There has been some questions raised in some other threads about the RMA process. Since I am currently going through that process, I thought I would describe the process as I go through it in as much detail as possible to help other who may have to go through the process.

I pre-ordered my PlayBook from Staples on the first day it was available for pre-order and received it a day or so after launch day. It's worked nearly perfectly for me since that time and, honestly, I really like it. On Friday morning I was shooting some sport related video and noticed a short horizontal red line going through the middle of my screen. By the time I had finished shooting the red line ran horizontally across the entirely screen about a 1/3 of the way from the top of the screen. I knew it wasn't an LCD problem since it only appeared in the camera window and shrank when I minimized the camera and disappeared when I closed the camera. It only appeared on the back facing camera screen and not the front facing camera screen. I thought it might be a hardware problem since it only affected the rear camera. A couple of hard reboots did not cure the line but I did notice that the line appear much lighter in high ISO (low light) conditions and was very bright in low ISO (bright light conditions).

At lunch time on Friday, I called the support line. The woman on the support line took my information asked some questions then assigned me a case number and then transferred me to someone in technical support. I described the problem and the technician had me take a photo and e-mail it to him. After reviewing it with a analyst, the technician stated that the analyst felt it looked more like a software problem and asked me to use the desktop manager to reload the OS. Since I was away from my home computer I told him I would do it when I got home from work. He informed me that the support line was open 24-7 and that if he wasn't available then someone else could help me.

I got home that Friday night and backed up my PlayBook (I backed up media files and settings but app data would not back up). I then used DM to reload the OS. After a reload and reboot, I turned on the camera and I still had the red line.

I called support again on Friday night but this time with my case number and was transferred to a technician. After discussing the lack of results from reloading the OS, the technician agreed to RMA the unit and e-mailed me terms and conditions which I had the reply to saying that "I accept." Once I accepted the terms and conditions he put the RMA through but told me that it would take a few hours to get the RMA forms by e-mail. Later that night I received an e-mail from RIM with a PDF version of the RMA form. He also told me that the return material would be sent to me an hshould arrive within 2 business days after which it would take about 5 days after receipt of the unit to finish repairs.

Today (Tuesday), I received an box from RIM in which to return the Playbook. The box is small and comes with a foam insert plus a foam top to protect the PlayBook. It also comes with a plastic bag in which to put the PB. The paper in the box included instructions, terms and conditions, a form on which to describe the problem, and instruction under the lid of the box on how to pack it.

I inserted the PB into the plastic bag then folder over the end and inserted the plastic covered PB into the main foam insert in the box then covered it with the foam lid. The instructions asked me to print out the RMA form from the e-mail and include it in the box so I did. I also filled out and included the form on which to describe the problem and also included the battery hazard disclosure form they provided. I closed the box and sealed it with a piece of tape they included which stated: examine contents if seal is broken. I then attached the included mailing label over the old label. I also taped the seams of the box with some packing tape.

I will be dropping the box off at a Fedex center tomorrow (RIM prepaid for priority overnight) for its destination at the repair center in Tennessee. I am told it will take business 5 days for the center to review and repair the PB. So I am crossing my fingers hoping that the PB comes back soon.

I will periodically update this thread with information about where the RMA process is. I wanted to get an extra PB with the Staples in store $100 off coupon while I am waiting for the repair but no Staples near me carries the 64 gb they only carry the 16 gb models.
    Last edited by kyopo; 07-27-11 at 01:09 AM.
    07-27-11 01:06 AM
    Good luck, hope things work out well for you.
    07-28-11 10:07 AM
    i just brought mine to fed ex today, so i guess we can race to see which one comes back first
    07-28-11 11:58 AM
    There has been some questions raised in some other threads about the RMA process. Since I am currently going through that process, I thought I would describe the process as I go through it in as much detail as possible to help other who may have to go through the process.

I pre-ordered my PlayBook from Staples on the first day it was available for pre-order and received it a day or so after launch day. It's worked nearly perfectly for me since that time and, honestly, I really like it. On Friday morning I was shooting some sport related video and noticed a short horizontal red line going through the middle of my screen. By the time I had finished shooting the red line ran horizontally across the entirely screen about a 1/3 of the way from the top of the screen. I knew it wasn't an LCD problem since it only appeared in the camera window and shrank when I minimized the camera and disappeared when I closed the camera. It only appeared on the back facing camera screen and not the front facing camera screen. I thought it might be a hardware problem since it only affected the rear camera. A couple of hard reboots did not cure the line but I did notice that the line appear much lighter in high ISO (low light) conditions and was very bright in low ISO (bright light conditions).

---[snip]---

I got home that Friday night and backed up my PlayBook (I backed up media files and settings but app data would not back up). I then used DM to reload the OS. After a reload and reboot, I turned on the camera and I still had the red line.
    I'm surprised they didn't have you do a screenshot of it - if it shows in the screenshot, it's likely software, but if it doesn't, it's likely hardware....

---[snip]---
    me that the return material would be sent to me an hshould arrive within 2 business days after which it would take about 5 days after receipt of the unit to finish repairs.

Today (Tuesday), I received an box from RIM in which to return the Playbook. The box is small and comes with a foam insert plus a foam top to protect the PlayBook. It also comes with a plastic bag in which to put the PB. The paper in the box included instructions, terms and conditions, a form on which to describe the problem, and instruction under the lid of the box on how to pack it.
    Plastic bag? I don't recall having one in my RMA kit... (Smakberry flashback...)

---[snip]---
    tape they included which stated: examine contents if seal is broken. I then attached the included mailing label over the old label. I also taped the seams of the box with some packing tape.

I will be dropping the box off at a Fedex center tomorrow (RIM prepaid for priority overnight) for its destination at the repair center in Tennessee. I am told it will take business 5 days for the center to review and repair the PB. So I am crossing my fingers hoping that the PB comes back soon.
    I think mine went out on Saturday (missed the Friday pickup) and I had it back Wed. Very speedy. If only they hadn't introduced light leak when they reassembled it. (The work on the power button was nicely done.) I hope yours comes back quickly and in perfect order... (And may your withdrawal symptoms be mild.)

I will periodically update this thread with information about where the RMA process is. I wanted to get an extra PB with the Staples in store $100 off coupon while I am waiting for the repair but no Staples near me carries the 64 gb they only carry the 16 gb models.
    Try talking to a manager - I've had one bend the rules.
    07-28-11 01:35 PM
    Hopefully all goes well with your RMA and you don't go through the same nightmare I did.

My RMA box did not contain a plastic bag, I took it upon myself to put it in a bag so that the particles from the packing material didn't get into the speakers.
    07-30-11 02:47 PM
    I had an RMA for a PlayBook as well.

I had a wifi/bluetooth chip failure after using my 16GB PlayBook for only 1.5 days.

The box contained everything the OP described including the plastic bag.

The thing that took the longest for me was to get them to give me a RMA.
    It took 3 different phone calls over a few days to diagnose the problem and get RMA approval.

I sent it to the repair facility in TN as well. It was picked up in the GTA on Thursday July 14th, arrived in TN on the 15th. They sent it back on Monday the 18th and it was back in my hands on the 19th.

They sent me a brand new unit as well.

Happy with the turnaround time but really disappointed with how long in took to get the RMA.

Satisfied overall though.

Hope yours goes as smooth.
    07-30-11 03:02 PM
    I dropped off the package at a Fedex location on Wednesday around 11 am and it was confirmed as delivered on Thursday at 9:30 am. I am having an issue checking the status of the RMA though. The link they sent me to check RMA status requires that you validate your PlayBook serial number and since it thinks the PlayBook is out of the 90 day complimentary support period, it doesn't allow me to access the site. I had to call support on Friday and have them reset the support period to allow me to access the site to confirm that the repair was in process. However, a day later the website has gone back to telling me that I don't have complimentary support for my PlayBook and therefore not allowing me to check status of the RMA. This is super annoying.
    07-31-11 07:35 PM
    Yeah, their whole RMA documentation process is seriously messed up. Even after I got my unit back it still said they'd sent me the box to ship it in! I never got a call or email or anything. It just landed. Even the tech I'd been dealing with was saying that it wasn't showing up properly in his system.
    08-01-11 03:41 PM
    I called the support line again and they reactivated my complimentary support so I could check the status of the RMA (I should have support already since I got the extended support with accidental damage insurance but I will resolve that issue later). They had fixed my playbook and shipped it back to me on Friday and I received it via Fedex today. Of course I received no e-mail notice about this. Anyway, the playbook is back and I am currently restoring my 30 gb back up. I haven't tested the camera out yet. The unit appears to be the same unit as I sent in since it has the same serial number. In addition to the camera, they also totally fixed my power button even though I didn't even complain about it or say anything about it. It was close to flush but is now significantly raised and is much easier to use. I will update on the camera issue as soon as I am done restoring. Also as an aside they sent it back to me with Spanish as the language so I had to update and go through set up in Spanish then change back to English.
    08-01-11 10:03 PM
    Good! I hope it's a very healthy, happy PB.

I know I was told (sent mine in for PB) that they would check everything out before sending back.
    08-01-11 10:27 PM
    Camera is fixed. The red line is gone. So the process took about a week. I'd give RIM an A for speed of repair and quality of repair (they even repaired stuff I didn't ask to be repaired like the power button). But I'd give them an F for communication.
    08-02-11 03:39 AM
    Happy to hear you have your unit back. Enjoy :-)
    08-02-11 04:27 AM
    Camera is fixed. The red line is gone. So the process took about a week. I'd give RIM an A for speed of repair and quality of repair (they even repaired stuff I didn't ask to be repaired like the power button). But I'd give them an F for communication.
    I had similar experience. 'A' for speed and turn around time. 'B-' for the rest. But they got the job done. My problem (power button) fixed. So no complaints. In fact I'd say the experience wasnt bad at all.
    08-15-11 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD