Rumors circling about stopping production which Rim has denied. Analysts pressing for Rim to shelf the product mentioning they use it as coffee coaster. Even at discounted price they don't thin there is a market. This is truly sad.
    On top of it what scared me most is RIM coming out and actually saying that the rumors are false. Given RIMs track record of what they say vs what they actually pan out when talking about pb, it almost seems certain that the future is not gloomy.
    But unless RIM refunds our money Rim should not kill the playbook.
    10-01-11 10:01 AM
    You might have also noticed that the coffee coaster dufus was also factually incorrect in many of his assertions. Still, RIM has a tough row to hoe to overcome the short momentum/pressure on the stock.
    10-01-11 10:08 AM
    Using the PB as a coaster. What an ***. It's obvious that he has no clue about QNX, needed processors, etc. However he did mention that the BB7 are good devices, so I will take that as a PLUS.

I also happen to agree with him regarding new management at the top. At this point I believe that's a given

To be frank I am getting sick of always defending RIM. I own 2 PB's and they are great units for what I need.

It would be nice if RIM came to it's own rescue for a change.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jeff
    black hole likes this.
    10-01-11 10:29 AM
    Come on Microsoft or Google buy Rim and put them out of their misery!
    10-01-11 10:33 AM
    Still, RIM has a tough row to hoe to overcome the short momentum/pressure on the stock.
    You mean the pressure on the stock created by the PlayBook killing RIM's spectacular phone margins? That pressure. RIM need not "kill" the PlayBook; based on sequential quarterly performance, it's dying on its own. The question is whether they can revive it.
    10-01-11 10:38 AM
    Come on Microsoft or Google buy Rim and put them out of their misery!
    Google now has Motorola. I think either Microsoft, Samsung or HTC should team up with RIM. Samsung is involved in all those patent suits with Apple. If they bought webOS or RIM (or license QNX) they would also get the patents.

Look at the deal Microsoft and Nokia have going on. Nokia reminds me of RIM. They were once on top, have their own OS, but being ran over now by everyone. They made a good business deal (and got a lot of $$) by teaming up with Microsoft. We'll see some really nice Nokia phone running WM7 shortly, and they now have a promising future again.
    10-01-11 10:40 AM
    You mean the pressure on the stock created by the PlayBook killing RIM's spectacular phone margins? That pressure. RIM need not "kill" the PlayBook; based on sequential quarterly performance, it's dying on its own. The question is whether they can revive it.
    The phone margins remain strong. There is strong short pressure on RIMM. Shorting is one of the ways traders make money. If disinformation suits a shorts purposes, the short will lie. That's the way it is.
    10-01-11 10:44 AM
    The phone margins remain strong. There is strong short pressure on RIMM. Shorting is one of the ways traders make money. If disinformation suits a shorts purposes, the short will lie. That's the way it is.
    The phone margins are very strong. So strong, in fact, that the PlayBook is by far their weakest product in terms of financial performance, even as it might be one of the best two or three devices RIM has ever released.
    10-01-11 10:50 AM
    I'm not sure if this thread is referring to the umbrella term "Blackberry" and all of the products under that name or the Blackberry Phone or Playbook in particular?

That said, does RIM have other products? Looking at their website RIM = Blackberry on their "product" page.

I don't think they'll kill the phones and I think they'll keep the Playbook around much like an ipod touch/ipad version of their phones. Once the switch is made to QNX on phones, shouldn't it be easy enough for RIM to throw the Playbook whatever updates they make for their phones - much like the iOS ecosystem?
    10-01-11 11:18 AM
    Have you seen all the press praising the Amazon Fire, a low end PB lookalike? This is insane, media is getting crazy.... I won't read any related news until after Devcon, in the meantime will enjoy this beautiful and responsive little brick... happy week end, signing off from near the clouds...
    10-01-11 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD