Hi,

I am 7 months in with my Playbook and gradually falling out of love with it.

I need some motivation to not give it to my 5 year old.

Here is why I'm losing the will to continue with it:-

OS2 arrived "everything it was meant to have" great!

Folders! At first I missed titled screens but pressed on. I put all of my games in a folder then I decided to move that folder to a screen to the right while holding to the right the the display jumped back to first screen, "Oh" I thought, try again, hang on where is the games folder?

nowhere to be seen.......and the games icons along with it. so how do I get the icons back???? reinstall them and loose all of the progress made in the games thats how.

it's OK I have a backup......plug in to blackberry desktop "you need to update this device" I though I had all of the updates......I pressed OK.....where it told me it was installing OS2 and wiped the whole thing, I lost photos and videos taken since the last backup.

Exchange email :- Worked fine for about a month then locked up by continuously trying to update and saying there was no internet connection when there was. Had to remove the blackberry balance and add it again.

As I mentioned I started using the folders feature and I put native icons like Office to go in the Work Balance folder, Same thing as the disappearing games folder all Icons in that folder have vanished as I removed the locked up exchange email account and when re-adding I only get the work browser back.

HOW DO I GET THE OFFICE TO GO ICON AND THE VIDEO ICON BACK???!!!!

New browser with OS2, can only be good, hang on my work website, where I need to login keep asking me to login after every page navigation, cookies on/off and cleared no difference it worked fine before!

1080p Video recording, worked fine before OS2 now jumps the video randomly......and records the jump.....audio records fine. Only reliable on 480p.

Whats with the Memory Bleed!! if you leave it alone, the free memory will reduce slowly so when you do jump on it and do a bit of surfing the browser or whichever app will just close mid use!

I have found that if you haven't used it for a while, check the free memory and if it isn't 500mb+ open all native apps and a load of tabs in the browser and quickly close them all this should take the free memory back up again.

BBM over bridge:- why doesn't it update read messages or handle groups ffs

I run the IT for a small company with BES express for 19 users, I am upgrading the the handsets in August but have but it off until Q4 to see what BB10 devices come out....... what's that delayed till 2013 FFS!!

I am losing the battle against apple fast the MD has just got a new iPad, after my demo of the playbook on our company website failed.

I can put my team off iPhones because they are more expensive but now the MD has an ipad I just know the iPhone will be next.

Please stop me from selling my soul.......
    07-11-12 07:29 AM
    Sorry you're having so many problems. I've made folder and they or the icons in them don't just disappear. I have heard about problems with putting all icons in folders esp on the dock. I also don't seem to have the other problems you're describing, did you just update to 2.0 or you're just now complaining about the browser? Have you done a clear all?

Don't do video recording much, no comment.

Some memory bleed but nothing drastic or a clear all or reboot doesn't clear up.

BBM will be improved in the next update along with the android player.

Good luck with whatever you do.
    07-11-12 07:42 AM
    Eventually you have to accept change and move on. I remember having people in my team who had studied NetWare and could explain in detail why it was technically superior to Windows NT's hobbled networking. I remember people who knew OS/2 (the IBM one!) was superior to Windows.

In IT you have to move with the times or take up a different career. The Playbook is still a nice toy but it's reason for being is out of date. Once an IT department has accepted they can't control all the devices their employees are using then they change approach. The BYOD model is taking over - an IT department won't be able to control what devices people use anymore. Hence the whole device security thing becomes less important.
    KermEd likes this.
    07-11-12 07:46 AM
    Eventually you have to accept change and move on. I remember having people in my team who had studied NetWare and could explain in detail why it was technically superior to Windows NT's hobbled networking. I remember people who knew OS/2 (the IBM one!) was superior to Windows.

In IT you have to move with the times or take up a different career. The Playbook is still a nice toy but it's reason for being is out of date. Once an IT department has accepted they can't control all the devices their employees are using then they change approach. The BYOD model is taking over - an IT department won't be able to control what devices people use anymore. Hence the whole device security thing becomes less important.
    Unless you're a government or an enterprise that doesn't want info stolen or leaked out. I think device security is of utmost important to them. I would also think this would include the healthcare industry with all PHI and SPI that is confidential and get them into huge trouble if information is leaked, given out or stolen.
    07-11-12 07:57 AM
    I disagree. The battle over device security has already been lost. Once you allow people to buy their own devices you cannot be responsible for all the different quirks and versions. People will be encouraged to buy their own as it saves the company (or govt department) a lot of money.

What they will do is transfer responsibility to the employee (i.e. instructions on what to and not to do) and concentrate internally on data and net security.

In these days of flashy devices I cannot see any company saying "we'll buy up 150,000 <<insert favourite brand and model here>>s, distribute and manage them and force our employees to use nothing else."
    07-11-12 08:20 AM
    I updated when it was released, but only now realised I could not use use the browser for work purposes which happened to be when I was showing the MD.

Reboot takes forever to free ram, opening up native apps is much quicker. I only really notice it if I don't use it for a day or so, constant use seems to keep it at bay.

I see how it looks like I am complaining about OS2, I don't mean too, but if only RIM held out to make it right before market maybe the critics wouldn't have killed it.

IT is only a very small part of my job and we have team members changing and having a company mobile number for communication integral.

BOYD does not fit our business, we do not need to control the devices just the means of communication, plus we give them all of the tools they need to do the job not for control but to eliminate excuses for not getting the work done.

I'm all for change if it's for the better. I do not want a debate on manufactures but I like the apple devices but hate the company, google and samsung will rule the world eventually but until then I want stability and consistency, keeping up with android is a full time job.
    The Microsoft Surface Pro, as long as they don't do a vista with W8 and the battery life is good, on paper ticks all boxes. Closely followed with a WP8 phone.

I suppose I just want my playbook to work properly and be easy to manage.

When is the next update?
    07-11-12 08:24 AM
    I disagree. The battle over device security has already been lost. Once you allow people to buy their own devices you cannot be responsible for all the different quirks and versions. People will be encouraged to buy their own as it saves the company (or govt department) a lot of money.

What they will do is transfer responsibility to the employee (i.e. instructions on what to and not to do) and concentrate internally on data and net security.

In these days of flashy devices I cannot see any company saying "we'll buy up 150,000 <<insert favourite brand and model here>>s, distribute and manage them and force our employees to use nothing else."
    That's fine and dandy. I know in the healthcare industry you will be fined and perhaps more if patient info is stolen, leaked or given away to anyone but who's job involves this information. I understand you're company may not have these risks or the risk of company information being leaked.

There are also cases where it has been shown byod saves the company nothing and even incurs higher cost.
    07-11-12 08:32 AM
    I grabbed my friends ithing that was locked and with 5 tries I guessed the password.

Most Common iPhone Passcodes | iPhone | Daniel Amitay

isecurity is a joke
    07-11-12 08:39 AM
    Security is an issue and if it's not it should be. If you have a disgruntled employee and or you have fired them, would you be fine knowing they have company info, customers, sales info, internal info etc on their personal device??

"In these days of flashy devices I cannot see any company saying "we'll buy up 150,000 <<insert favourite brand and model here>>s, distribute and manage them and force our employees to use nothing else."" A customer of ours has done that very thing! they have bought 200,000 iPads!
    07-11-12 08:42 AM
    So nobody know how to get my Native icons back?

other than restore.....
    07-13-12 04:41 AM
    That's fine and dandy. I know in the healthcare industry you will be fined and perhaps more if patient info is stolen, leaked or given away to anyone but who's job involves this information. I understand you're company may not have these risks or the risk of company information being leaked.
    I have worked in healthcare for over 20 years. The fines for not complying with HIPAA are steep. There is an answer to the security issues with BYOD. It is called encryption. It has been working quite welll actually.
    07-13-12 05:49 AM
    i havent touched my playbook in 3 months...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    07-13-12 08:44 AM
    i havent touched my playbook in 3 months...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    And the last time I did not touch mine daily was when I was camping in Yosemite and other High Sierra places and did not want to risk it stolen from the tent so did not take it on that trip and that was LAST JULY. That does not mean I don't still have issues with it.
    07-13-12 09:29 AM
    And the last time I went camping, I had everything stolen but the tent. We loaded everything in the tent and went for a day hike. When we returned that evening, the tent was empty. There was a lot of old gear that I had gathered over the years. Probably a rare occurrence but I won't go again unless I can figure out a way to secure my property.
    07-13-12 09:53 AM
    And the last time I went camping, I had everything stolen but the tent. We loaded everything in the tent and went for a day hike. When we returned that evening, the tent was empty. There was a lot of old gear that I had gathered over the years. Probably a rare occurrence but I won't go again unless I can figure out a way to secure my property.
    Omg. Seriously? That is so sad. We've gone camping and never even considered that someone would steal our stuff. Adds a new dimension to my thinking...wow. Some squirrels did get into our food once and literally took a bite out of every piece of fruit we had but that's all they took.
    07-13-12 12:00 PM
    Wow. Where was that. I have left my tent and STUFF all over and many times. Now, being a "forma" "New Yawker" I can be paranoid as h3ll! But have survived many a years car camping and being gone for a very long day. A few years back I left my tent and other gear in Yosemite for 3 days as I headed to the Nevada border to hike White Mt. No issues. But, again, somethings I just don't bring like a pb. But I did have my Kindle3 around although I went on some hikes for reading at scenic high points or lakes.

Although, I admit I'm hostile to dorms in hostels! I prefer to spend the extra for a private if not perfectly secure room.

Kindle, so happening to be showing Half Dome as the "screen blanker."
    Last edited by F2; 07-13-12 at 01:48 PM.
    07-13-12 01:42 PM
    only problem i had is with icons but i am stupid enough to run latest beta not official release so it is not rim problem.

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    07-13-12 02:03 PM
    Wow. Where was that. I have left my tent and STUFF all over and many times. Now, being a "forma" "New Yawker" I can be paranoid as h3ll! But have survived many a years car camping and being gone for a very long day.
    A private campground in Central Pennsylvania. As a former Alaskan I may be too trusting.
    25 years without incident makes me think it's not a common problem.
    07-13-12 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD