What's the consensus on screen protectors? I'm having a heckuva time getting the one that came w/ my incipio silicrylic on there. I can't seem to get the tiny specks of dust off of it no matter what i do. They cause the bubbles...
    At this point I'm thinking of breaking down and paying best buy to do it.

Are screen protectors even necessary anymore?
    03-17-12 09:50 AM
    get the spray screen protector its very thin layer that you cant even notice that you are wearing it on your bb. plus screen protector mate finish is finger print proof which is cleaner to look at your screen.
    03-17-12 10:11 AM
    I have used screen protectors since my 8330 days, it gives me a piece of mind knowing its there and not having to worry about scratches. Why take a chance, these electronic devices are expensive. IMO, a couple of extra bucks to protect the screen is a no brainer. I usually put them on myself, but I had BestBuy do my PlayBook back in May with a Zagg invisible shield. It still looks good, well worth the money.
    03-17-12 10:12 AM
    no screen protector is not necessary ... pb is extremely resilient to damage
    sixthelement likes this.
    03-17-12 10:16 AM
    What's the consensus on screen protectors?
    They suck until you drop your device on a rough surface and then you thank God you had it. Also, if the screen is glossy, a quality anti-glare protector can make a huge difference.
    03-17-12 10:18 AM
    I just took my protection off and find the responsiveness and feel of the screen materially better. I really like it but that's just me...just be extra careful
    03-17-12 11:19 AM
    Well, the things is my sons will probably use it...

Anyone have an extra one they want to sell me for a few bucks? I know they come in packages w/ multiples sometimes. I don't have enough posts to post in the market forum.
    03-17-12 11:29 AM
    I did my own Zagg invisible shield protector. Just spray evenly so you can center your shield. You will have air bubles,but they will go away ina couple of days as you use you PB.
    03-17-12 11:32 AM
    I used my PB naked a few weeks before I put a protector on it. It felt so responsive and smooth without a protector...however I ended up putting a Zagg protector on it just for piece of mind since it goes everywhere with me. Giving up a bit of responsiveness for the assurance of no damage to the screen is a small price to pay. To can use your shirt or a napkin even to wipe the surface with no worries! And finger prints are less noticeable.
    03-17-12 12:01 PM
    My screen is just as responsive as before I applied mine. I love mine.
    03-17-12 12:02 PM
    InvisibleSHIELD on mine since day 1, looks great and no bubbles, like the above poster mentioned, small micro bubbles will go away in a couple of days to about 1 week.
    03-17-12 12:02 PM
    No, it isn't a necessity. I have use my playbook for 6 months without a screen protector and it still looks brand new. The screen was designed to take the beating of a normal use, so I just make sure I don't do stupid ____ and closely supervise anyone else who uses it.
    03-17-12 12:22 PM
    i have a screen protector.. the crappy one from ebay. the first one i have on it was a bit bent in the corners so it looks silly so i kept saying 1 more beating and i'll change it... but i ve scratched it many times and it hasnt left a mark. Ive even spilled droplets of water on the screen (droplets) and im glad there was a screen protector (and also glad it was droplets not blobs that would ruin my playbook) So all in all im glad i have a protector. It gives me a piece of mind. I keep hearing about this graphics being better if its off but im a more conservative guy so i rather be safe than graphicy
    03-17-12 12:39 PM
    Murphey's law. If you don't get one, you'll end up scratching your screen. If you do get one, the mere fact that you're the kind of person to protect your device means you will overall be more careful and aware of it.

A tip for you all. Run your shower on its hottest setting, get the bathroom good and foggy. Now wait a few minutes for the steam to settle. Now grab your screen protector and cleaning cloth, wipe that screen CLEAN. It took me more than just a wipe, I was tilting it towards the light, any spec of dust will be a bubble. Proceed with application. I did this with a cheapo screen protector. First application NOT A SINGLE BUBBLE. I promise it will work like a charm. You just need a dust free environment.
    03-17-12 12:50 PM
    Well in my opinion, whats the point in buying a great device like the PB and only use it half way ? Screen protectors may do the job, but they cut back on picture quality.

Why drive a Corvette and never go into 5th or 6th gear ?

You will get a year or two before you upgrade to the next model. Might as well get your dollar worth.
    03-17-12 01:25 PM
    I do not use one on my PlayBook. To me screen protectors are more for when the device gets dropped and lands face down. Normal use should never scratch a screen. But a good drop will. I always have it in its sleeve when I am on the move and likely to drop it.
    03-17-12 01:31 PM
    After 4 months of moderate-heavy use, imo, protectors are not required for most uses and offer no real benefits.
    03-17-12 02:22 PM
    Over the years, I've read the same arguments for bicycle helmets. They aren't need UNTIL they are and "accidents" don't happen to careful users or bicyclists.

Check the recent thread about "I scratched my screen"
    03-17-12 03:11 PM

Anyone have an extra one they want to sell me for a few bucks? I know they come in packages w/ multiples sometimes. I don't have enough posts to post in the market forum.
    PM me your address, and I'll send you a Griffin mat finished protector; free of course.
    coalesce99 and Spencerdl like this.
    03-17-12 03:16 PM
    An aluminum-framed picture fell off a shelf and landed on my Ghost Armor-protected PB, corner first on the screen. Hit with enough force to bend the sharp corner and punctured the GA. Not a blemish on the screen, though. No one will convince me that my PB wasn't saved by my Ghost Armor.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-17-12 03:30 PM

If your kids will use it, then yes, do get one. My kids managed to put very fine scratches on our iPad screen, don't ask me how, but they did. I bought a crystal clear protector, and now all is good. Don't get the matte anti glare protectors, they cut down on screen quality, get the clear stuff.

If it was just me using it, I probably wouldn't get one, but I still think you'd get some swirl marks from simply cleaning the screen over time. So if stuff like that troubles you (or you intend on reselling every year) then a protector works.
    03-17-12 03:39 PM
    An aluminum-framed picture fell off a shelf and landed on my Ghost Armor-protected PB, corner first on the screen. Hit with enough force to bend the sharp corner and punctured the GA. Not a blemish on the screen, though. No one will convince me that my PB wasn't saved by my Ghost Armor.
    Evidence that accidents do happen - and turn down the bass woofer on that sound system!
    03-17-12 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD