Can u root a playbook and put android OS on it, say Gingerbread?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 06:41 PM
    Can u root a playbook and put android OS on it, say Gingerbread?
    No, you can't, and it will never happen. The PlayBook like all BlackBerry devices has a locked bootloader and will not boot any OS that is not RIM approved. This is by design for security to prevent tampering with the OS to install a backdoor that could compromise sensitive corporate or government data.
    jafobabe and JR A like this.
    10-21-11 07:18 PM
    Nope.

And, even if you could, it wouldn't run without significant work... no drivers for the hardware etc.
    10-21-11 07:20 PM
    and why would you want to?
    312, JR A and FuzzyFish like this.
    10-21-11 07:55 PM
    "Can't" and "never" seem a little strong. All you have to do is crack the bootloader security and then write the necessary hardware drivers for Android.

How cool would it be to be able to run Android apps on a PlayBook... Oh wait...
    10-21-11 08:14 PM
    [QUOTE=TheScionicMan;6788161.....and then write the necessary hardware drivers for Android.[/QUOTE]

Amazone already done that for us... ;-)
    JR A likes this.
    10-21-11 09:35 PM
    it is not necessary to root PlayBook but would appreciate if someone can root the Android Player on PlayBook.
    JR A likes this.
    10-21-11 09:56 PM
    "Can't" and "never" seem a little strong. All you have to do is crack the bootloader security and then write the necessary hardware drivers for Android.

How cool would it be to be able to run Android apps on a PlayBook... Oh wait...
    Except BlackBerry security is pretty much impossible to beat. There's a reason nations like Saudi Arabia don't like RIM - because they can't snoop on the people due to BBM security.
    jafobabe likes this.
    10-21-11 11:45 PM
    Except BlackBerry security is pretty much impossible to beat. There's a reason nations like Saudi Arabia don't like RIM - because they can't snoop on the people due to BBM security.
    Beating RIM security is almost as hard as detecting sarcasm on the internet. Not easy, but not impossible...
    10-22-11 12:10 AM
    Beating RIM security is almost as hard as detecting sarcasm on the internet. Not easy, but not impossible...
    I went with never going to happen as BBOS devices have been around for more than a decade and no one has cracked the bootloader yet. I find it unlikely that will change any time soon.
    10-24-11 02:26 PM
    Code written by humans is crackable by humans.
    JR A likes this.
    10-24-11 02:42 PM
    I went with never going to happen as BBOS devices have been around for more than a decade and no one has cracked the bootloader yet. I find it unlikely that will change any time soon.
    I agree totally, its just there's a difference between unlikely and impossible.
    10-24-11 04:09 PM
    Who said it was written by humans?
    peter9477 and JR A like this.
    10-24-11 04:14 PM
    and why would you want to?
    because

Amazone already done that for us... ;-)
    I just love Amazone, gonna buy my next car and next house from them too!

Okay, now that was sarcasm, right? Oh, darn it all, it really is hard.

True that!

Wait, what are you trying to say, something like this might have already been covered before in these very forums?
    KQ17 likes this.
    10-24-11 04:21 PM
    with OS 2.0 beta you can install Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich launcher. Not exactly what you wanted but might be interesting either way
    10-24-11 04:26 PM
    Twitter
    So I can confirm the playbook has been rooted and I will be releasing an installer for it i a week
    I'm a cynical sort, so i'll believe it when i see it, though his website details how he rooted the simulator.

I was actually wondering if the adobe exploit they patched up in the latest updat could have been used to root it when i found this
    11-26-11 11:32 AM
    I'm sure it can be rooted, but it will take time and effort. Right now playbook just isn't worth the developer effort and attention for them to spend time rooting it when they can play with much better android devices. It could prove to be an interesting exercise though.
    I bought 2 playbooks, and after playing around and testing with one unit, I'm probably going to return both of them and buy another Kindle Fire (I bought a Kindle fire, it feels like a much higher quality machine than the Playbook, also very rootable). Sure the hardware is great, but it's the software and eco-system that makes it count . The App World is pretty barren and RIM is going down the drain. They're still turning a profit, but losing marketshare (and stock value) fast. There's a reason why android's marketshare has been climbing and RIM's marketshare has been falling: Android's doing something right and RIM's doing it wrong.
    11-27-11 03:07 PM
    No, you can't, and it will never happen. The PlayBook like all BlackBerry devices has a locked bootloader and will not boot any OS that is not RIM approved. This is by design for security to prevent tampering with the OS to install a backdoor that could compromise sensitive corporate or government data.
    This is why even the Government uses Blackberrys and Playbooks, only they have the security required.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-27-11 03:16 PM
    You are ALL wrong @cmwdotme just announced a couple of days ago that he has a root available. It will be released within the week. Who knows what will be possible then. The root he is naming DingleBerry.

Oh and a good reason to root it would be to get native email without using Bridge.

Also I plan on porting the aircrack suite to the PlayBook and adding 1 extra functionality, the ability to constantly disconnect all Apple devices from a wifi AP.
    Last edited by HuXu7; 11-27-11 at 04:41 PM.
    11-27-11 04:39 PM
    This is why even the Government uses Blackberrys and Playbooks, only they have the security required.
    And even that specific dogma is changing.
    11-27-11 04:50 PM
    Oh and a good reason to root it would be to get native email without using Bridge.
    And how will rooting accomplish that?
    11-27-11 05:18 PM
    You are ALL wrong @cmwdotme just announced a couple of days ago that he has a root available. It will be released within the week. Who knows what will be possible then. The root he is naming DingleBerry.

Also I plan on porting the aircrack suite to the PlayBook and adding 1 extra functionality, the ability to constantly disconnect all Apple devices from a wifi AP.
    Yea, ok. 1 post of troll bait.
    11-27-11 05:24 PM
    11-27-11 06:44 PM
    Now I like Lucas, BUT The Title is misleading, The PlayBook SIMULATOR has been Rooted, with an emulated x86 QNX6,

Until it is proven on the hardware, it isn't so
    11-27-11 07:32 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD