Can someone please explain to me why the PB OS is getting updates if in 6 to 7 months it will be updated to BB10? To me it looks like a waste of money and manpower. Why not focus all the available manpower on BB10. That is unless a huge part of OS2 is reused for BB10. But if that's the case I'm worried because there are so many minor and major issues with the PB OS that to me it seems impossible to solve in a few months. I really would like to see in RIM's kitchen to see where they are, I am just sooooooo curious. By the way, I find the updates good for the consumers, but I don't understand the relationship with these updates and BB10. I'm willing to use the PB as it is now if BB10 was released sooner or more complete/perfect.

Have a nice day
    06-11-12 02:06 AM
    To keep us entertained?
    Jamaicangirl81 and JeepBB like this.
    06-11-12 02:39 AM
    People are still using the playbook, people are still buying them. If they choose not to update the current os with bug fixes and performance improvements, more functionallity people would be rather disappointed, annoyed with the lack of support.

I assume all the current updates could come as a result of the BB10 development and are being implemented simply to improve peoples experience on the playbook.

I guess any updates they release are also vetted to not reveal too much of BB10 before its release. They are still keeping as much about BB10 to their chest as possible

Plus its also a way for them to test and get feedback on some aspects of the OS before its official release

My thoughts anyway
    06-11-12 02:56 AM
    BB10 is an extension of OS2. It is built on the same basic OS (QNX) and will have most of the same inards. They are refreshing the UI with Cascades and making more of the functionality native (such as the messaging components) from he original AIR based ones that were built to get the platform out the door. It's not a completely new OS so improvements in OS2 in most areas (except for the components that will be native in BB10) will survive. If RIM dropped support and enhancements for the PlayBook nobody would trust them that the first BB10 devices would be around for long either. Certainly not their most ardent fans (PlayBook owners for the most part).
    06-11-12 03:20 AM
    Most of the updates will be used in bb10. Updated email, Android player, browser ect. These are are being updated and maybe updated again. Good software takes time.
    06-11-12 03:32 AM
    Wouldn't it be an even bigger waste of manpower and money if they just dumped all the work they've been doing on updates to PBOS 2 in order to focus on BB10 for the PlayBook? The updates in OS 2 will likely be incorporated into BB10 for the PlayBook, so it's not a waste of time and money.
    BB_Bmore, PatrickMJS and Puddin13 like this.
    06-11-12 04:11 AM
    Wouldn't it be an even bigger waste of manpower and money if they just dumped all the work they've been doing on updates to PBOS 2 in order to focus on BB10 for the PlayBook? The updates in OS 2 will likely be incorporated into BB10 for othe PlayBook, so it's not a waste of time and money.

Some people have liked this comment; however, something only becomes waste if you know in advance that it is discontinued. So my, question is what the relationship between the updates and BB10, and how much is RIM holding back. Helis4life suggests that "any updates they release are also vetted to not reveal too much of BB10 before its release. They are still keeping as much about BB10 to their chest as possible. However that is sort of in contrast with the idea of the PB OS being a try out for BB10. I wish someone at RIM could tell us where they are in the process. For example, the contacts app is really cool,but it lacks an import function from the phone OS contacts app. People who migrate from the old OS to the new OS (BB10) will need that function. Why would RIM hold back? That kind of functionality is independent of Cascades or whatever UI. Similarly the filebrowser doesn't support subdirectories which is quite inconvenient if you have to browse through 200+ photos in InstaPhoto to find the one you're looking for. Solving that is less critical, but also works on a lower level than the UI. So it could be reused in BB10.
    What's the point in holding back there, I can understand that RIM wants to keep certain apps until the big release, but I don't see why they withhold critical functionality.

I love to hear your (informed) opinion about this.
    06-11-12 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD