My job takes me in strange directions, which today included a tweet from Janis Ian, a marvellous lady who had some hit songs in the '70s and has gone on to a successful career in music. Janis found interesting an interview on Bloomberg news with Roger McNamee on the future of technology:

Elevation's McNamee on Apple, Tablets, Investing - Video - Bloomberg

Read between the lines and the RIM strategy begins to look positively uplifting. Not a sure bet, by any means, but the move to a single, superior operating system is what he says it will take to win in the tablet/smartphone market. And why he believes that neither Android nor Microsoft will make much of a dent in the future. He also believes that the future belongs to the people who can integrate applications across platform lines (e.g., putting Skype everywhere so that it becomes the largest global telephone company).

It set me to thinking that many of the analysts who look down at RIM are thinking short term instead of long term, and that the path we are on, for all of its speed bumps and potholes, may be the shortest distance between where we are and the future.
    03-17-12 04:38 PM
    Analysts almost ALWAYS look short term. Taking the long view, and letting something grow and develop, has fallen from fashion. If you can't turn it around in a very short time, it's looked at as a failure. It's unfortunate, but Wall Street is all about quick profits today and to with a slow, conservative approach.
    03-17-12 05:10 PM
    My job takes me in strange directions, which today included a tweet from Janis Ian, a marvellous lady who had some hit songs in the '70s and has gone on to a successful career in music. Janis found interesting an interview on Bloomberg news with Roger McNamee on the future of technology:

Read between the lines and the RIM strategy begins to look positively uplifting. Not a sure bet, by any means, but the move to a single, superior operating system is what he says it will take to win in the tablet/smartphone market. And why he believes that neither Android nor Microsoft will make much of a dent in the future. He also believes that the future belongs to the people who can integrate applications across platform lines (e.g., putting Skype everywhere so that it becomes the largest global telephone company).

It set me to thinking that many of the analysts who look down at RIM are thinking short term instead of long term, and that the path we are on, for all of its speed bumps and potholes, may be the shortest distance between where we are and the future.
    Neither android nor Microsoft will make much of a dent in the future....... And you believed it?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-17-12 05:21 PM
    People want new and exciting experiences.

The stuff RIM is showing is very exciting. The problem (so far) is we're not seeing it.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-17-12 05:56 PM
    Again, where is it written that by said date if Rim doesn't have whatever they are out? Nowhere. Android and Apple's new found success has gone to peoples head. They are #1 and #2 in a world that Rim created. Its not as if on the eve of a certain date #3 is gonna vanish from the facenof the earth. People just don't realize how much money Rim is raking in. Their good. As from the beginning they are doing what they want. If ya think its just peachy in the other kitchens your fooling your self.
    kozmo68, bbfan1040, rshew and 1 others like this.
    03-17-12 06:39 PM

I hate to be the one to break it to you but this is exactly what MS is doing right now. And they will have it done and in place before RIM. If he really believes that MS won't make a dent in the future of the tablet/smartphone market then he is in some serious denial.

btw, I loved Janis Ian when I was young.
    Last edited by JamesDax3; 03-17-12 at 06:50 PM.
    03-17-12 06:40 PM
    I hate to be the one to break it to you but this is exactly what MS is doing right now. And they will have it done and in place before RIM. If he really believes that MS won't make a dent in the future of the tablet/smartphone market then he is in some serious denial.
    Why do you think MS I going to do anything? MS is just keeping their name on the table. Matter of fact they are very out news. Granted they have the os nailed down in the PC world but nobody has challenged they for it. It wouldn't take much to push MS out of the way. Nobody likes what they are doing or where they are headed in the mobile world either.
    03-17-12 07:31 PM
    Why do you think MS I going to do anything? MS is just keeping their name on the table. Matter of fact they are very out news. Granted they have the os nailed down in the PC world but nobody has challenged they for it. It wouldn't take much to push MS out of the way. Nobody likes what they are doing or where they are headed in the mobile world either.
    LMAO!!!

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions aren't we.
    03-17-12 07:44 PM
    Again, where is it written that by said date if Rim doesn't have whatever they are out?
    I hate to break it to you but this has been written dozens of times now, including all last summer.

The fact RIM has not yet vanished per their fantasy predictions won't dissuade the trolls from writing the same words over and over again though, so let them have their fun. ;-)
    03-17-12 07:51 PM
    Niches are fragile to hold Unless it takes risks & more time than expected to reach.

RIMM hasn't rushed into BB10 because it isn't easy to accomplish. Who else is working on a similar product now?

Granted, they have made lots of mistakes. Why would they throw all their efforts away and abandon BB10 now just to please analysts?

But I really want to be able to safely load my contacts into PB soon. As has been found so often, it wasn't easy to change technology to be able to do this. Good luck RIMM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-17-12 08:15 PM
    I have had my fill of MS since about 1982. The latest I have is XP,it updates virus definitions every day. I don't care what MS comes up with now, 30 years is the end of the line for me.
    hackerguy likes this.
    03-17-12 08:29 PM

OT:. I LOVE Janis Ian ... Really identified with her songs ... At Seventeen being my very favourite. Lovely to hear about her ... even in such a peripheral way!
    03-17-12 09:29 PM
    I want RIM to succeed and have been looking very hard to see a survival strategy. But, very unfortunately, all I see is one bad management decision after another. Now, they are hyping future products that are already doomed to fail. And, they are burning through their assets at a very rapid rate. Without a major change of direction they are headed toward major failure.
    And let me guess, you never bothered to look at the fundamentals....Like everyone else, it was just too easy to jump on the bandwagon.

So here we go again for the young ones....20 Bill in revenue, 75 mill subs and 30% growth ROW.

Maybe you should talk to the 75 mill subs and ask why they use RIMM devices. Oh wait, that would be too logical and actually expend energy on your behalf and actually contradict your ignorance.

Too funny.
    hackerguy likes this.
    03-17-12 11:40 PM
    Again, where is it written that by said date if Rim doesn't have whatever they are out? Nowhere. Android and Apple's new found success has gone to peoples head. They are #1 and #2 in a world that Rim created. Its not as if on the eve of a certain date #3 is gonna vanish from the facenof the earth. People just don't realize how much money Rim is raking in. Their good. As from the beginning they are doing what they want. If ya think its just peachy in the other kitchens your fooling your self.
    Oh common, you don't know what you're talking about. If RIM doesn't up their game, they will be out of business by 2011.......er...2012.......I mean 2013........never mind.
    03-18-12 07:49 AM
    On the contrary, netscape challenged them and were crushed, linux challenged them and while they survived, are definitely not a threat.

Now look at what people want on tablets. Cross platform features..... Skype, AND netflix, AND silverlight, AND kindle (not the need for sideloading at all) email, etc...... Okay imagine a totally windows based tablet that can do all that, backed by a company with the resources and established abilities of microsoft (promise things AND deliver them on date and rarely says "delay.....delay...... Delay......" Now if that windows based tablet that runs all the most desired features AND even ran android apps.... Okay, you see my point. Apple's ipad would have a serious competitor.
    03-18-12 08:18 AM
    People just don't realize how much money Rim is raking in. Their good. As from the beginning they are doing what they want. If ya think its just peachy in the other kitchens your fooling your self.
    People know exactly how much money RIM is making, but that profit hasn't convinced major developers to support RIM's products with the apps that will make the difference for RIM.

And let me guess, you never bothered to look at the fundamentals....Like everyone else, it was just too easy to jump on the bandwagon.

So here we go again for the young ones....20 Bill in revenue, 75 mill subs and 30% growth ROW.
    FYI, if your review of the "fundamentals" doesn't include profit, you haven't really looked at the fundamentals (or you're ignoring those that don't fit your argument). RIM reported a 70% year over year decline in profit ($911 million Q3 2011; $265 million Q3 2012) during the most recent quarter for which results are available (and a 60% decline the quarter before that). It's about profit, and RIM's profit is driven by hardware sales, not subscribers. This is why, despite continuing gains in subscribers, RIM's profit has fallen dramatically.

Also, fundamentally, you can't just look at one company as an absolute; you have to look at the market and consider its success relatively. There were 14.3 million devices (phones plus tablets) shipped by RIM in the last quarter for which results were reported. In its last quarter, Apple shipped 15.4 million iPads, meaning the iPad outsold RIM's entire suite of products. Also, that's more iPads sold last quarter than RIM's total unit sales in any quarter in its history (RIM's peak was in Q4 2011, the last pre-PlayBook quarter ended February 2011, where it sold 14.9 million devices).

RIM has reported nearly 39 million devices sold in the first three quarters of its fiscal year. They would have to report 21 million sold on March 29th just to equal the number of mobile platform (i.e. iOS) devices Apple sold in just the most recent quarter (60 million, or 37 million iPhones, 15.4 million iPads, 7.7 million iPod Touch units).
    03-18-12 09:09 AM
    OT:. I LOVE Janis Ian ... Really identified with her songs ... At Seventeen being my very favourite. Lovely to hear about her ... even in such a peripheral way!
    I met Janis about 10 years ago, working to stop the RIAA sue Internet consumers. Janis was one of the few musicians who fought for her right to distriute her own music on the Internet. She is one fantastic lady and a hoot to hear in concert today. She just finished a very successful tour or Europe, and is California dreaming for the coming year. You can keep pace with her at janisian.com.
    03-18-12 03:14 PM
    People know exactly how much money RIM is making, but that profit hasn't convinced major developers to support RIM's products with the apps that will make the difference for RIM.

FYI, if your review of the "fundamentals" doesn't include profit, you haven't really looked at the fundamentals (or you're ignoring those that don't fit your argument). RIM reported a 70% year over year decline in profit ($911 million Q3 2011; $265 million Q3 2012) during the most recent quarter for which results are available (and a 60% decline the quarter before that). It's about profit, and RIM's profit is driven by hardware sales, not subscribers. This is why, despite continuing gains in subscribers, RIM's profit has fallen dramatically.

Also, fundamentally, you can't just look at one company as an absolute; you have to look at the market and consider its success relatively. There were 14.3 million devices (phones plus tablets) shipped by RIM in the last quarter for which results were reported. In its last quarter, Apple shipped 15.4 million iPads, meaning the iPad outsold RIM's entire suite of products. Also, that's more iPads sold last quarter than RIM's total unit sales in any quarter in its history (RIM's peak was in Q4 2011, the last pre-PlayBook quarter ended February 2011, where it sold 14.9 million devices).

RIM has reported nearly 39 million devices sold in the first three quarters of its fiscal year. They would have to report 21 million sold on March 29th just to equal the number of mobile platform (i.e. iOS) devices Apple sold in just the most recent quarter (60 million, or 37 million iPhones, 15.4 million iPads, 7.7 million iPod Touch units).
    Good logical post

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-18-12 03:24 PM

You must report numbers to Wall St by the way you lump RIMM devices with iPad's. Of those 14.3 devices, you and I both know, there were very little PB's in that mix. Comparing iPad's to RIMM phones (their core model) is like comparing Apple to Dell. Apple STILL has less than 5% of the computer market compared to Dell. See how easy it is to spin a story. I could say they don't stand a chance.

Maybe take a look at QNX and see what a significant differentiator it is over that unsecured iOS. Do you know the difference between a multi-tasking OS and iOS?

So while you and the masses like to kick RIMM when operating profits and marketshare has been hit, do you recall the days when Apple was that close to being a thing of the past? My, how soon we forget. Do you remember when Apple didn't have a chance of surviving, and trust me, their financials were far far worse than any picture you tried to paint here. BTW: All you really did for me was point out the obvious. But you missed the part about about recurring revenue from 75 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS.
    . Profitability can be restored my friend, but retaining paying subscribers is much harder.

And lastly, back to the topic of touch devices - I can't stand them. My PB is staring at me while I type on my laptop. iPad/PB or whatever, they are just complementary devices, but one thing that you haven't figured out yet.....The QNX kernel is so powerful and has so many potential applications (not apps) that you might just be surprised one day. It IS superior than iOS so give it a chance.
    spike12 likes this.
    03-21-12 05:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD