If this will work with the playbook might be cool. Granted battery life looks like its only 5 hrs but would offer alot more storage for media.

GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate
    Last edited by jjjahn; 05-21-11 at 07:04 PM. Reason: add address
    05-21-11 06:53 PM
    I will buy one if it will work with the PB. Thanks for a useful post.
    05-21-11 07:45 PM
    I would be very interested to know if this will work. Thanks.
    05-21-11 07:53 PM
    I asked about this before on this forum and was promptly told that it wasn't going to work, followed by no explanation. Though it seems that they are advertising for ipad and xoom. But im not sure why it would work on xoom and not playbook if you can connect to the device via browser.
    05-21-11 08:25 PM
    seems like itd be better to have internet accessible storage rather than lugging around a portable drive

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-11 08:30 PM
    seems like itd be better to have internet accessible storage rather than lugging around a portable drive

To me it would be better then internet accessible storage. For one more space less money. Second could play right from it. Third dont have to have internet access to watch. The only thing i can see that might stop it from working is if it would work with the playbook browser.
    05-21-11 08:48 PM
    actually that costs more than a NAS drive that is twice the size

05-21-11 08:53 PM
    I just bought a Seagate Goflex Satellite Drive and wanted to let the forum know that it works great with my Play Book. I am using Foxreal to rip my movie collection to it. I got he optional Firewire 800 connector because my Macbook does not have USB 3.0. I have about 25 movies on it and so far it works great. I probably wont pup my music and pictures on it because I have plenty of room on my 64GB PB for them.
    bquinney likes this.
    07-12-11 02:19 AM
    The one problem with this is that it creates its own WiFi connection and that's the only way to connect to it. So while you are connected to the Satellite you cannot connect to another WiFi and surf the web.
    07-14-11 07:08 AM
    The one problem with this is that it creates its own WiFi connection and that's the only way to connect to it. So while you are connected to the Satellite you cannot connect to another WiFi and surf the web.
    But then could you tether or bridge? Have both going at the same time (wifi & bridge/tether)?
    07-14-11 08:26 AM
    Seagate, on their website, says that the hardware is already there to allow you to connect to the internet while using the drive. They are working on a firmware upgrade that will enable this feature. Where have we heard this before. So I bought it on faith. The same way I bought my PB.
    07-14-11 10:38 AM
    But then could you tether or bridge? Have both going at the same time (wifi & bridge/tether)?
    I guess that would be possible, slow but possible.

Seagate, on their website, says that the hardware is already there to allow you to connect to the internet while using the drive. They are working on a firmware upgrade that will enable this feature. Where have we heard this before. So I bought it on faith. The same way I bought my PB.
    I was just stating what they told me when I called them the other day. Now I will call them back and ask them about what you posted. Thanks.
    07-14-11 11:52 AM

I was just stating what they told me when I called them the other day. Now I will call them back and ask them about what you posted. Thanks.
    keep us posted on what they say
    07-14-11 05:51 PM
    i work for Seagate and was part of this drive and application development.

when you call and ask about the ability to connect to the device and the internet at the same time, i doubt anyone will be able to provide much info.

the firmware ungrades have been in development since before the product was released. this was something that was identified very early in testing. the product will have this ability, but it won't be for a while. possibly not until the end of the year.
    hackerguy likes this.
    07-14-11 06:45 PM
    I called the Seagate pre-sales line again and asked about this and they told me they are working on this feature and it will be released once they are comfortable it works. They did not give me any time frame.

I will keep an eye on it and try it once they have this feature working.
    07-15-11 10:14 AM
    Hi,
    I just picked up a Seagate GoFlex Satellite and it works great with the PlayBook and my Torch
    Very Happy with this setup. We don't need no stinkin' apps
    07-30-11 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD