Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By convenor
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Screen Saver Timeout on Playbook (ie use as kiosk

Hi,

I have a requirement where I have a playbook surf to a site, and then remain there for an indefinite timeframe, displaying various data, and polls. The site works quite well, but the playbook has a built in timeout of 5minutes, at which point the screen powers down. I am looking for an app/setting that could turn the playbook into a kiosk mode. Or other options to disable/overright the screen timeout. Either an app, an O/S hack, anything to keep the screen & brower alive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Regards,
    Rob (flemster)
    CrackBerry Genius

Backlight override is an app I bought just for this purpose. It doesn't seem to work for me and the email address for the app in App World is dead.

Just a heads up to save you $$$
    CrackBerry User

You should checkout Simple browser (free or there is a plus version)....in the description they explain that, as long as your PB is in showcase mode, simple browser will suspend the standby action of the screen, which I think is what you are trying to do.
    Proud of my BB9900 + Playbook 32 gb & 16 gb
    rebroker2009 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for the quick feedback. I will check out Simple Browser and report back..
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think you may be out of luck as the PB will remain awake only if a movie is playing. Other non-browser apps require focus to keep the PB alive so they can be only helpful if you can read the text from the adjacent browser being minimized.

I really cannot understand RIM's continued shortsightedness in not having a "on while plugged-in" setting, or similar.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by jackpots View Post
    I think you may be out of luck as the PB will remain awake only if a movie is playing. Other non-browser apps require focus to keep the PB alive so they can be only helpful if you can read the text from the adjacent browser being minimized.

I really cannot understand RIM's continued shortsightedness in not having a "on while plugged-in" setting, or similar.
    This is not true. Some apps have an internal keep awake function- Simple Browser+ is one of these.-
    CrackBerry Newbie

I need a kiosk browser for Playbook like the android app called Pronestor or Kiosk app. These apps prevent the screen from pinching and zooming.
    I cant seem to find an app like this for the Playbook. Not sure there is one. Does anyone know if there is an app or setting that will do this? Thanks.