Is this a deliberate policy from RIM?

Nah. Just good old solid incompetence.
    10-19-12 04:45 PM
    Sorry to drag this old thread up again , i was about to purchase a piece of software (Kalemsoft media player) that would have been good for both my wifes and my PB but when i checked the price via the current exchange rate decided not to . It's $6.99 in the US which is �4.40 at current rates yet in the UK it is on sale at �7 , sorry to say 2 sales lost not paying that much above the rate .
    d.flex likes this.
    11-16-12 12:55 AM
    Not the case in Malaysia though. 1 $USD = RM 3.075.
    If an app costs 0.99USD it will be around RM 3.20 +- after conversion and that's it. (FYI, RM = Malaysia's currency)
    11-16-12 03:13 AM
    Which both are pretty high in Europe, especially England. CDs, electronics, prestige make up, clothing and just about everything. Canada is very lucky to be the neighbor of US. Despite the current economy situation, the buying power of North America is the strongest in the world, hence the cost of living is much lower by comparison. I can purchase a bottle of perfume made in France here cheaper than I can in France. This is just one of many example and a simplistic explanation. I'm sure we have more qualify economists members here who can elaborate on that. Essentially that's the gist of it. RIM is not a foreign exchange broker, just a company doing business in any country.
    Barljo likes this.
    11-16-12 10:39 AM
    Crikey! and I thought the Apple "fan boys" were protective!!. The OP makes a valid and reasonable point and all the RIM "fan boys" immediately jump on him and flame him to death. The point he makes IS valid.Apple charge for example $1 in USA for an App and then convert it to 69p in the UK, Android do the same.If RIM choose not to, then thats their choice and they're perfectly entitled to do so, but the OP is also prefectly entitled to raise the point and point out the apparent unfairness of it all.
    Banco and slparry like this.
    11-18-12 03:39 AM
    Here in Belgium everything is normal. When there is an app that crackberry says cost 99 dollarcents, I only have to pay 75 eurocents. When it cost 2.99 dollar, I have to pay 2,25 euro.
    So here it is ok!
    11-18-12 03:46 AM
    So by the sounds of it , it's just the UK that's paying over the odds (again) , Thanks Rim !
    slparry likes this.
    11-19-12 12:54 AM
    I posted this in a smaller thread but it's been pointed out this was a bigger discussion so here it is again, Rim are listening to complaints and making changes to pricing tiers

BlackBerry World Pricing Tier Update �BlackBerry Developer Blog

BlackBerry World Pricing Tier Update
    01.27.13 Alex Kinsella
    0 Comments
    inShare
    In preparation for launch of BlackBerry 10, we will be starting the first wave of our planned pricing update in BlackBerry World. This first wave will update the British Pound (GPB) and Euro (EUR) currencies. Shortly after we will be rolling out updates to other currencies and will be informing you in advance of those changes.

This price tier update includes updated currency exchange rates and VAT requirements. These updates will help to position your content items to be more competitive and attractive to customers in the UK and Eurozone markets. The goal of this adjustment is to ensure prices are in line with currency fluctuations and ensure content within BlackBerry World is competitive.

The price change is completely automatic and will not impact the availability of your content items to customers. You are not required to take any action.

So what does this mean for the customer?

Currently, the lowest tier in the UK is �1.00. Once the price tier changes are implemented, the lowest tier will be �0.75. For Euros the tier will vary by country. For example, in France the current lowest tier is €0.99. With the pricing tier changes, the new lowest tier will be €0.89.

Should you like to adjust the price tier for your content items in a given country you can freely do so within the BlackBerry World vendor portal at any time.

Please note that if you make any changes to the pricing of your content items there will be a delay of up to 24 hours until the prices appear.
    01-27-13 08:03 AM
    This is just one of many example and a simplistic explanation. I'm sure we have more qualify economists members here who can elaborate on that. Essentially that's the gist of it. RIM is not a foreign exchange broker, just a company doing business in any country.
    If the University of London can bill students in the correct exchange rate equivalent in their own currency, why can't an international corporation such as Research In Motion manage this rather easy task? There is no requirement to be a foreign exchange broker, simply use one of the many legitimate and no-cost exchange rate calculators provided by many financial institutions or the good old Internet? RIM rakes in extra profit by charging the same nominal fee for applications instead of the local currency. For example, the GBP is worth approximately 50% more than the USD therefore a USD0.99 application should only cost GBP0.67.
    01-27-13 08:13 AM
    ^teeny weeniest bit of an expansive comment
    01-27-13 11:16 AM
    If the University of London can bill students in the correct exchange rate equivalent in their own currency, why can't an international corporation such as Research In Motion manage this rather easy task? There is no requirement to be a foreign exchange broker, simply use one of the many legitimate and no-cost exchange rate calculators provided by many financial institutions or the good old Internet? RIM rakes in extra profit by charging the same nominal fee for applications instead of the local currency. For example, the GBP is worth approximately 50% more than the USD therefore a USD0.99 application should only cost GBP0.67.
    See my post immediately above yours, RIM are now making the changes people have been asking for.
    01-28-13 04:52 AM
    See my post immediately above yours, RIM are now making the changes people have been asking for.
    Demanding, I think, rather than asking....

Personally, I've point blank refused to buy most apps because of the rip off nature of the pricing. The odd �1 app where the loss of 30p is something I'll live with - but I've never bought anything that costs more than that because the scale of the rip off increases. So this is somewhat necessary and long overdue.
    01-28-13 05:47 AM
    That issue is being solved and BB world is being updated !
    01-28-13 06:17 AM
    You need to stop complaining about Blackberry ripping people of and complain to the devs that set prices....
    02-09-13 10:07 PM
    Price was converted into local currency here in Thailand. Our currency is so damn strong now, I can buy app 10-15% cheaper than in Europe lol
    02-10-13 01:14 PM
115 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD