Are you going to put a screen protector on your new PB? I'm leaning toward "No" because it just seems to take away from the whole touch-screen-swiping-way-of-the-future aura.

I have two points of reference:

I have an iPod Touch and have never had a protector sheet on it. No scratches... just my smeary little fingerprints which have to be wiped off now and then. Works great that way.

My Storm still has the same sheet of plastic the VZW guy put on it two years ago when I bought it. I can't even tell it's on there except the little pull tab down in the corner. Still has to be wiped off just as much as the iPod. Works great this way too.

Then again, mine will be at home most of the time so it's not out there in the world when it can get scratched or beat up. It will definitely be in a case of some yet undetermined type, and possibly a gel skin on it as well.

What are you planning to do?
    03-26-11 02:09 PM
    I'm going with a screen protector. I put one on my wifes ipad a few months ago when she got it and it has had no effect on the touch. Of course re-calibrate after you put the protector on (better safe than sorry). So yes, i'll be ordering a 3 pack from amazon.
    03-26-11 02:21 PM
    The screen brightness and crispness is reduced when you have a screen protector, at least that's what I thought. Also, if the screen protector starts peeling off a little, then it will peel off more due to the swiping method of navigation. I'd say don't get a screen protector unless you care about having nicks and scratches on your PlayBook, because anything more than that will happen whether or not you have a screen protector.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 02:35 PM
    I guess it will depend on how you plan to carry it. If you're just going to use one of those skins/cases that only covers the back then I would get a screen protector. If you put it in a day runner type case that has a flap over it you may could go with out a screen protector.

I'd probably put one on even with the day runner type case
    03-26-11 03:12 PM
    Im debating a Invisible Shield when it comes out - I've had it on my 9000, 9700 & ipod touch with no issues. Plus they replace them when needed.
    03-26-11 03:20 PM
    get a SGP crystal clear or Ultra Crystal....its fantastic
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-26-11 at 05:00 PM.
    Innerchild likes this.
    03-26-11 03:28 PM
    If you have a case, like the iPad One case, then there is no reason to get a screen protector. These days most screens are scratch resistant, and they only thing you have to worry about is smudging.

With my old iPad, I used to throw it in bagpack, place it in precarious spots, and never had to worry about it getting scratched or damaged.

Having said that, the old iPad case did take way some of the aesthetic beauty of the iPad. That's why the new iPad sport a new less conspicuous cover that's attached magnetically.

Hopefully there will be a variety of PlayBook cases, ones that maintain the PlayBooks slim, elegant look, yet protect it from being damaged.
    03-26-11 04:34 PM
    If you have a case/cover there is no reason to get a screen protector. These days, most screens are scratch resistant, and the only thing you have to worry about is smudging.

With my old iPad, I used to throw it in my backpack, place it in precarious spots, and never had to worry about it getting scratched or damaged. I did, however, use the Official iPad case, but that was more about protecting it from dirt. Having said that, the old iPad case did take some of the aesthetic beauty away from the iPad. That's why the new iPad sports a new, less conspicuous cover that is attached magnetically

Hopefully there will be a variety of cases for the Playbook, ones that maintain the PlayBook's slim, elegant look, while protecting it form dust and dirt.

The argument against screen protectors is that they are often hard to apply, and even if you do apply them correctly, you will inevitably end up with a few air bubbles or even dirt. I assume that there are different types of screen protectors, and not all of them are applied the old fashioned way. Even newer ones, however, take away some of the screen's luster, making the screen seem grainy and unattractive. This is an important point, because the PlayBook or any tablet for that matter is not an essential device, the people that buy tablets, do so because they want a device that's lightweight, portable and provides a visually stimulating experience, while serving their needs. Otherwise, people would just stick to the smaller screens on their smart phones.

Another argument against the screen protector has to do with touch sensitivity. The PlayBook relies on touch and gestures, it has no physical buttons. There is always a risk of numbing your device's sensitivity to touch by using a screen protector. This is especially noticeable when you find yourself repeating a gesture several times, and it can be quite irritating .
    Last edited by buckyball; 03-26-11 at 05:01 PM.
    03-26-11 04:50 PM
    its not only for scratches really. It makes it super easy to clean off your greasy fingerprints that will make it look nasty in a very short time.

The proctector i meantioned is static and there is no liquid needed. Its clear as can be you can not even tell its on there at all except for the edges. They dont hinder the touch sensitivity at all either. I currently use them on 5 different devices between me and my GF. they are also great price. Generally for the phone its like $12-14 for 2 protectors and for a tablet its a little more, maybe $16-18 for one.

SGP Store - Stylish people's Good Partner
    03-26-11 04:59 PM
    I don't know why I have a double post. It seems like I mistakenly split up my post. Oh Well....
    03-26-11 05:07 PM
    The screen brightness and crispness is reduced when you have a screen protector, at least that's what I thought. Also, if the screen protector starts peeling off a little, then it will peel off more due to the swiping method of navigation. I'd say don't get a screen protector unless you care about having nicks and scratches on your PlayBook, because anything more than that will happen whether or not you have a screen protector.

Only if you get the anti-glare protector. "Crysta/Clear" takes nothing away from the screen brightness.

get a SGP crystal clear or Ultra Crystal....its fantastic
    Never heard of SGP. I do like & love Power Support(Apple products) the best. However Invisible Shield has a protector for the PB and it works well. It's more or less "crystal".
    03-26-11 05:11 PM
    i got tired of the orange peel type feel with invisible shield but i used to always use them on my devices since my palm treo and xv6700 days. I was shown the SGP last year and they have been great and easy to install
    03-26-11 05:16 PM
    SGP is good stuff. I have one on my iPhone, can't tell it's there other than the edges.
    03-26-11 05:20 PM
    My electronics are tools and I don't mind too much if they get some scratches. I have a Torch that I've dropped countless times and slide in and out of my pocket, and it still has no scratches on the screen. These things are becoming rather durable.
    03-26-11 06:04 PM
    I use the screen protector that I bought at the Crackberry store on my Storm and you can't even tell its on there. It does not hinder the touch performance at all. I can't imagine not putting something on the Playbook screen--better safe than sorry. Once you scratch the glass, its there forever.
    03-26-11 06:11 PM
    I am not going with a screen protector. Its easy for grit to get up under it after a while and will cause more scratches than I would have gotten going without a screen protector.

03-26-11 06:40 PM
    I will be putting an invisible shield on it.

Ever since 2008 I've been putting an Invisible shield on almost all my cell phones that I've gotten. It provide great protection to the screen. There have been a few times where I dropped my device or threw it in a bag full of other items that caused scratches on the screen protector, but underneath the screen is completely scratch free.

As for clarity and crispness, if applied correctly you can't even tell my device has a screen protector on it.
    03-26-11 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD