I really believe that RIM should get credit for providing updates to the Playbook. As far as I know, Android manufacturers don't provide updates as well as RIM has. I know people will complain that they should have provided these things when it first came out, but I knew what the Playbook was in November and these updates has made it better for me.

I also like that RIM doesn't ask me for a credit card to setup the Playbook. But then neither does Apple.
    04-18-12 10:40 PM
    Okay, I'll give em credit. I installed all dates with no issues. Still some additional features I'd like to see. But overall I'm enjoying the PlayBook for what it does do!

Hope RIM keeps supporting it!
    04-18-12 10:52 PM
    My coworker has a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 or whatever it was. It still doesn't have ICS... he keeps telling me - "oh, they said it's coming..." - sound familiar? RIM isn't the only one guilty of broken promises.

So to your point... yeah, RIM deserves credit for supporting the playbook.
    04-18-12 11:04 PM
    I give the most credit to apple....people may not like them but all their devices get support for the full two years of the devices contract. As far as the PlayBook....its bittersweet. I think a lot were surprised to see RIM not abandon the PlayBook after the huge markdown, and I'm glad they are providing updates to my $700 purchase...at the same time though, I don't know how Android would be much worse at updates. Yeah they take a little longer to get updates because of the skins of top of the OS, but at the same time we were promised OS2 for the PlayBook in October of 2011, yet we got it at the end of February....
    triplealiali and cdelcampo216 like this.
    04-18-12 11:13 PM
    They deserve credit for supporting a device they made? While not a given, I still see that as kind of like me deserving credit for paying for merchandise in my possession. I see your point, but shouldn't we expect timely updates and support.

One thing that actually made me gravitate to Android was the possibility of updating my own stuff when I felt like it... not when the device manufacturer decides to.
    04-18-12 11:14 PM
    but at the same time we were promised OS2 for the PlayBook in October of 2011, yet we got it at the end of February....
    Exactly...
    Rello likes this.
    04-18-12 11:16 PM
    I really believe that RIM should get credit for providing updates to the Playbook. As far as I know, Android manufacturers don't provide updates as well as RIM has. I know people will complain that they should have provided these things when it first came out, but I knew what the Playbook was in November and these updates has made it better for me.

I also like that RIM doesn't ask me for a credit card to setup the Playbook. But then neither does Apple.
    I agree. RIM has so far emulated Apple for reliably providing updates and attempting to fix problems. That's impressive considering Microsoft, the wishy/washiest, most unreliable updater for Windows Phone, and the Android providers (hardware makers, carriers) have dealt with updates like they are doing the customer an unwarranted favor by sluggishly providing updates...if and when they care to get to them. RIM is at the top tier for supporting the customer.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 04-18-12 at 11:26 PM.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-18-12 11:19 PM
    Yeah, that's the thing that irks me the most about Android. I have a Gal Tab 10.1, and I'm STILL waiting for my ICS update. My TouchPad running ICS runs better than my Gal Tab 10.1. Not to mention other LG android phones that my family has who are stuck on 2.2...
    04-18-12 11:28 PM
    I would think the majority of new PB owners who have bought one since the price drop like myself aren't really complaining about updates. I'm happy with the frequent updates I have received.

Thanks RIM
    zar1964 likes this.
    04-18-12 11:29 PM
    Many Android devices don't get updates as often because:

- They run on the manufacturer modified version of Android/skin (Sense, ToichWiz, etc.) and the manufacturer has to wait for an Android update then modify their skinned version, which is tons of extra work. In other words, hardware and software manufacturers are not the same companies.
    - What makes things even more complicated is that HW manufacturers most often have to work with the carriers as well (e.g. T-Mo has to add their preinstalled apps and test them before releasing updates).

The above is not true for all Android devices and for all manufacturers. If you look at vanilla Android devices, they get updated even more often than the PBOS. E.g. Get a Nexus phone, and you'll see updates much more often than on the Playbook.

