So Roger Cheng has written many bad articles towards RIM. Which include one posted completely putting the playbook down and saying OS2 was too little too late (heard it all before) and I also read one posted here that was predicting RIM will fall in 2012.

I was just reading an article and came across another one about the iPad 3 and how the competition could catch up. Now I think we can tell this guy is an apple fanboy but this latest article he actually lists the playbook as competition! I might have done a little dance inside when I read this article! I couldn't believe it! He even says RIM took him through OS2 and showed him some things in it:

Research in Motion PlayBook 2.0
    "I've given the PlayBook a hard time in the past, but the folks at RIM took me through some of the features of the updated software, and I have to say, they are pretty slick. From the deeper integration of the contact and calendar list with social networks, to the visual cues of the calendar--for instance, bigger numbers mean a busier day--the company has shown it is paying attention to the details.
    Its recently launched Mobile Fusion service, which finally brings secure e-mail to its PlayBook, is something that may turn some IT managers' heads. Features like the ability to send a "kill command" to wipe just the work data, and not the personal information, are a step in the right direction for RIM.
    It's priced at $200 like the Kindle Fire, but that's more a result of market demand than an early intent to create a more affordable competitor.
    Of course, these tablets all have their share of weaknesses as well, but that doesn't take away from the fact these features are ones that iPad users would certainly appreciate, and indicate that gap between Apple and its rivals isn't as wide as most people think."

Read more: iPad rivals catching up: Can iPad 3 keep them at bay? | Apple - CNET News

So you think RIM is doing a better job with trying to get better media relations?... about time! Keep the good reviews coming!
    Last edited by shn; 03-05-12 at 08:39 PM.
    03-05-12 08:37 PM
    At least they are now trying!
    03-05-12 08:39 PM
    I literally also just read this. I hope they sent him a free one.
    03-05-12 08:41 PM
    I wouldn't consider CNET a member of the media. It's a tech blog. These sites are full of tech bloggers that submit opinions over fact and truth. They are not news reporters or credited journalists.

But yea, it is strange that a blogger for CNET reported some truth about RIM.
    taylor96, Spencerdl, shn'g and 1 others like this.
    03-05-12 08:42 PM
    No i think they know were on to them! lol

Hate all they want, but anytime they get their hands on one they notice how awesome this tablet is.
    shn'g, taylor96 and VanCity778 like this.
    03-05-12 08:47 PM
    Certainly nice for RIM to get some good press for a change ... And, it's nice to see RIM reaching out to try and enlighten the media on just how awesome the Playbook is.
    taylor96, shn'g and YourMobileGuru like this.
    03-05-12 09:25 PM
    Considering that Cheng has written pieces on the Playbook that can only be considered hostile, this is definitely a positive development.
    taylor96 and shn'g like this.
    03-05-12 09:30 PM
    Actually, yes! I just saw one of those terrible tennie bopper shows - America can dance or something - on a commercial. And they kept saying download the app for your PlayBook . No mention of ios devices or android. That is a plus.
    shn'g likes this.
    03-05-12 09:31 PM
    is it important what the media think of PB? I agree with his old assessments and I half-heartedly agree with his new one.

The problem with OS2 is that it's coming out a full year after the PB itself, which means the hardware is already becoming obsolete. By the time RIM updates the PB software-wise to a good level, the table will be through hardware-wise.
    shn'g likes this.
    03-05-12 10:54 PM
    My hardware feels far from obsolete. That is my assessment.
    03-05-12 10:59 PM
    My hardware feels far from obsolete. That is my assessment.
    And what a scientific assessment it was, too
    shn'g likes this.
    03-05-12 11:05 PM
    Now if only those RIM PR guys could show Engadget the merits of the PlayBook - although for a site that blames the lens in a $4,000 camera for producing cell camera-quality photos, maybe that's too much to ask! :P
    shn'g likes this.
    03-05-12 11:05 PM
    I don't read anything by Roger Cheng. Uninformed and pathetic articles. (This one's a bit better, but can't forgive him for all the other crap he has written).
    shn'g likes this.
    03-05-12 11:06 PM
    is it important what the media think of PB?
    Yes. For any product to succeed, it is important that the media says good things about it. This will mean the PlayBook will be considered seriously by those who want an iPad replacement for whatever reason. More the owners, more the chance of PlayBook getting apps.
    Spencerdl and shn'g like this.
    03-05-12 11:13 PM
    Now if only those RIM PR guys could show Engadget the merits of the PlayBook - although for a site that blames the lens in a $4,000 camera for producing cell camera-quality photos, maybe that's too much to ask! :P
    Actually, the lens usually is the source of deficiencies when using a $4000 camera, assuming you are talking about a DSLR. The sensor brings to light quality issues in the glass - a known problem since DSLRs broke the 10 MP barrier quite a few years back. Standard rule is, and will remain, do not buy a high end camera unless you have quality lenses....
    03-05-12 11:23 PM
    Yes. For any product to succeed, it is important that the media says good things about it. This will mean the PlayBook will be considered seriously by those who want an iPad replacement for whatever reason. More the owners, more the chance of PlayBook getting apps.
    Yeah exactly! Good point!.. The thing was to that every single review site and blog and anything else tech pretty much was down on the PlayBook so if a few now start turning around and even if it's slow start giving the PlayBook some credit, other reviewers even start taking notice and might at least give it a chance. Even if they don't, maybe their next article might not be so negative which even helps. And this as you said makes the people take the device more seriously, all of a sudden RIM isn't as much of a joke anymore.

I respect this guy for saying listen I haven't given the PlayBook good reviews but have given it a shot now and what they have to offer is actually pretty good!
    03-06-12 12:56 AM
    Well, whatever they're doing to get some positive publicity, needs to be duplicated over, and over.....and get BB10 devices out ASAP.
    03-06-12 01:24 AM
    is it important what the media think of PB? I agree with his old assessments and I half-heartedly agree with his new one.

The problem with OS2 is that it's coming out a full year after the PB itself, which means the hardware is already becoming obsolete. By the time RIM updates the PB software-wise to a good level, the table will be through hardware-wise.
    Don't really need better hardware if developers coded more efficiently.

The only reason you think that after a year you think you need better hardware is because companies make you think you need the latest and greatest every year making you spend money on their new product.

My rule of thumb these days is to skip a generation, then upgrade.

Look at the iphone, why upgrade from a 3g to a 3gs? Or a 4 to a 4s?

Heck I'm still on Windows xp and a laptop that's 7 years old because there's no real point for me to upgrade when I use my computer to mostly surf the net and check email.
    Last edited by narci; 03-06-12 at 01:27 AM.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    03-06-12 01:24 AM

The Playbook is hardly obsolete hardware. Yes it isn't cutting edge like it was a year (really 10 months) ago but really things have not progressed that fare since then. The 1Ghz dual core processor and gig of RAM are the baseline now but really we have just started to see 1.2 and 1.5 devices and they still have the same RAM and ROM sizes. Thus far we have only seen ONE quad core device come to market so that is the new top level but it's not standard yet. The PB also has a nice screen. It's not some fancy SuperAmoled thing but it doesn't need to be. The PB while it has media functions is first and foremost a productivity tool and in this case battery life is more important than a few more shades of color.

No longer cutting edge .. definitely

Obsolete ... not even close
    03-06-12 03:39 AM
    What in Hades do you mean the hardware of the BlackBerry PlayBook is already becoming obsolete? Even the the 4G/LTE version of the tablet comes to market the current WiFi-only model will still function and applications will still run on it. The non-user-replaceable battery is the only factor that will limit the current generation BlackBerry PlayBook.
    03-06-12 04:01 AM
    The Playbook is hardly obsolete hardware. Yes it isn't cutting edge like it was a year (really 10 months) ago but really things have not progressed that fare since then. The 1Ghz dual core processor and gig of RAM are the baseline now but really we have just started to see 1.2 and 1.5 devices and they still have the same RAM and ROM sizes. Thus far we have only seen ONE quad core device come to market so that is the new top level but it's not standard yet. The PB also has a nice screen. It's not some fancy SuperAmoled thing but it doesn't need to be. The PB while it has media functions is first and foremost a productivity tool and in this case battery life is more important than a few more shades of color.

No longer cutting edge .. definitely

Obsolete ... not even close
    I dont know it is a cutting edge device a year ago... But you are right, it is still a nice device with decent specs.
    03-06-12 05:35 AM
    From where I sit the Playbook has suffered at the hands of jaded tech bloggers who have spent minimal time actually using the device, or haven't actually used it at all and wrote it off simply because it's a BlackBerry. So any way RIM can get bloggers and journalists to take a second look should be considered a win. Yes, the 2.0 update took to long, and yes the app selection is limited, but even with these knocks against it the Playbook is still a compelling, competent device. And anecdotally speaking the Playbook attracts quite a bit of curiosity at the coffee shop.
    03-06-12 07:06 AM
    The media is important, you mention betamax to someone and they laugh and say ..yeah that was crap wasn't it. But that's all because of the media. Beta was actually a much better system.
    03-06-12 07:14 AM
    Roger Cheng is a snapper head on Appleroids! No one should consider his opinion as honest and forthright.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-06-12 07:25 AM
    First signs of crack in the wall of misinfornation and bias from us tech sites.
    03-06-12 08:03 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD