Giving it away for free would only re-enforce the notion that free is all that it is worth.
    The so called "fire sales" did enough of that. - Devaluation.
    I remember you loved the "fire sales", or big sale promotions, because it got more pbs out there. If they gave away pbs with the purchase of a 500 dollar phone... seems like an amazing deal people would jump on. In that way they could be making a comeback in both markets.
    01-07-12 11:22 PM
    This idea is dumb. Sell it at a loss is one thing, but free is just dumb. They seem to be moving plenty at reduced pricing. They need to get the OS finished and major apps on it and then it will sell much better at a reduced price. RIM's biggest mistake was trying to sell an unfinished product at same price as iPad based on specs, but the iPad has a mature eco-system. They will never be able to sell it at same price as iPad again probably. Eventually though RIM will need to make money on the device either with profit on the hardware or profit on the content (a la Kindle Fire).
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    01-08-12 08:48 AM
    I also don't like the idea.. giving it to people for free could mean getting playbooks into the hands of people who are:
    1)cheap
    2)don't have money

and both doesn't bode well for developers..

what RIM needs to do is get cascades out ASAP and pay developers to make gorgeous looking and highly functional app (imagine notes plus/notebook from circus ponies from apple app store with the sweet UI framework of TAT's note app, or imagine browsing through your facebook/linkedin posts using those sweet 3d animation used by TAT's contacts app). RIM has already done enough to subsidize the hardware, now they need to subsidize the developers to further develop great apps like bookreader, comics, groovynote, notesmartly, geereader, ...

more apps = more functions = more usage = more pb owners
    01-08-12 12:03 PM
    I tend to agree with you and some of the other posts. I figured it was an interesting opinion considering the author was a former RIM employee. Good thread for discussion.
    01-08-12 12:04 PM
    I tend to agree with you and some of the other posts. I figured it was an interesting opinion considering the author was a former RIM employee. Good thread for discussion.
    i salute the open discussion, absence of flame throwing, and your response.
    01-08-12 02:22 PM
    I also don't like the idea.. giving it to people for free could mean getting playbooks into the hands of people who are:
    1)cheap
    2)don't have money

and both doesn't bode well for developers..

what RIM needs to do is get cascades out ASAP and pay developers to make gorgeous looking and highly functional app (imagine notes plus/notebook from circus ponies from apple app store with the sweet UI framework of TAT's note app, or imagine browsing through your facebook/linkedin posts using those sweet 3d animation used by TAT's contacts app). RIM has already done enough to subsidize the hardware, now they need to subsidize the developers to further develop great apps like bookreader, comics, groovynote, notesmartly, geereader, ...

more apps = more functions = more usage = more pb owners
    i just reread the OP, the real suggestion was to offer a 16gig with purchase of a phone. So thats not free, but does get BB devices out into consumer hands.
    I think I like the idea.

I just got my PB for xmas, abosolutly love the device! But wondering how I am to use it wihout any of the apps I want or use on my phone. there is longways to go to catch up with apples eco system. hope they can get something out there soon. Want this device to make it in the marketplace.
    01-08-12 02:31 PM
    Was walking past a Bell store today and saw a sign for the playbook in the window saying you could receive up to $100 off with the purchase of select smartphones. Haven't checked the site yet, anyone know the full details of the promotion?
    01-08-12 02:50 PM
    Don't you just love the entitlement mentality of these 1 percenters that believe that a device that a company invested capital time and energy should not be able to make a profit. Getting something that you didn't earn the money to buy for free is totally ludicrous and will not occupy another moment of my time.
    You do realize the "1 percenters" are the wealthy class, right? Does anyone think wealthy people became wealthy by giving things away for free? This comment doesn't make any sense.

Isn't Android activating tens of thousand of phones a day? Yet the author is saying they can't compete with Apple? Some of these tech bloggers are real jeopardy contestants.
    Certainly Android is competitive in terms of devices "activated," but when it comes to search-related usage (where 96% of Google's revenue originates), it's not close. It's why Android still pays Apple more than $100 million annually for default search placement on iOS; despite their "activations," 2/3rds of their mobile searches flow from iOS according to Google's own data:

"As part of the Senate Judiciary hearings today, former FTC official and new Google employee, Suzanne Michel, said that a full two-thirds of Google’s mobile search traffic comes from iOS devices, even though recent Android trends suggest otherwise."

Two-Thirds of Google’s Mobile Search Traffic Comes From iOS Devices | Mobile Marketing Watch
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    01-08-12 03:01 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD