One of the big criticisms by the media AND many of us at launch was the large update that was needed before using it. I think RIM is trying to blow out the existing inventory of Playbooks with 1.0 so they can add Playbooks with 2.0 into the channel at the reboot launch.

We've seen rumors that the interface is very different in 2.0. Can you picture someone arriving at Staples after watching the new ads only to find the 1.0 interface on the demo unit, on the box graphics and installed on the devices?

It's also possible, but not likely IMHO that the hardware has changed. I for one will also be demanding a 2.0 device if the 2.0 OS doesn't run on my 1.0 device.

That's all I came to say. Rock on.
    09-26-11 07:54 PM
    The channels are already full, they won't be re-supplying them very quickly, not fast enough to get only 2.0 loads out there. And there's no reason or indication that the hardware is being changed. There's really no reason to.

I wonder if those same critics complained when reviewing the iPad that not only does iTunes usually offer up an equally long update procedure, half the time wanting to update itself as well as the device, but that you MUST have iTunes before you can even start the process? I guess being able to say No to the update is better?
    09-26-11 08:06 PM
    Good points, I have only one rebuttal: when trying to compete with the undisputed king, you have to be better than the king.

Also, I remain of the opinion that the Point-of-Sale experience needs to be better.
    09-26-11 08:14 PM
    One of the big criticisms by the media AND many of us at launch was the large update that was needed before using it. I think RIM is trying to blow out the existing inventory of Playbooks with 1.0 so they can add Playbooks with 2.0 into the channel at the reboot launch.

We've seen rumors that the interface is very different in 2.0. Can you picture someone arriving at Staples after watching the new ads only to find the 1.0 interface on the demo unit, on the box graphics and installed on the devices?

It's also possible, but not likely IMHO that the hardware has changed. I for one will also be demanding a 2.0 device if the 2.0 OS doesn't run on my 1.0 device.

That's all I came to say. Rock on.
    First, I cannot see them releasing a new software update that will not run on the current devices, even if there is a hardware refresh. Second, you can demand what you like, if that were the case, but you will still be paying for a 2.0 device, if the 2.0 software only runs on a 2.0 device, although that is highly unlikely. I am kind of hoping that they have beefed up the hardware and planned to release a new device but either way the current playbooks hardware is more than adequate for QNX because of how efficient it is.
    The Playbooks have been put on sale to move the product, so that during the next quarterly report to shareholders, then can actually tell them they have increased the number of Playbooks shipped/sold. Has nothing to do with OS2.0
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD