I like the sound of having someway of getting my camera pictures onto my PB. I teach students with special needs and we often go out places to take photos. I don't think it would be practical to take the pics on my PB, so use my digital camera.

I have tried putting the micro SD into my phone but I can't find a way to get the pictures onto my PB through bridge. I'd like to upload them to our Facebook page, or email them to the students as part of their ICT lesson. I know its possible to do this on my phone, it's just a lot slower than doing it on the PB.

If anyone can give me a solution, either getting the photos off my phone through bridge, or a SD card reader that works, I'd be very grateful.
    08-21-11 04:35 AM
    I like the sound of having someway of getting my camera pictures onto my PB. I teach students with special needs and we often go out places to take photos. I don't think it would be practical to take the pics on my PB, so use my digital camera.

I have tried putting the micro SD into my phone but I can't find a way to get the pictures onto my PB through bridge. I'd like to upload them to our Facebook page, or email them to the students as part of their ICT lesson. I know its possible to do this on my phone, it's just a lot slower than doing it on the PB.

If anyone can give me a solution, either getting the photos off my phone through bridge, or a SD card reader that works, I'd be very grateful.
    There are a couple of things you might try. After you put your micro SD card into your phone you could either email them to yourself, which may take some doing depending on the file size of the images. Or get a free dropbox account and dump the images into dropbox from your phone and then grab them from dropbox on your playbook.

Kind of a round about way to do it, but would work until something else comes along. I have dropbox on my bb phone, playbook and computers and it works great
    anon(3641385) and pixieloulou like this.
    08-21-11 08:02 AM
    Oh and by the way, last I tried the bluebox app that is supposed to work with dropbox....it didn't work, so just go to dropbox dot com and setup your account.
    08-21-11 08:09 AM

Cant you just use something like File Browser and copy the files from your phone to the PB? I do it all the time using File Browser.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-21-11 09:18 AM
    Cant you just use something like File Browser and copy the files from your phone to the PB? I do it all the time using File Browser.
    That's the way I've been able to do it, too.
    jfelen, jfelen and jfelen like this.
    08-21-11 09:36 AM
    I have just downloaded the trial version of Files and Folders so I will give that a go. As for dropbox, I completely forgot I had this! *slaps head* Never even thought about it! Thanks for the help guys/girls!
    08-21-11 12:20 PM
    I have just downloaded the trial version of Files and Folders so I will give that a go. As for dropbox, I completely forgot I had this! *slaps head* Never even thought about it! Thanks for the help guys/girls!
    I'm going to go pick up my PB this afternoon and Ther 2 main reasons I'm getting it is
    1- web access while out of country on vacation through wifi
    and
    2- using it to upload pics form my camera to my fb and or email.

Anyone find a simple solution to this that doesn't involve going through bridge?
    10-06-11 11:40 AM
    Anyone got a solution yet? Would be great if there were a dongle available!
    10-20-11 03:24 PM
    I wonder if anyone who has beta 2.0 can test this?
    10-20-11 04:00 PM
    I wonder if anyone who has beta 2.0 can test this?
    The 2.0 beta doesn't have OTG support. The PlayBook does have a Micro AB (OTG-compatible) port though, the only reason RIM would put one in is if they intended to support OTG. So, even if it's not in 2.0, it should be arriving at some point.
    10-20-11 05:06 PM
    Eye-Fi may create an app for the PB, but I think the the PB needs to support AD-Hoc for this to work. I don't think it would take much in the coding dept. The PB grabs the wifi network (just like my Oly E3) and they go into PC.

Ad-Hoc, that all we ask............and the photogs (pros also) would scoop this up!

C
    10-21-11 09:59 AM
    It looks like airstash is trying to accomplish sd with iPod through WiFi but first glance suggests this solution from DTech MIGHT work: card reader with bluetooth - 55-in-1 Card Reader with Bluetooth | Ubergizmo

Has anyone tried it yet?
    11-22-11 05:45 AM
    when bridge files works wouldnt you be able to read microSD cards that are attached to your BB??
    Seems like a good question. Has anyone tried doing this? Even if you might have to use an app like Files and Folders?
    11-22-11 06:06 AM
    I think this devices connects via usb to the tablet/computer. If this is the case, this will not work as the USB host is disabled on the current version of the PB OS. You need something that will broadcast over wifi. Hence the whole Huawei mi-fi
    11-22-11 08:59 AM
    3rd party app, File Browser does allow access to the bb's sd card as well as internal memory. You can copy/move/paste files between devices. Speed for larger files can be slow. I believe Files/Folders can do it, too but I've not purchased that one yet - I missed the sale a week or so ago!
    11-22-11 09:07 AM
    I am wondering if the DTech device will connect via bluetooth and only power off the USB (and then there would be the issue of mini jack or just using USB power supply). Actual interconnection with the dual bluetooth is not clear. Sloppy at best but I don't have a smartphone and want the extended memory capability for data and file swapping.

Another interesting thing I found is a bluetooth smart card reader designed to work with the BB cell phones bluetooth (so possibly will since and read with the tablet).

BlackBerry - SMART card reader - contact - Bluetooth - External

It is intended for security but would be ideal as just a memory card if it was 1/3 the price. At $150 without the SD, I might as well continue looking at used BB's with OS 6 or above and be able to connect to the internet on vacation using a prepaid data plan
    Last edited by D_Whatley; 11-22-11 at 04:43 PM.
    11-22-11 04:41 PM
    I've found that if I take out the SIM from my Three UK Huawei E585 Mobile Hotspot that I can transfer files via Wifi to/from the Micro SD in the modem itself, not ideal but it does the job if needed!
    11-22-11 04:44 PM
    I've found that if I take out the SIM from my Three UK Huawei E585 Mobile Hotspot that I can transfer files via Wifi to/from the Micro SD in the modem itself, not ideal but it does the job if needed!
    Precisely what I mentioned above. If ur gonna spend 100-150, might as well get a huawei mifi
    11-22-11 06:00 PM
    It looks like AirStash actually may have a product now that creates a local WiFi connection and uses an SD card (32GB max). It is supposed to be a standalone or USB (charging through USB) connection. The "order status" link is suspicious. They announced distribution through Maxell and it is confirmed on the Maxell site but I cannot see it for sale through any current links.

Edit: The review for the airstash has a statement that makes this option of no interest:

Though the company claims all you need to access files is a device with a web browser -- except the BlackBerry Playbook
    Last edited by D_Whatley; 11-24-11 at 12:45 AM.
    11-22-11 08:36 PM
    So does the airstash work?
    12-24-11 12:22 AM
    Since the official launch of OS2 has anyone made any progress in being able to connect a USB SD Card reader to the PB. Looking for options to transfer photos from camera card to PB and upload to cloud drive.
    02-26-12 09:04 AM
    I use 32Gb microSD in 3G WiFi router Huawey 5830. For access to microSD I use ftp client in GHost comander. I setup dlna server Mediatomb in router and waitin client for Playbook.
    02-26-12 10:07 AM
    I got GoFlex Satellite and it worked, but you have to in a WiFi area. So if your smart phone is a hotspot, you can use the two, but it's costly. I don't know about security though, I only use it at home.
    07-25-13 06:44 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD