I keep asking myself these questions all the time, trying to figure out why tablets are coming out.

Apple made the iPad why? Because they make entertainment devices and wanted to make a bigger entertainment device.

RIM is making a tablet why? Because RIM creates business devices and is making a bigger business device.

Here's to hoping it will have a blazing fast browser and so many productivity options that we'll use it as much as we do our BB's. Nice media player wouldn't be bad either
    09-21-10 06:13 PM
    I think the android tablet is the best one out of all of them.
    09-21-10 06:35 PM
    The notebook is DYING, netbooks are a$$.

tablets are the next thing for the on the go business person.

you are right Apple did it for media, and RIM will do it for communications.. and hopefully media!
    09-21-10 06:38 PM
    My guess is that most will complain that the tablet doesn't have the "greatest specs" when its announced. Like the QNX purchase most wont see the forest through the trees.

Take a look at QNX's dominate postion within the embedded market over their mobile competition and what its used for and you'll get an idea of the market RIM will be going after.

Take the health care sector. You could use an Ipad in the hospital;You could use a QNX powered tablet. Which OS has the dominate position in that industry? QNX. Its likely to run the medical equipment, the security system, the HVAC system and its controls, etc. All of these can have a QNX powered tablet easily integrated into existing products and services.

You can follow that train of thought across pretty much any industry.
    09-21-10 06:57 PM
    ...or a nuclear reactor monitor. QNX makes those too.
    09-21-10 07:01 PM

you are right Apple did it for media, and RIM will do it for communications.. and hopefully media!
    There are a lot of apps for the iPad that are business related. I have several clients who now choose to exclusively use their iPads instead of their laptops when traveling around town meeting with clients. With the device tied into the Enterprise email server, they have all of their email which is much easier to navigate then on a BB, their calendar, contacts, docs they work on, etc. Plus they have an amazing web browser that puts even some Android devices to shame. Coupled with the screen and business apps tailored to their industry, it makes their iPads about 4 times better then what they could do with the iPhone (due to screen size).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 07:27 PM
    I think the 1st gen R.I.M tab has fail written all over it....new Os on big screen with old hardware = headache for user....
    09-21-10 08:18 PM
    My guess is that most will complain that the tablet doesn't have the "greatest specs" when its announced. Like the QNX purchase most wont see the forest through the trees.

Take a look at QNX's dominate postion within the embedded market over their mobile competition and what its used for and you'll get an idea of the market RIM will be going after.

Take the health care sector. You could use an Ipad in the hospital;You could use a QNX powered tablet. Which OS has the dominate position in that industry? QNX. Its likely to run the medical equipment, the security system, the HVAC system and its controls, etc. All of these can have a QNX powered tablet easily integrated into existing products and services.

You can follow that train of thought across pretty much any industry.
    i have first hand info that you can't use an ipad in the hospital..
    first, you can't install anything on the ipad that is not APP..
    my brother is an MD and they use Citrix for medical records, notes, medications, etc etc.. and he can't install it on any ipad..
    not to mention EMR
    another thing is the 10 hr battery life..
    my brother goes on call for > 24 hours, he needs one that is handy and battery swappable since he's doing rounds,, running into the Emergenc Dept etc etc.. he can't be tied down to a AC socket charging.
    the lack for USB and any port made it pointless.. unless you really want to play angry birds or plants vs zombies while seeing patients.

YES, you may use the ipad as a personal device while in a hospital
    09-21-10 08:36 PM
    ...or a nuclear reactor monitor. QNX makes those too.
    FWIW QNX real time operating system is used in a robotics product called Cobotics which is owned by Stanley now.... Its a one of kind machine which falls under the Intelligent Assist Devices used in the manufacturing industry.

Stanley Assembly Technologies - Enhancing Human Ability with Intelligent Motion Control
    09-21-10 09:21 PM
    first, you can't install anything on the ipad that is not APP..
    Do you mean we can't install "what's not in App Store" into iPad? If that's what you mean, I believe once an iDevice is "tied" into Apple Enterprise thingy, you can push any apps, including not in App Store

my brother is an MD and they use Citrix for medical records, notes, medications, etc etc.. and he can't install it on any ipad..
    not to mention EMR
    As above. This means iDevices are not really suitable for "Employee Liable Device". Either owned by work with all work supplied apps, or your own but cannot run work apps.

another thing is the 10 hr battery life..
    my brother goes on call for > 24 hours, he needs one that is handy and battery swappable since he's doing rounds,, running into the Emergenc Dept etc etc.. he can't be tied down to a AC socket charging.
    Totally agree. I always have at least two batteries with every phone I have. Instead of charging the phone, I just swap batteries. There is nothing more embarassing than "Excume me Board of Directors, where can I plug my phone in this conference room?" I really hate iPad for the lack of removable batteries.

My boss has approved my request to "use the work-supplied iPad until more suitable tablet becomes available in the market", so I really hope BlackBerry tablet is not a flop.
    09-21-10 09:43 PM
    What one hospital or one company chooses to do with technology mandates and regulations is their own business. This doesn't mean that others aren't employing the technology as they see fit, it just means that some places are slower to change then others.

Seems kind of silly that they aren't a bit more open minded, especially since they use Citrix on the server/app farm. Citrix Systems � Virtual desktops and virtual applications -Citrix Receiver for iPad
    09-21-10 11:55 PM
    When the iPad gets OS 4.2, you will be able to remotely manage, monitor and maintain devices with an Apple Mobile Management Server (which you can get for $999 with unlimited licenses via a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard Server) which will allow you to push apps from the server to the devices directly. You can also lock down the iPad and enforce security on it. Apple will start pushing this hard to business when it comes out in November. They already have iPad business profiles on their site and a document about the new functions that 4.2 will allow businesses. They want to maintain dominance in the tablet market and that will mean business adoption, plus since the iPad and iPhone run the same OS they will try to convince these same businesses to use the iPhone too. They have a brilliant strategy right now, push the iPod into peoples hands, then to iPhones and iPads, and then have features in OS X and OS X server to try to get them on Mac desktops and servers.
    09-22-10 07:31 AM
    When the iPad gets OS 4.2, you will be able to remotely manage, monitor and maintain devices with an Apple Mobile Management Server (which you can get for $999 with unlimited licenses via a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard Server) which will allow you to push apps from the server to the devices directly. You can also lock down the iPad and enforce security on it. Apple will start pushing this hard to business when it comes out in November. They already have iPad business profiles on their site and a document about the new functions that 4.2 will allow businesses. They want to maintain dominance in the tablet market and that will mean business adoption, plus since the iPad and iPhone run the same OS they will try to convince these same businesses to use the iPhone too. They have a brilliant strategy right now, push the iPod into peoples hands, then to iPhones and iPads, and then have features in OS X and OS X server to try to get them on Mac desktops and servers.
    My company won't allow anything from Apple connect to its servers. They already contacted RIM about the upcoming tablet.
    09-22-10 05:07 PM
    My company won't allow anything from Apple connect to its servers. They already contacted RIM about the upcoming tablet.
    And....spill the beans....what did RIM say?
    09-22-10 08:03 PM
    And....spill the beans....what did RIM say?
    "RIM does not discuss rumoured or upcoming products..."?
    09-22-10 09:34 PM
    My company won't allow anything from Apple connect to its servers.
    Sooner or later.... most companies will.... if they want to remain productive, they will need to diversify their technology choices.
    09-22-10 10:55 PM
    How or where wil RIM sell there Blackpad, or Surfbook?
    09-22-10 11:15 PM
    The real value to me would be remote access. That said, the iPhone is incredibly far ahead of my BB in speed and number of remote desktop apps to chose from. It really is an eye opener how much better remote access is on that ridiculous iToy phone. It's like i7 vs 8088. I would be well and truly shocked if RIM brings a tablet with remote access even remotely comparable to the iPad any time soon.
    09-23-10 01:00 AM

I do not know the kind of on the go business man you are, but I most certainly could not travel with a tablet and not notebook, even a netbook is good only for 2-3 days of travel, the backlog of real work after that requires a full PC/Notebook,

I see the tablet as being a great replacement for the netbook, but neither is a replacement for a full notebook.
    09-23-10 01:11 AM
    i think your question can be applied to all tablets.

tablet pcs have much more functionality and are actually computers, and are only a bout 700 dollars more. iono why you would just get a tablet when you can get a tablet pc. maybe ppl cant afford 1200? but it still doesnt make sense because we all need laptops, and that tablet pc doubles up.
    09-23-10 01:56 AM
    I really don't see the advantage of a tablet over a laptop, or even a netbook?
    aside from just having another piece for holding music, pictures, games , movies, etc.
    Nothing will beat a full size laptop for doing REAL work on the road or traveling between jobs or offices, there is no comparison!
    And if you have space to hide a tablet, you have space to hide a small laptop or netbook.
    Tablets are toys, and nothing more, imho!
    09-23-10 09:17 PM
    well a 7" tablet can go anywhere as it's the perfect size to drop into a purse or glove compartment or somewhere. and sometimes people just want a little bit bigger screen in order to view complex websites easier or to watch movies without too much squinting.
    It may not replace a notebook/netbook, but you will more likely have it on you.
    heck, it will fit in the pockets of some of my jeans.
    09-23-10 10:10 PM
    I do not know the kind of on the go business man you are, but I most certainly could not travel with a tablet and not notebook, even a netbook is good only for 2-3 days of travel, the backlog of real work after that requires a full PC/Notebook,

I see the tablet as being a great replacement for the netbook, but neither is a replacement for a full notebook.
    For real.................OR until the "power" of a notebook is applied to the tablet.
    09-23-10 10:22 PM
    the nicest thing about a tablet is the fact that it boots up in seconds. that's the main reason why some of our employees who are constantly on the road/in meetings are pushing for one.

even a laptop that is hibernated will take a few mins to boot up and get connected via 3G.

ipad is up and running in <1min
    09-23-10 10:33 PM
    the nicest thing about a tablet is the fact that it boots up in seconds. that's the main reason why some of our employees who are constantly on the road/in meetings are pushing for one.

even a laptop that is hibernated will take a few mins to boot up and get connected via 3G.

ipad is up and running in <1min
    the Ipad is a BIG ipod touch. that's it.
    the absence of USB makes it a joke.. if i want 3G i'm stuck with AT&T since i can't use a prepaid Virgin Mobile 3G USB adapter or even subscribe to another carrier like Verizon.
    if my officemate wants me to view the file/video that he has on his thumb drive.. guess what? i can't in my Ipad.
    and the absence of a swappable battery..
    and don't get me started on not being able to install programs that are not from the App store.. ( something that a 300 ee PC netbook can do)
    these are issues that i am hoping RIM answers in the Surfbook

one thing that the iPad is good for? plants vs zombies... and angry birds!
    09-23-10 10:41 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD