Installed it. opened it, crashed, uninstalled it, checked with Ghost Commander to see if it was uninstalled, it was. No bricking, slowing down, or anything.
    Thanks a lot. It's still stuck in crashed state for me and for probably for another user who has posted a review on the app. Pardon my ignorance but no idea what Ghost Commander is. You could save me a lot of google time. Can't uninstall or delete it. Any other option other than wiping my device to factory state?
    Did it install the app described on the app page or some other app?
    Thanks again.
    03-02-13 05:59 PM
    You should do your homework before throwing around terms like "virus." What you found was a crappy port of some garbage Android app. Nothing that can't be cleared up with a little technical know-how and an Android-specific file manager like ghost commander or es file explorer.

Of course, if your intention was to troll the forum by crying "virus," then... :-P

RCK

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    Not every one is as knowledgeable as you bro. I have never ported or have any desire to port any app from android app world, neither do i possess the technical know how to do so.
    Sorry but Ghost Commander and es file explorer is all greek to me. I didn't know all this homework was important before buying a tablet!
    Sorry for "throwing" the term virus. I download XE.com from the Blackberry World. The page had screenshots of XE.com app. An app called Geometrics is installed instead which has no connection whatsoever with currency conversion.
    It freezes my tablet and won't uninstall or delete. Read other reviews on the app and they experienced the same.
    From my limited experience that's a typical malware, spyware or virus behaviour.
    Nevertheless what i can do is do a factory reset on my PB and report this matter to the official XE team that someone is pushing junk by using their official logo, desciptions and screenshots, hoping that there is someone sane there to sort this out by taking action against this scamster.

Though i still don't understand why I am being subjected to - "crappy ports of some garbage Android apps" - on the Blackberry OS. If I was interested in crappy apps over security i would have ported to android long ago.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-02-13 06:26 PM
    Download Ghost Commander from Appworld. Run it. On either column go up a level or levels till you see Applications. Tap it. Find the 'bad' one and delete it.
    E10CDM likes this.
    03-02-13 07:37 PM
    It's a pos android port and can't really do anything to the actual kernel. Most of these crappy ports have issues. Still waiting for a virus on a QNX kernel sigh. Get my hopes up and crushed it with poor wording and lack of understanding
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    03-03-13 03:06 AM
    I understand your frustration, and I'm not happy at all that this happen to you, hope you fix that problem soon.

I just feel that this kind of comments, may (unintentionally) harm our community. You know BlackBerry is in the middle of a really hard race here, and the competition is looking for comments exactly like this to make really harmful media.

Best regards !
    03-03-13 06:31 AM
    It's a pos android port and can't really do anything to the actual kernel. Most of these crappy ports have issues. Still waiting for a virus on a QNX kernel sigh. Get my hopes up and crushed it with poor wording and lack of understanding
    maybe you haven't found one because you are looking at a virus in the traditional way wich would be methods used to hack pcs, but if you realy think about it the app permissions its all someone need to have your info take screenshots of your pb and even your location. this are all key things any hacker could use to cause damage.

I for one installed an app from a chinesse developer (let's say asian) I gave it the permissions it asked for and turned out to be all in chinesse so unisntalled. month later got one of the app managers and noticed a somewhat familiar app that I had supposedly deleted.
    03-03-13 06:53 AM
    Thanks a lot. It's still stuck in crashed state for me and for probably for another user who has posted a review on the app. Pardon my ignorance but no idea what Ghost Commander is. You could save me a lot of google time. Can't uninstall or delete it. Any other option other than wiping my device to factory state?
    Did it install the app described on the app page or some other app?
    Thanks again.
    Ghost Commander is an Android file manager that comes with an app manager, you can find it in App World, also I uninstalled it just like any other app(long press and then touch the thrash can)
    03-03-13 07:43 AM
    F2 recommended using an android specific app called Ghost Commander from the App World to remove this rogue app. Ghost Commander did manage to uninstall it but the app reinstalls itself and Ghost Commander recognizes this behaviour and shows an alert (attached the screenshot of the alert with this post).

Managed to find instructions here on CB on how to wipe my playbook clean. Reloaded the OS and the updated it to the latest v2.1.0.1526. Everything is working fine. Thank you to all my fellow CB members who tested this and helped me with this.

I understand that some members are objecting to the use of the word "Virus" in the title of this thread. I have requested the moderator on this thread - naviwilliams - to substitute the word "Virus" with the term "Rogue App" in the title of this thread.
    The purpose of this thread was to alert Blackberry users to steer clear from this particular app.
    Some members here feel that there is nothing wrong if a developer is using the logos and screenshots of XE.com and that this thread is a troll and should not exist. To those members: you are most welcome to report this thread to the moderators and have it deleted.

Have reported this to the original owners of XE.com at their addresses:
    [email protected]
    [email protected].

Thankyou qbnkelt for reporting this to the CB Team (should have done this myself) and to OScar_E for reporting it to the official BBRY Team.
    Attached Thumbnails A 'rogue app' in Blackberry World shown as a Top Free App!-img_00000037.jpg  
    03-03-13 07:47 AM
    Googling and translating the fischerklasgmail and geometrics turns up this link (safe, I believe) about a graphing/graphics program:

Google Translate
    03-03-13 09:15 AM
    I just checked BlackBerry World and the XE app is gone from top paid. I can't find it doing a search either. A thank you to the OP for raising the alarm and all the others for reporting the rogue app to the folks that can take it down.

BlackBerry is indeed proving it takes security and the customer experience seriously. There will always be people out there looking to cheat and hack, but the vigilance and action from this CB community ensures these occurrences will be rare.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-03-13 10:12 AM
    wasnt it listed as top free as thats where i see it still
    03-03-13 10:25 AM
    I just checked BlackBerry World and the XE app is gone from top paid. I can't find it doing a search either. A thank you to the OP for raising the alarm and all the others for reporting the rogue app to the folks that can take it down.

BlackBerry is indeed proving it takes security and the customer experience seriously. There will always be people out there looking to cheat and hack, but the vigilance and action from this CB community ensures these occurrences will be rare.
    If you search currency it'll come up. That's how I found it as it wasn't in the top free list anymore.
    03-03-13 10:33 AM
    im checking and it's still listed as top free
    03-03-13 11:16 AM
    It's not in top free apps nor is it listed when searching on "currency".
    03-03-13 12:20 PM
    Does anybody know if a ported Android app can be titled with "for BlackBerry PlayBook" in it? ie. it would be a native app if it is allowed to have that as part of the app title.
    Of all of the apps listed (I get 64) when searching 'currency' , there are 3 free apps and 2 paid apps with that in the title and all have 4+ review stars.
    03-03-13 01:01 PM
    If you search currency it'll come up. That's how I found it as it wasn't in the top free list anymore.
    Nope, still could not find it by typing in "currency" as my search term. I had tried that search term earlier and did not get the XE app showing up then either.

Does BlackBerry World always refresh to the current offerings or is there some caching going on? Also, the region selected may have an impact in that I have read some apps are available in some regions and not others. The app showed up in my top apps yesterday but not today, but I am in Canada. It may still show up in the BB World store elsewhere so perhaps a note should be made of what region the search is being done in so BB can take down the app from those regional stores too.
    03-03-13 01:16 PM
    Not to be mean or anything...

but this is the problem with apps.

you can do currency conversion using the browser NO PROBLEM. You download an app and everything messes up.
    03-03-13 01:52 PM
    Download Ghost Commander from Appworld. Run it. On either column go up a level or levels till you see Applications. Tap it. Find the 'bad' one and delete it.
    after you do this, i would recommend a complete wipe,,, there are reports that android ports leave alot of junk after uninstall,,, i know it'll be a hassle getting everything back the way you had it set up but maybe if you have a recent backup you'll save some tooth grinding,,, & i'm w/ you Kishore, i NEVER go near any app not BBRY,,, hope all works out for ya...

just saw you got it sorted out,,, cool...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 03-03-13 at 06:07 PM.
    03-03-13 04:52 PM
    Your browser works ? Why not just bkmrk this webpage http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exc...ily-converter/

and use, vs questionable app(s) ?!

imho

nite
    03-03-13 11:30 PM
44 12