Furthermore, even if you have a skinned Android device, you can always update your OS with custom ROMs, some of which are even better than an official update. Thanks to tremendous developer support, you'll most probably find a ROM that suits your needs.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-18-12 at 11:41 PM.
    darktoy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    04-18-12 11:35 PM
    I would think the majority of new PB owners who have bought one since the price drop like myself aren't really complaining about updates. I'm happy with the frequent updates I have received.

Thanks RIM
    Here's the thing though, I feel like yeah they have providing (kinda) frequent updates, they made it seem as though we'd be getting updates pretty much every month and these updates would be adding new features. RIM has now said they'll eventually be moving to yearly updates, similar to apple. It seems now as though they are holding all the good updates back so they can release it all at once...nothing necessarily wrong with ath either but i almost feel like we won't be getting anything juicy until BB10 hits the PlayBook
    04-18-12 11:51 PM
    RIM's updates are like rockstars. Maybe it's because I'm only a member of crackberry and not any of the other Mobile Nations sites, but I'm not sure if updates from any other platforms are as so crazily sought after. They cause...A mild frenzy, to say the least.

The updates that RIM pushes out are what make me believe that they can turn things around. Other than the browser bookmark thing that is lacking, which bothers everyone except me, RIM has given us almost everything we want with the updates. The fact that our PlayBooks' hardware is almost a year old and still not outdated, really shows that RIM can still be competitive when it comes to hardware.

And the OS since day one was never the real issue. Every update has improved pretty substantially on the previous build (though the now absent predictive keyboard in bridged apps is highly annoying), and the fact that RIM's browser now renders HTML 5 content and most websites better than pretty much any other electronic device has me convinced that BB10 phones will be RIM's biggest and best update yet.
    joski likes this.
    04-18-12 11:54 PM
    "I must give credit where credit is due"
    04-18-12 11:56 PM
    Here's the thing though, I feel like yeah they have providing (kinda) frequent updates, they made it seem as though we'd be getting updates pretty much every month and these updates would be adding new features. RIM has now said they'll eventually be moving to yearly updates, similar to apple. It seems now as though they are holding all the good updates back so they can release it all at once...nothing necessarily wrong with ath either but i almost feel like we won't be getting anything juicy until BB10 hits the PlayBook
    Where did they say that they'd be doing major updates yearly? If that's true, that's a huge bummer. They are not in the position to imitate Apple here. For apple, a yearly update is a reason to market a new iteration of iPhone/iPad. However, RIM doesn't enjoy the developer support that Apple does. Plus, feature-wise, PBOS is still much behind the competitors. Delaying new features will actually work against the Playbook.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-19-12 at 12:13 AM.
    04-18-12 11:57 PM
    Yes RIM deserves a pat on the back...I have had mine almost a month so I'm very happy. I can see why people who bought a year ago are upset. But, time has fixed a lot of things.

I have ordered a second one. I'm going to hang in there with you for those future promises.

If you look back you'll see every tech company has failed at some point. The new iPad is having reports of problems...hardware. No update fixes that.

Not here to knock anyone, but you are right. RIM, going against all odds is going to pull this one off. The new 4G & OS and the whole thing is gonna come together I believe.

But, windows tabs and phones, and cheap Android stuff...

It may take more than a great product.

HP pretty much ditched the touchpad from what I hear. I waited from Christmas to April to buy one. It has paid off so far.

I hope we can all say I told you so and RIM is a solid force in the market because of these updates we are getting now and in the near future.
    PatrickMJS and bbfan1040 like this.
    04-19-12 12:19 AM
    Yeah, that's the thing that irks me the most about Android. I have a Gal Tab 10.1, and I'm STILL waiting for my ICS update. My TouchPad running ICS runs better than my Gal Tab 10.1. Not to mention other LG android phones that my family has who are stuck on 2.2...
    Ahh. You have a Touchpad running ICS, huh? I had a Touchpad running ICS, but I was too chickens...uh, you know what, for it, a rooted, double-booted custom ROM device. I'm a Casper Milquetoast, and I preferred my Le Pan II, which runs a stable, reliable Honeycomb, has full Google/Android options, as well as having the identical dimensions and processor (Qualcom Snapdragon 1.2 gh).It's really a crazy good economy tab. And, I have a tracking notice informing me that my Acer Iconia A500 will be arriving on Friday. Why do I get all this? Because, I'm a sick woman, of course. What? You were expecting some kind of reasonable explanantion? And people are indeed pissed that the ICS upgrades are eking out so slowly. On the Le Pan discussion forum people are expressing, frustration and anger at the situation without fear that the posse will be riding out to the rescue, ready to lambast anyone who would try to say a bad word about the poor Matsunichi company. Nobody takes complaints against a device or company personally, and, I believe, no one here should feel personally offended, either.

Yes, good for RIM updating its OS. What it should have done before is moot. The past is the past.

P.S. Those rooted Touchpads with custom Android ROMS are hot items. I put mine up for sale on Craig's List, and it sold within 30 minutes at full price.
    04-19-12 12:24 AM
    RIM should get credit for a lot of other things most journos have conveniently chosen to ignore..
    BBplaybookJS likes this.
    04-19-12 01:04 AM
    Thanks For getting me an additional update RIM. There, they got credit. Now can I get BB10 please. The phone that will do everything with my PlayBook. Thanks
    04-19-12 02:04 AM

I agree, RIM is working hard to provide a top notch PlayBook for us......
    BBplaybookJS likes this.
    04-19-12 02:40 AM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Love the Playbook . bought it day 1 .. love the ongoing updates and look forward to continued improvement and new added functionality! .. use it every day .. all over the world! .. no regrets!!! Great product!
    04-19-12 03:17 AM
    My coworker has a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 or whatever it was. It still doesn't have ICS... he keeps telling me - "oh, they said it's coming..." - sound familiar? RIM isn't the only one guilty of broken promises.

So to your point... yeah, RIM deserves credit for supporting the playbook.
    My work has an Asus Transformer for folk that go into the warehouse to browse our intranet.
    We've had it approx 6-8 months and it's had about 4-5 updates from Asus.
    It currently runs the newest Android 4, but even on 3.x it was still far more effective than a PB on this new update.

So on balance, to the OP, other manufacturers are similar in updates it seems, but ahead of the curve functionality wise.
    However, the PB is improving steadily, so that's nice
    J
    04-19-12 03:22 AM
    Going to be a party pooper... no credit given here. Most other mainstream devices haven't needed the level of updates the PB has required. OS 2.0 is what should have shipped from day one, only a pain if you have had the device from then or soon after.

So personally I have seen very little that makes feel thankful due to my misgivings noted elsewhere.
    04-19-12 03:33 AM
    Where did they say that they'd be doing major updates yearly? If that's true, that's a huge bummer. They are not in the position to imitate Apple here. For apple, a yearly update is a reason to market a new iteration of iPhone/iPad. However, RIM doesn't enjoy the developer support that Apple does. Plus, feature-wise, PBOS is still much behind the competitors. Delaying new features will actually work against the Playbook.
    I'm sorry man, I been looking for this article for like the last hour but I swear there is a interview with Alec where he says they will eventually move towards a yearly upgrade for their devices or something like that. LOL hopefully someone will confirm what I'm saying so I don't sound stupid but I swear this was stated somewhere...
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-19-12 03:47 AM
    It's sad that ongoing support is something a company has to be given credit for, but yeah, one more reason I'm glad I have a PlayBook and not a Kindle Fire.
    04-19-12 04:33 AM
    I don't know how Android would be much worse at updates. Yeah they take a little longer to get updates because of the skins of top of the OS, but at the same time we were promised OS2 for the PlayBook in October of 2011, yet we got it at the end of February....
    Yet you have somehow to "search an find", not a question of timing here, but ease of notification and automatic process (a la apple, they deserve your thanks too).
    04-19-12 04:40 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD