Ok. Not the sharpest tool here, but my own Playbook is working flawlessly. Just got a new one for my daughter and it sets up fine except: on screen keyboard does not pop up automatically when cursor is placed in a text/dialogue box. Any ideas? Keyboard section of settings doesn't contain any control over this option.

Thanks in advance,
    Playbook Noob (but hardcore Blackberry lover from a ways back )
    11-15-12 03:05 PM
    Mine sometimes stops behaving, either not popping up or if it does pop up it lags or doesn't type. A restart can help. Also as its new a couple of restarts and leave it running for a few hours between restarts can get it to stabilise and get all functions working. I know this is strange but it works.
    Soapstop likes this.
    11-15-12 03:18 PM
    Is it on all text fields or just in certain apps?

Is it connected to a bluetooth keyboard that she might not be using but its still connected to? I know when I'm at home and my bluetooth keyboard is upstairs but I'm in the kitchen with my PlayBook, I'll have to physically swipe the onscreen keyboard up from the lower left corner.

Have you tried a hard reset of the PlayBook? Hold down the power, volume + and volume - keys for approximately 10 seconds until the PlayBook shuts down. If it doesn't power back up within 5 seconds just push the power button.
    Soapstop likes this.
    11-15-12 03:20 PM
    Hey thanks you two. Seems to happen on all apps, BBM, testing, etc. Will try that. These are items that I usually try "de facto" on almost all my electronics. My own PB had to be hard reset because of the "glowing screen of death" but with this new one I haven't done much with. Come to think of it, after a number of days of uses and recharges, my PB has been operating very smoothly, no quirks and faster loading and longer battery run time, for that matter. Appreciate the help. Will let you know how it goes.
    11-15-12 03:57 PM
    Is it on all text fields or just in certain apps?

Is it connected to a bluetooth keyboard that she might not be using but its still connected to? I know when I'm at home and my bluetooth keyboard is upstairs but I'm in the kitchen with my PlayBook, I'll have to physically swipe the onscreen keyboard up from the lower left corner.

Have you tried a hard reset of the PlayBook? Hold down the power, volume + and volume - keys for approximately 10 seconds until the PlayBook shuts down. If it doesn't power back up within 5 seconds just push the power button.
    Right. Not only a bluetooth keyboard, but Bridge itself can "mess" up the keyboard.

Thing is, Bridge's remote control actually tell the PlayBook not to use the virtual keyboard. And when the "Open on" feature is used, Bridge is set to enable remote control. That's by default. So OP, check your Bridge options (on the phone) and see about turning remote control off when using "Open on". I know it took me a while to figure this out.
    11-15-12 06:55 PM
    If the keyboard doesn't pop up automatically, you can swipe from the bottom left corner to the middle of the screen to manually display the keyboard.
    11-15-12 07:03 PM
    This is probably not related, but why do I sometimes get the predictive text when the keyboard comes up, and other times I don't? I've seen this happen on the same web form, and found it quite odd. Sorry, noobie here.
    11-15-12 09:36 PM
    This is probably not related, but why do I sometimes get the predictive text when the keyboard comes up, and other times I don't? I've seen this happen on the same web form, and found it quite odd. Sorry, noobie here.
    That's because each field has different values for the input it receives. For example: If a field is set for email, you'll notice that a @ button will be available but you probably won't get the suggestions.

Another example is the browser. The url field will give you dedicated :, .com and / buttons but no suggestions.
    11-15-12 09:45 PM
    The developer has to identify the text field within the app so that the PlayBook knows which keyboard to display. Some apps haven't been updated to use the predictive text keyboard.

Same thing happens in BB5/6/7 with autotext. It the developer doesn't pick the right text field setting, autotext won't work.
    11-15-12 10:23 PM
    Browser was slow, keyboard will not show up sometimes and when it did it would take a couple of seconds to register after I hit a letter.
    I had to do a security swipe on mine. Wow what a difference! Everything is back to normal.
    11-15-12 10:52 PM
    Brilliant, and so simple. Thank you, much appreciated :-)
    10-05-16 03:24 PM