I had bluetooth problems with my Playbook. RIM support was very good and ultimately, after a repair did not resolve the issue, sent me another one. I don't know if it's new or refurb'd, I'm guessing the latter, but the new one exhibits the same bluetooth issue AND has what I'd call a large example of the Playbook Bulge on the back.

I guess this confirms that the Playbook does not play nice with many BT peripherals. So assuming both Playbooks are functionally similar, should I send back the bulgy "new" Playbook or send back my old one, that's already been cracked open once by RIM's tech crew in Tennessee but is virtually perfectly flat on the back?

Even if the bulge is harmless, as I think the forums have concluded, it's ugly and feels crappy. Feels like the case does not properly fit the device. On the other hand the new one has a newer serial number and even if it is a refurb it's probably seen far less use than mine. I'm torn. What's the answer? Thanks for all input.

Dave
    ralfyguy likes this.
    04-17-12 06:18 PM
    What is your BT issue?

And a bulge that makes the device wobbly is UNacceptable.
    04-17-12 09:34 PM
    My second replacement ended up to be just like yours, but it is one finally better in light leak in LCD and dead pixels. I can live with the bulge I think..... I popped it open to try to push it down, it just pops right back out. I even put lifting weights on it for a couple of hours, pops right back out as soon as I took it off... sigh.....
    04-17-12 10:22 PM
    Hi F2 -- I've had two different bluetooth keyboards and a mouse. All three devices would pair with the Playbook but the connection repeatedly drops then re-pair after a 30 second break. This happens every minute or so but at no clear or regular intervals. None of these three are particularly great quality but all work fine with, for instance, my Bold 9900. They don't work well with either Playbook, but strangely seem a little better on my wife's 16G PB.

I don't know what to make of the bulge on the new PB. I see 4 options: return it to RIM and demand a non-bulging replacement; accept it and return my old PB; return it to RIM and keep the old one, or return both and demand they make bluetooth work.

Dave
    04-17-12 10:26 PM
    I hesitate to suggest this - but there is a thread where someone used a hair dryer to apply neat to the area of the bulge and pressed it back into position. His follow up report a few weeks later said the bulge did not return. Lots of back and forth on whether this would wreck the pb, too much heat, etc.
    04-18-12 12:09 AM
    I'll send back the replacement. The dead pixel decides it. I saw that thread on heating and pressing-out the bulge but that seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Thanks for your thoughts!

Dave
    04-18-12 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD