I been dealing with my Pb for about 2 weeks to make it usable, first the swipe thing, solved thanks to this great site, then wifi (I'm in between ISP and relying in my 3g dongle, but thanks to Android save the day) I have already updated the 2.0 SO twice, now dealing with the poor battery life (barely made it to the end of the day on a full charge).

As the title says RIM should sell the Pb's to work right out the box, cause if it weren't for Crackberry I would have send it back and ask for a refund.

I think this sort of things let people down looking for other options, simplier to use (apple and Android).
    02-27-12 03:57 PM
    I think it is because they want to make sure that the consumer will start off with an OS with the most amount of bug fixes and whatnot.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-27-12 04:01 PM
    ...not to mention, the cost that would be incurred every time there was an update. RIM would have to go into each box, retrieve the unit, and update it.

There MAY be a point where they can have MORE of the system in place on unboxing, but what you're asking for isn't necessarily the most efficient.
    02-27-12 04:09 PM
    I been dealing with my Pb for about 2 weeks to make it usable, first the swipe thing, solved thanks to this great site, then wifi (I'm in between ISP and relying in my 3g dongle, but thanks to Android save the day) I have already updated the 2.0 SO twice, now dealing with the poor battery life (barely made it to the end of the day on a full charge).

As the title says RIM should sell the Pb's to work right out the box, cause if it weren't for Crackberry I would have send it back and ask for a refund.

I think this sort of things let people down looking for other options, simplier to use (apple and Android).
    I dont know why your having so much trouble with your PB, but I hate to tell ya my PB worked right out of the box for me, as did my GF's and now I just set up another one for a friend of mine as she is electronically illiterate LOL and that one worked out of the box too! I find each persons is having problems is very confusing as all of mine worked flawlessly...I dont know if its USER error or what? LOL

02-27-12 04:22 PM

As far as the Battery,this pretty much the norm depending what you are doing.I f mine is fully chg in the am, by evening I got it plugged while using it until it chgs. I am on the web most of the day plus emails with attachments.
    Knucklehead1964 likes this.
    02-27-12 04:24 PM
    you sure you have a Playbook?
    tumblingdice03 likes this.
    02-27-12 04:28 PM
    Pretty much straightforward to set up, you just follow the 's guide. I suppose some people need a helping hand with some stuff.
    02-27-12 04:35 PM
    I dont know why your having so much trouble with your PB, but I hate to tell ya my PB worked right out of the box for me, as did my GF's and now I just set up another one for a friend of mine as she is electronically illiterate LOL and that one worked out of the box too! I find each persons is having problems is very confusing as all of mine worked flawlessly...I dont know if its USER error or what? LOL

Click to view quoted image
    LMFAO!!!!! That could apply to a LOT of threads
    02-27-12 04:42 PM
    Worked great out of the box for me.

smh

User error is a MF'r isn't it?
    02-27-12 04:47 PM
    Mine worked out of the box. OS 2.0 went great the first time. I'm happy.

But I do agree that Crackberry has been great. Picked up little tricks and so on.

James
    02-27-12 04:52 PM
    I would agree with the user insofar as the pb should be able to boot up with whatever OS was packaged at the time. Then step through some startup process where they are offered UPDATE to latest OS now or (burn in h3ll!).

But having to immediately go out and find wifi if one does not have it can be taxing or hard (or as the soldier noticed not even possible!) to get it working .....
    kennyliu and patpatiar like this.
    02-27-12 04:54 PM
    I found the PB to be like most other similar devices to work out of the box, you gotta turn them on, usually update the software, set them up, charge the battery, etc. before they work as fully intended.
    02-27-12 04:57 PM
    I don't get it, the PlayBook is soooo easy to setup. It just takes some minutes or more to go through the walkthrough/guide,
    after that you are basically done and you can put all your stuffs on it. I guess peoples are too ''noobish'' to set it up.
    Or are just too spoiled/stubborn to setup something that easy, i know it's easy when something is already setup for you. (i want that too)
    But why can't you just take some time to get through all the stuffs? Seriously the peoples all around the world are soooo spoiled nowadays.
    No offense OP just saying so, Ofcourse it would be good to have everything set already.
    I had the PlayBook set up in no time le voila le easy! So i call it a !!USER ERROR!! Critical failureeee.
    02-27-12 05:03 PM
    Yes and no. When I got my first PB, I didn't have wi-fi in the house. Cranberry answered the myriad of questions I had in the first few hours of my signing on as a member. Two members in particular cheered me on, and within several hours of being spoon fed by blackjack and jafobabe, I learned about 90+% of everything. I needed to fully enjoy and deploy my PB.

If the PB was ready to go right out of the box, I may not have even come to the forum for any help.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 02-27-12 at 05:08 PM.
    02-27-12 05:06 PM
    Personally I would be upset if I didn't have the option to set it up myself as I love it. Plus it's straight forward, quick and easy. Also as mentioned before, other similar electronics set up in much the same way or more so. Example being my brother getting an ipad last week and couldn't do anything until he got it home to fully set up.
    02-27-12 05:10 PM
    Well mine didn't work out of the, box until I got wifi (tether from my android tablet, wich by the way only took me 3 minutes to set it up when bought it), as F2 says " pb should be able to boot up with whatever OS was packaged at the time."

I'm only saying that RIM should make it easier for the electronically illiterate cause all that people are buying apples or androids.

By the way I've messing with roms and customizations since the windoz 6.0 cellphones
    02-27-12 05:36 PM
    Hey, it was easier than the 9930 I just got from the ups guy. I could not figure out how to open the battery compartment. I had to find the answer - where else - CRACKBERRY DOT COM (in the most blog like intro voice possible). Charging it up now.

Alas, now I have to go back outside and dig a grave for a poor cat!
    02-27-12 06:20 PM

I agree, it should be ready right away just like a printer, or router, or PC, or smartphone...

02-27-12 06:29 PM
    i took mine out of the box charged it turned it on and updated it, never had any trouble with it, it does almost as much as my laptop anything ive needed to know ive got my answer on here but no problems as such i just wish the bluetooth worked like my laptop then id be a happy happy lady
    02-27-12 06:30 PM
    When was the last time you bought a computer and out of the box it did everything you wanted the way you wanted?

PlayBook is soon simple to configure as long as you follow to instructions and don't try any shortcuts.
    02-27-12 06:36 PM
    Hey, it was easier than the 9930 I just got from the ups guy. I could not figure out how to open the battery compartment. I had to find the answer - where else - CRACKBERRY DOT COM (in the most blog like intro voice possible). Charging it up now.
    ROTFLMAO!!! I couldn't figure out how to get mine open either and did a search on Crackberry as well. Glad I'm not the only one.
    02-27-12 06:38 PM

Click to view quoted image
    Really off topic I know but this picture coupled with the "open on..." feature of bridge 2.0 is an amazing way of getting my PlayBook back from those who wish to play [book] with it.
    02-27-12 07:45 PM
    I think with OS 2 now out there they should come standard with OS 2, even if you have to call back old stock it would be worth it. You wouldnt do this for all small updates BUT for this big an update you want a new package design and OS 2 stamping and have them preloaded with OS 2.

And they do need to allow them to be useable without needed a wifi connection to set it up immediately. you need to be able to open in the car and start playing with it.
    oldtimeBBaddict and FF22 like this.
    02-27-12 07:51 PM
    This thread... just wow!!
    02-27-12 08:27 PM
    This thread... just wow!!
    what?
    02-27-12 08:48 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD