people still go out and buy plasma tv's?? what is this, the 90's?? LED bros... geez
    01-09-13 02:57 AM
    people still go out and buy plasma tv's?? what is this, the 90's?? LED bros... geez
    I'm not an expert in new fangled panel TVs - but plasmas can still be valid choices for some needs.

And LED TVs tend to be largely, LCD TVs with LED backlighting, don't they?
    01-09-13 04:32 AM
    Plasma is still better when viewing in a dark environment. LCD is better in a bright room.
    All LED TVs are LCD screens with LED backlighting.
    01-09-13 04:42 AM
    All LED TVs are LCD screens with LED backlighting.
    Until the OLED tv's get here, apparently in March for a mere $10,000 or so.
    01-09-13 05:43 AM
    Yeah, Tigerdirect regularly sell them, along with The Brick - usually free with a couch.
    01-09-13 05:45 AM
    Any chance your wifi network is not secure and your neighbors are having a little fun with you? And I really would consider anyone in the family that sleepwalks or is using your PB while you are asleep. Let us know what you figure out and post so it can help someone else. Usually when you finally figure out little mysteries like these they are dumb, so don't feel embarrassed. We've all jumped to silly conclusions at one time or another. I kind of like the Ghost Busters suggestions tho ...

OP might not be returning until has time for a security wipe, etc.
    01-09-13 07:35 PM
    Original poster here. I've been out of town on business. Thanks for all the replies all of you. I have not downloaded any apps that were not from bb app world and thinking about it I'm going to remove them as I don't use most of them.

When I go to bed I don't charge my pb as the charger is downstairs in my home office. I've never had this problem happen during the day but I wouldn't be home to know if it were happening in the first place.

I am by far not an expert on bb pb but I don't do drugs, take pills, drink, sleep walk or anything else of that nature. I wish I could catch it happening in front of me and I would record it with my bb. Unfortunately, to date it has only happened at night.

Thanks again for the help and AVPTI, I tried calling Ghostbusters using all three Houston area codes and was unsuccessful. Did you give me the wrong number?
    01-09-13 09:59 PM
    I thought that but when I switched to Uverse I got all new equipment for the house and I had to use new passwords on everything and yet the problem still happened. I was thinking maybe the pb could get malware or a virus that was making all this happen.
    01-09-13 10:17 PM
    If there is malware, yours would be the first instance. Did you install any of the Remote type apps that create servers or let you control things remotely? A bb phone using Bridge can be a remote as can BT keyboards or mice.
    01-09-13 11:38 PM
    Nope, and it happened again last night. All the settings are now changed on this Damn thing and the auto word is trying to get me to type in Spanish. Its weird, my pb even turned itself off. I cleared the browser History before i went to bed and turned the volume all the way down. The pb went to wells fargo online, saved one of the pages on my home screen as a bookmark, played Pandora, switched its language to Spanish, and went to a couple news sites, bb sites, and a few .gov sites. I guess i will call RIM since i am the first and only to have a demon possesed pb...
    purple_bb likes this.
    01-10-13 10:04 PM
    I guess my only option is to perform a security wipe and see what happens. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend...
    01-10-13 10:14 PM
    Take it out in the sun and drive a silver stake through it's heart while wearing a necklace of garlic. Or are you writing a book about it?
    Techno-Emigre and purple_bb like this.
    01-10-13 10:24 PM
    I would UNinstall all added apps and see what happens. The actions you describe are too specific to be randomly generated by electric current. As asked, do you live with anyone would could be playing tricks on you?

I'll ask - do you have a wells fargo account? You have a standard pb with the standard OS? You never did not use tools to root it and install anything odd.
    01-10-13 11:06 PM
    wow... this is freaky! I'm going to subscribe to this thread & follow this mystery!!
    01-11-13 04:03 PM
    OP when you get this figured out you HAVE to let us know what it is and if RIM support said there were others. Now I am going to afraid to sleep at night LOL! I can't remember as have read this over a couple of days but I am assuming you did a hard reset on your PB? You hold down the power button until the menu options disappear. That is different than just turning it off where you quickly hit the power button. I rarely turn mine off. Usually just put it in standby.
    01-11-13 04:13 PM
    The actions you describe are too specific to be randomly generated by electric current.
    I would agree with this statement. If things are happening as you describe it would be to the benefit of all to contact RIM.

After reading this post I was moving my PB around my plasma TV trying to get a reaction. I noticed I would get the random movements if I put the PB in the back of the TV with screen facing the TV. The PB would be within an inch of the transformers or whatever makes the power for the bulb and it starts to go wacky. Judging by the movements I can't understand how it could open multiple websites. In the past, when I had the wacky behavior near other chargers, the PB locked up.
    01-11-13 05:18 PM
    Also, now would be a good time to apply a password to that pb. If you have one and the "random" is somehow still getting in - that means a definite security issue but it may be just your pb.

I will admit that some of the "remote" operations apps and those that require a companion app on my computer have made me leery. I have no idea what I may in fact be installing but if **I** can log in remotely using my pb, then (asked with a hint of paranoia) can the developer of the module or modules also log in or control or watch?
    01-11-13 06:30 PM
    There's a warning issued from homeland security to disable java because there's a hack that compromises computers.

US government tells computer users to disable Java | General Headlines | Comcast
    01-11-13 09:59 PM
    When I got my PlayBook there was a problem with its touch display.

Sometimes it was completely unresponsive, sometimes it worked just fine and other times it was as if somebody was just randomly touching it. I had to RMA it.

The thing is; when it was behaving in the random manner, it was amusing how far into apps it could sometimes get. On a few occasions my PlayBook was sitting on my coffee table, in standby, come to life, i'd see an app open, the screen zoom in, out. I can remember it once getting in App World and selecting an app.

When I got it back, never saw saw this behavior again.
    01-12-13 01:14 AM
    OP when you get this figured out you HAVE to let us know what it is and if RIM support said there were others. Now I am going to afraid to sleep at night LOL!
    Has this been resolved? Would love to know what the answer is/was.
    01-18-13 07:05 AM
    Alright. This might sound funny - but I am in a panic when something similar happened to me today.
    My playbook was fully charged and not connected to charger. It was 1:00 am midnight and the facebook app launched. I woke up when I heard the keyboard on the playbook. The book is in its case with the screen facing down. But I can see the screen lit on - somebody was typing!!!
    It had some garbled text like "ljsjvfgjfgjsgfjfjjesfjpws church ;afjpwefkjewfk[k04"
    I switched off the playbook immediately.

This is a new book that i bought this week. Security wipe was done already when I received it.
    It looks like a phantom keystroke application run from remote.
    03-30-13 02:19 PM
    Alright. This might sound funny - but I am in a panic when something similar happened to me today.
    My playbook was fully charged and not connected to charger. It was 1:00 am midnight and the facebook app launched. I woke up when I heard the keyboard on the playbook. The book is in its case with the screen facing down. But I can see the screen lit on - somebody was typing!!!
    It had some garbled text like "ljsjvfgjfgjsgfjfjjesfjpws church ;afjpwefkjewfk[k04"
    I switched off the playbook immediately.

This is a new book that i bought this week. Security wipe was done already when I received it.
    Sounds like OS10 trying to get into your PB.
    03-30-13 02:43 PM
    It makes perfect sense that someone would remotely hack your PB to generate random gibberish characters...

I've had my PB in my pocket and when I take it out, someone has tried to enter the password 6 times and it requires me to type BlackBerry.

Am I being hacked or does the PB thinks it is getting touch input for some reason?
    03-30-13 05:17 PM
    I'd think that something electrical or electronic is generating "electrical noise" and for some reason the pb is responding.
    03-30-13 06:16 PM
    I'd think that something electrical or electronic is generating "electrical noise" and for some reason the pb is responding.
    I would tend to agree. I had the same problem this afternoon when I closed up the PlayBook in its BlueTooth mini keyboard case with the PlayBook facing down on the keyboard. I encountered similar problems in the past with random apps opening up and / or random keystrokes being recorded again all in circumstances where the PlayBook was pressing on something while being carried in my coat pocket.

When I opened the PlayBook again, it was on some random website and was very slow to respond. It took a while to get back to normal which suggests there may have been some sort of "discharge" creating a lot of inputs that it took a while for the PlayBook to process. This never happens with the case left open or folded with the PlayBook on the bottom.
    03-30-13 07:46 PM
52 123