I challenge RIM to set a "FIRM" date for the release of the PB OS2.

This has to be a "drop dead" for sure date.

This would do wonderful things for RIM and PB owners, if they hit it.

1. It would prove that RIM can deliver on a preset date

2. Would build excitement once again for the PB.

3. Would silence some of the negative remarks, postings etc..

4. Would put the "buzz" on the street just ahead of "Appletober".

5. It would show that RIM is changing its ways toward the customer.

6. Would allow the investor to gain some faith in their purchase.

CB could display a count down clock on the website main page and get folks excited about the Playbook once again. Give us some hope! Refocus our sick little minds!

The other side of this is, if RIM drops the ball and misses the date than we all would know they
    still do not have their sh1t together yet.

This "sometime thereafter" DevCon is BS and just puts the PB users deeper into the deep dark hole of uncertainty.

Walk the walk and talk the talk or get the h3ll out of the business RIM!

Does Jim and Mike have the guts to do this or will they continue to hide in their ivory tower?

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 09-23-11 at 11:29 AM.
    09-23-11 11:19 AM
    wow, totally agree with you. they have to be credible to their promises!
    09-23-11 11:24 AM
    They can't and won't. I work for a software company and it's near impossible to do this unless it's an incremental upgrade. You always end up looking foolish when you set a date, especially with a NEW product.
    09-23-11 11:33 AM
    End of summer
    Barljo, john dunbar and dave1701 like this.
    09-23-11 11:55 AM
    They can't and won't. I work for a software company and it's near impossible to do this unless it's an incremental upgrade. You always end up looking foolish when you set a date, especially with a NEW product.
    i have to agree with you, i work in and electronics and software hardware cant be given an exact date. there is always something that pushes that date out. I mean for all we know it could the share holders prolonging the release!
    09-23-11 11:57 AM
    In the financial data business I am in if we do not deliver the products (which consists of programs and services that are custom made) we are monetarily penalized. So we do hit 99 percent of our set deadlines.

It can be done if the date is realistic and the company has the right motivation.

Sorry, but we do it everyday.

Tim
    fatherslot likes this.
    09-23-11 12:07 PM
    End of Fall.

But since your thread is the first (of a coming many), it seems rim did stamp out, at least momentarily, the threads asking about OS2.
    09-23-11 12:15 PM
    60 days........ from Devcon
    09-23-11 12:22 PM
    Of coarse whenever it does debut, the upgrade must work flawlessly. I plan on purchasing a PB once the update drops so hopefully whatever Playbook I buy will have OS 2.0 on board from the get go.
    09-23-11 12:23 PM
    Of coarse whenever it does debut, the upgrade must work flawlessly. I plan on purchasing a PB once the update drops so hopefully whatever Playbook I buy will have OS 2.0 on board from the get go.
    Not going to happen.

Any Playbook that you are going to buy is at this moment sitting in a warehouse and will need to be upgraded when you turn it on for the first time.
    bquinney likes this.
    09-23-11 12:27 PM
    In the financial data business I am in if we do not deliver the products (which consists of programs and services that are custom made) we are monetarily penalized. So we do hit 99 percent of our set deadlines.

It can be done if the date is realistic and the company has the right motivation.

Sorry, but we do it everyday.

Tim
    You are contractually obliged to release by date certain. RIM has no such explicit obligation.

I'd rather they take their time to do it right. As it is, I'm enjoying my PB immensely. 2.0 is just a bonus.
    09-23-11 12:36 PM
    This thread is probably the 100th variation on this theme. I know because I started most of the rest of them.

I have concluded that RIM does not care about what we think and probably has no handle on when anything will be ready. Don't believe me?

Less than two months ago when the Android Player leaked, RIM said:

"The official beta release of the Android App Player for the BlackBerry PlayBook is on track for release later this summer."

In early August, the Engadget rumor hit that the Android player was delayed until late fall.

Crackberry Kevin checked with his sources and at that time and posted an article "Don't Panic Playbook Owners . . . Android App Player Still Looking to Be On Schedule. This was on August 4.

http://crackberry.com/do-not-panic-p...still-schedule

In that article Kevin reported that it might come in late August or early September. So, someone at RIM in early August thought Android Player was going to be released in just a few weeks.

What could have happened between then and the end of summer to change any of this?

It seems like the chicken is running around without any head.
    09-23-11 12:44 PM
    You are contractually obliged to release by date certain. RIM has no such explicit obligation.

I'd rather they take their time to do it right. As it is, I'm enjoying my PB immensely. 2.0 is just a bonus.
    This proves my point on motivation. Where there is the will there is a way.

RIM needs to display the "can do" attitude.

I and many others do not see this as a bonus OS but rather what the PB should already have . Sales show this as does the majority of BB owners as not even quarter of BB phone owners have purchased one.

Is RIM truly motivated?

We shall see.

Tim
    john dunbar likes this.
    09-23-11 12:51 PM
    No way that happens at this point in time. RIM has more to lose doing that.
    09-23-11 12:55 PM
    RIM set a date and actually meet it? Like that is going to happen.
    rleo25 likes this.
    09-23-11 01:09 PM
    The co-CEO's have set two dates by their own words, June 13th and September 22nd, and missed both. Even if they gave you a third date, would you even believe it? We saw native PIM and e-mail working live at BBW, which would make you think it was just about ready, but it isn't here. Probably better for them to to keep it more vague like now because they don't have the competence as a company to deliver. And for everyone saying that they need to wait till they get it right, no one will ever make a bug free issue free OS, especially RIM! Probably the only reason they are holding this thing back is to get additional wow factor for the BlackberryTV box rumored to be available on October 31st. "Here is OS2.0 and you'll want to buy this cool little box to go with your new Playbook". We'll see what they deliver but it better be fracking spectacular and worth the wait and loss of their credibility with many. Occasionally people deserve to have their faith rewarded.
    09-23-11 01:50 PM
    If RIM doesnt come out with OS2 for PB soon the PB will be just an expensive paper weight. I own a PB and an Ipad 2 and the PB is a better device by far. But its in need for the OS2 magic. I own 5 blackberry devices to include the 9930 and all i will say to my customer service deficient buddys at rim is two things. Your bold is selling like crazy so focus on that and your PB is better than the Ipad so show the world that. Buti think they are clueless and really think people wont get tired of being addicts if the drug (blackberry) losses its power
    09-23-11 02:28 PM
    I challenge RIM to set a "FIRM" date for the release of the PB OS2.

This has to be a "drop dead" for sure date.

This would do wonderful things for RIM and PB owners, if they hit it.

1. It would prove that RIM can deliver on a preset date

2. Would build excitement once again for the PB.

3. Would silence some of the negative remarks, postings etc..

4. Would put the "buzz" on the street just ahead of "Appletober".

5. It would show that RIM is changing its ways toward the customer.

6. Would allow the investor to gain some faith in their purchase.

CB could display a count down clock on the website main page and get folks excited about the Playbook once again. Give us some hope! Refocus our sick little minds!

The other side of this is, if RIM drops the ball and misses the date than we all would know they
    still do not have their sh1t together yet.

This "sometime thereafter" DevCon is BS and just puts the PB users deeper into the deep dark hole of uncertainty.

Walk the walk and talk the talk or get the h3ll out of the business RIM!

Does Jim and Mike have the guts to do this or will they continue to hide in their ivory tower?

Tim
    Umm that would be nice, but I think they learned their lesson the hard way about "setting dates".
    Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice shame on me....

I for one have heard enough complaining aboot missed dates to last me a lifetime....

09-23-11 02:41 PM
    If RIM doesnt come out with OS2 for PB soon the PB will be just an expensive paper weight.
    Please clarify.
    You mean an expensive paperweight that 70 percent of the users in here find useful enough as is (love it!) even without 2.0 correct?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nt-lie-651229/
    09-23-11 02:44 PM
    Umm that would be nice, but I think they learned their lesson the hard way about "setting dates".
    Don't count on this. RIM missing deadlines is not new, and I doubt it will come to and end any time soon.
    09-23-11 02:57 PM
    wow, totally agree with you. they have to be credible to their promises!
    Perhaps, but not to their schedules. In the real corporate world, schedules are missed, modified to ever changing circumstances, necessities, surprises, realities, etc.

The "spin" was that it was a promise, when the words that came out of Basilly's mouth were "60 days scheduled". Those at the top generally have no idea what is going on in the trenches, not to say it isn't their responsibility to know, but they get lied to, appeased all the time by middle management just to get them off of their backs. Not only that, but middle management is lied to and appeased also, by their underlings for the same reason so it propagates up the chain of command. False promises are made, followed both by excuses and legitimate reasons ( surprises ) why the schedule has not been met.

Not a defense of the CEO's, just reality. Having seen how corporations work on the inside, I am of the opinion that Basilly actually believed the schedule would be met and was set up for a patsy.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-23-11 at 03:53 PM.
    sixthelement likes this.
    09-23-11 03:35 PM
    This proves my point on motivation. Where there is the will there is a way.

RIM needs to display the "can do" attitude.

I and many others do not see this as a bonus OS but rather what the PB should already have . Sales show this as does the majority of BB owners as not even quarter of BB phone owners have purchased one.

Is RIM truly motivated?

We shall see.

Tim
    Actually they have displayed a "have done" attitude which is a lot more tangible and concrete, less abstract and more valuable to show credibility than an "attitude".

People don't give enough credit to the pretty much flawless and beautiful piece of hardware we hold in our hands because everyone is focused on the software. The hardware achievement, unmatched even by iPad, (A lot more squeezed into a much smaller package) has not gotten enough credit and recognition.

By the way, do you think now that the hardware is out, that the hardware engineering group is just sitting on their butts or taking vacation?

Perhaps the Playbook 2 hardware could be the reason for the slowdown in production of Playbook 1?
    09-23-11 03:51 PM
    RIM had better wake up! Amazon looks like it's going to bring their tablet launch forward to October - and they're gonna be cheap! Between that and the iPhone launch, all thunder will be stolen. They either have to get on with it or keep us waiting till long after Devcon when everything's died down!
    09-23-11 04:53 PM
    Patience is a virtue. You were not lied to. They said summer and had every intention of getting this out by summer, but delays happened, london riots happened, financial fallout happened....s*** happens. In the grand scheme of things a couple months, frankly do not matter, as long as they get it out shortly after devcon, before holiday shopping gets hot and heavy, theu finally can start a big marketing push because all the features will be there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-11 05:21 PM
    It's not a new product, it's $200 cheaper now then when it was introduced. They shelved a bunch of the playbook programmers and I never seen a company drop employees and meet dates. RIM just doesn't care about our gripes. They're lost in their own little world.
    09-23-11 06:28 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD