bedroom would be right next to your neighbor's bedroom... Even if there is a thick wall in between the 2 rooms, some signals will still go through.

    Have you got a BB phone running bridge? Could someone in your house be using your phone to control your playbook?

    Within the current context I laid out... here's a scenario for the Walmart shopping cart.
    Guy next door is sitting in bed using a Bluetooth device to control whatever he has.
    He goes on Walmart.com, adds stuff to his cart and gets ready to check out. Meanwhile, the signal makes it to your PB and everything he does on his device gets replicated on your PB.(For all you know, that guy may also be using a Playbook)
    Now, said guy has to enter his credit card info. So he gets out of bed, walks to the kitchen and completes his order.

    Because he got out of bed and walked away, the signal your PB was catching is no longer strong enough to be read and the last thing you see is where he was when he walked away.

    This is pure speculation.
    Last edited by blaze_125; 01-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.
  19. malcerie's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    90 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    I had a similar experience over Xmas where my playbook went nuts trying to load and open different programs. All I did was try to put it on charge. I had bought my wife an RC helicopter ( cough cough ) and was charging it in the same receptacle as my playbook. Turns out that the proximity of the RC charger to the playbook was the culprit.

    You may be experiencing electronic interference.

    Hope this helps.
    To make things difficult is easy.
    To make things easy is often difficult!

    Love my Playbook
  20. linksy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    47 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    It's not a playbook you have, it's an old win95 machine.
  21. frood2012's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #21  

    Default Re: Security breach on playbook? Help requested please

    Quote Originally Posted by linksy View Post
    It's not a playbook you have, it's an old win95 machine.
    lol yeah someone installed Back Orifice
  22. TheScionicMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,744 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
    There could be a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo close to where you store your PB at night. I don't know what kind of house you live in, but if you're in a semi-detached or an apartment, or a condo... chances are, your house layout is exactly your neighbor's opposite. So your bedroom would be right next to your neighbor's bedroom... Even if there is a thick wall in between the 2 rooms, some signals will still go through.

    Have you got a BB phone running bridge? Could someone in your house be using your phone to control your playbook?

    Within the current context I laid out... here's a scenario for the Walmart shopping cart.
    Guy next door is sitting in bed using a Bluetooth device to control whatever he has.
    He goes on Walmart.com, adds stuff to his cart and gets ready to check out. Meanwhile, the signal makes it to your PB and everything he does on his device gets replicated on your PB.(For all you know, that guy may also be using a Playbook)
    Now, said guy has to enter his credit card info. So he gets out of bed, walks to the kitchen and completes his order.

    Because he got out of bed and walked away, the signal your PB was catching is no longer strong enough to be read and the last thing you see is where he was when he walked away.

    This is pure speculation.
    You would have to pair the BlueTooth device before it would function with the PB. And I'm not sure you can even connect to two devices simultaneously with BT.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Has the original poster been back?
  24. BlazorBoy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,411 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,705 Global Posts
    PIN
    pine
    #24  

    Default

    He may be having too much fun reading the answers. Maybe his PB will post tonight.
  25. joshua_sx1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,658 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,661 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Has the original poster been back?
    As long as his/her PlayBook is not floating in the air by itself, I'm sure there is a technical word for that problem... and that can be solved without the need of spiritual interference...

    Anyway, based on my personal experience, most of the software-related problems with PlayBook can be solved by security wipe and upgrading...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. android apps on playbook help please
    By erik10002 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook OS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 08:53 PM
  2. Launching BBM on PlayBook help!
    By sterling_bandit in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 10:33 AM
  3. BBM Icon Doesn't Show Up on Playbook! Help Please!
    By bigchico68 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 10:16 PM
  4. What am I doing wrong? Help requested please
    By ozikiwi in forum Storm OS Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-17-2009, 01:08 PM
  5. Serious Security Breach on Blackberry phones
    By JimIngram in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions