The cost of doing business is different in every country. Therefore companies will have to adjust their price in each country. Blame your government, not a company that is providing you with business tools and entertainment. Heck, someone has to pay your healthcare!

KRS
    LOL sometimes people should check before posting statements that are untrue, health care in the UK is payed for by National Insurance payments made by every employee directly from their wages and by the employer.
    Simple fact if an application costs $2.00 in the USA we pay �2.00 for it.
    yorkshireman2 and slparry like this.
    09-24-12 03:22 PM
    From my personal experience visiting Portugal this summer, almost every app I checked in BB App World as well as PB App World was the correct currency conversion from Canadian Dollars to Euros. I had wanted to check this, as almost everyone complains about the exchange but I did not notice one app where it was priced as simply replacing the dollar sign with the euro sign.

Just putting in my 2 cents.
    That is my experience too. I've checked prices whilst in Spain, France, Belgium and even Switzerland and the exchange rate is pretty much spot-on.

The ONLY country that seemed to be getting ripped off in big style is the UK, which is shocking when the UK is one of RIM's biggest market places.
    09-24-12 03:26 PM
    Could someone confirm this for me... a wee bit of research is showing UK listed price for Angry Birds RIO as �5.00 ($8.33) whilst it is listed currently in USD as $2.99 making it a whopping extra markup of just under 179% (279% of listed price).
    I can confirm that it is listed at �5 for me in the UK.

Here's the amazing thing I've just discovered. If this is true then it is borderline fraud.

If I go to App World it is advertised at $4.99. If I add to cart and go to checkout it is then listed at �5.

i.e. the price has been adjust AFTER adding it to my basket.

No warning. No message. Just a total change of price without asking me. If someone didn't notice the change, and just clicked on checkout, they'd have paid over $8 for what was clearly listed as a $4.99 product. Wow!

Surely this is borderline illegal or at least seriously unethical.
    the-elf and Fmar like this.
    09-24-12 03:43 PM
    That is my experience too. I've checked prices whilst in Spain, France, Belgium and even Switzerland and the exchange rate is pretty much spot-on.

The ONLY country that seemed to be getting ripped off in big style is the UK, which is shocking when the UK is one of RIM's biggest market places.

Yeah! If u go round my high school asking all 820 students (inc me) about 75% will say they have a BlackBerry all with App World and where there is app world there is paid for apps i guarantee it!

Sent from my CrackBerry 9300 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    09-24-12 04:07 PM
    Yeah! If u go round my high school asking all 820 students (inc me) about 75% will say they have a BlackBerry all with App World and where there is app world there is paid for apps i guarantee it!

Sent from my CrackBerry 9300 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    Can you ask them all to fill out the petition. That would be awesome!

Petition | Blackberry: Stop over charging UK customers in purchasing applications. | Change.org

Power to the people :-)
    esk369 likes this.
    09-24-12 04:25 PM
    It's a perennial annoyance here in the UK that we pay more for everything - US dollar prices simply translated into Sterling. You can understand it with physical goods - import duty etc, but on software etc. it does seem a bit of a con. VAT is chargeable on digital books etc., so that will be added....

Peter_betos - I have no idea what a brand tax is, and no.....
    I think no matter what country we are all respectively from I think we can all agree that TAXES SUCK.
    I personally feel violating in a not so nice way on a weekly basis looking at the taxed portion of my pay stub add on sales tax state city fed and the fact that my child will be paying for the mistakes of the
    Last admiadministration in the U.S.
    BOTTOM LINE equal app prices for all regardless of country.
    JUST SIGNED TO SUPPORT EQUALITY 4ALL.
    Last edited by esk369; 09-24-12 at 06:29 PM. Reason: to give my support
    yorkshireman2 likes this.
    09-24-12 04:26 PM
    Can you ask them all to fill out the petition. That would be awesome!

Petition | Blackberry: Stop over charging UK customers in purchasing applications. | Change.org

Power to the people :-)
    Yes I will
    #PowerToThePeople
    09-24-12 04:39 PM
    LOL sometimes people should check before posting statements that are untrue, health care in the UK is payed for by National Insurance payments made by every employee directly from their wages and by the employer.

Simple fact if an application costs $2.00 in the USA we pay �2.00 for it.
    That is correct we pay National Insurance which gives us our free NHS healthcare
    Maybe if u used google u would know!!
    slparry likes this.
    09-24-12 04:41 PM
    I can confirm that it is listed at �5 for me in the UK.

Here's the amazing thing I've just discovered. If this is true then it is borderline fraud.

If I go to App World it is advertised at $4.99. If I add to cart and go to checkout it is then listed at �5.

i.e. the price has been adjust AFTER adding it to my basket.

No warning. No message. Just a total change of price without asking me. If someone didn't notice the change, and just clicked on checkout, they'd have paid over $8 for what was clearly listed as a $4.99 product. Wow!

Surely this is borderline illegal or at least seriously unethical.
    British law states that a product has to be offered for the current lowest price it has been advertised as. A retailer can state it was a mistake and withdraw it from sale.

A bit of research led me here:

This is clearly fraud and can very likely be prosecuted under this 'The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008'.

Clause 5:

5. Making an invitation to purchase products at a specified price without disclosing the existence of any reasonable grounds the trader may have for believing that he will not be able to offer for supply, or to procure another trader to supply, those products or equivalent products at that price for a period that is, and in quantities that are, reasonable having regard to the product, the scale of advertising of the product and the price offered (bait advertising).
    I'm sure Trading Standards would be all over this.

Might come back at you with this, with a request for screen grabs it at all possible.

EDIT: Notice the end bit: (bait advertising)

Never realised Bait and Switch, as term was legal jargon. Thought it was slang. Bait and Switch is officially fraud.
    Last edited by Fmar; 09-24-12 at 04:56 PM.
    09-24-12 04:44 PM
    I didn't read the entire thread, but has anyone actually even called RIM and asked? I would think that would be the first logical step.
    09-24-12 05:07 PM
    The OP is probably right. This thread would be best in general discussion as this disgusting practice by RIM applies to both Playbook AND Blackberry phones.

Hopefully, by moving it to general discussions it might grab everyone's attention and RIM might sit up and listen.
    It took me a minute to figure is this a merged thred from yourshireman and the new op.
    As I see my comments from Yorkshiremans post I was about to say great thread op's I think its important information as I was ignorant to the situation that the people are facing its imo wrong .
    1. Unless for a really good explanation from rim as to why it would be justifiable to charge more in one market then another.
    Also with the global economy in I won't say tatters its a mess so every penny counts more then ever.
    Sorry didn't mean to make a speech just to let you know not being able to speak for others for what its worth you have my full support and I'm sure the majority of the peoples support.
    Last edited by esk369; 09-24-12 at 05:17 PM.
    09-24-12 05:09 PM
    I didn't read the entire thread, but has anyone actually even called RIM and asked? I would think that would be the first logical step.
    Yes. RIM is aware of it. Some users have been told it's a glitch, and others that a fix is "coming soon."
    twstd.reality likes this.
    09-24-12 05:54 PM
    And will do in the next few days, with regards to the petition too.
    twstd.reality likes this.
    09-24-12 06:07 PM
    buy any tablet and the cost will be US $ 200 will be EU200

In Europe VAT is always included
    plus the labor cost is higher in most Euro countries
    Plus the UK is extreme expensive

but this where it ends, mobile phone call within the country, and when roaming within EU is inexpensive, international roaming and data roaming is price controlled
    because all carriers using the same system GSM
    here in the US we have CDMA and GSM, plus sprint is using some old Nextel technology

Internet, or triple play with Cable and one phone is less than half as in the US
    Internet speed are twice as fast

take public transport, clean, fast and efficient
    09-24-12 10:42 PM
    I've contact RIM several times over this matter and have only received a reply once and that was from support. They said it wasn't in their remit and I should contact some other department, but when I did I heard nothing at all.

I've also tried calling RIM UK about the matter, but have had no success speaking to a real person, other than the telephone receptionist, who was really nice. Unfortunately, when she puts me through to anyone all I get is voicemail and calls are never returned.

I've also filled out RIM's surveys, entered the details on feedback/contact forms, etc, but nothing, but a deathly silence.
    09-25-12 05:02 AM
    Yes. RIM is aware of it. Some users have been told it's a glitch, and others that a fix is "coming soon."
    BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    Yeah right! If it was a glitch don't ya think they would've fixed even BEFORE work on BlackBerry 10 started don't ya think?
    09-25-12 12:24 PM
    Dosent appear to be the case anymore. I bought a couiple of app yesterday and was charged in USD.
    10-13-12 02:52 AM
    Dosent appear to be the case anymore. I bought a couiple of app yesterday and was charged in USD.
    That's strange... AppWorld is still in �'s for me. Are you sure you are connecting to the UK AppWorld? The only time I saw prices in dollars was when I connected through a proxy server.

IMHO, it's just laziness on RIM's part. Their conversion table for AppWorld prices in different currencies has always shown �1:$1 instead of reflecting the �1:$1.50 currency rates.

FYI: A 99c App on the UK AppStores for both Apple and Windows Mobile costs 79p. I don't use Android, but I'd be willing to bet they also use more realistic conversion rates.
    10-13-12 04:45 AM
    That's strange... AppWorld is still in �'s for me. Are you sure you are connecting to the UK AppWorld? The only time I saw prices in dollars was when I connected through a proxy server.

IMHO, it's just laziness on RIM's part. Their conversion table for AppWorld prices in different currencies has always shown �1:$1 instead of reflecting the �1:$1.50 currency rates.

FYI: A 99c App on the UK AppStores for both Apple and Windows Mobile costs 79p. I don't use Android, but I'd be willing to bet they also use more realistic conversion rates.
    Yes Android and Apple use realistic conversion rates

Feeding my CrackBerry Craving with the CrackBerry Forums App!
    10-13-12 07:05 AM

Yes I am sure it was BB appworld. Yes the prices were shown in pounds but changed to dollars just before you clicked to confirm purchase.
    10-13-12 08:21 AM
    If the UK tabloid press gets hold of this they'll have a field day.

They will totally and utterly crucify RIM to such an extent that Blackberry could well die a quick and painful death over here.

British people hate to get ripped off, and it just provides one more reason for people not buy Blackberry. Until BB10 comes out RIM need to be doing EVERYTHING they can to try and keep their reputation in tact, and this is just waving a big red flag and all the pro Apple/Android journalist who are already happy to slag RIM off whenever they get the chance.
    10-15-12 05:56 PM
    If the UK tabloid press gets hold of this they'll have a field day.

They will totally and utterly crucify RIM to such an extent that Blackberry could well die a quick and painful death over here.

British people hate to get ripped off, and it just provides one more reason for people not buy Blackberry. Until BB10 comes out RIM need to be doing EVERYTHING they can to try and keep their reputation in tact, and this is just waving a big red flag and all the pro Apple/Android journalist who are already happy to slag RIM off whenever they get the chance.
    Well their letting themselves get publicly crucified by ripping us off!! You would've thought that with the imminent arrival of a major new operating system and 2 new devices - the L and N series phones they wouldn't allow themselves to be crucified. If this carries on BB10 may be DOA altogether including PlayBook!

Feeding my CrackBerry Craving with the CrackBerry Forums App
    10-19-12 10:58 AM
    The cost of living as a whole is vastly more expensive in Europe than it is in North America and it's noticed even more with the current exchange rates, try coming over here with your � so low and you'll see what I'm talking about. But that only accounts for a small part of the story; the tax structure, particularly in the UK, is vastly different than it is across the pond. Have you seen the difference in the cost of a car (even those for sale in Europe)? Cost of ownership is significantly lower too. So is the price of fuel. So, it's unfair, but the problem lies mostly in areas other than RIM themselves.
    10-19-12 11:12 AM
    So, it's unfair, but the problem lies mostly in areas other than RIM themselves.
    Except that the competition doesn't rip off customers in the UK. Google play, Amazon app store, iTunes and Windows store all manage to charge fairer prices. It's all very well saying "the cost of living is greater in the UK", but the competition has this licked and RIM are running the risk of alienating their customers.
    10-19-12 03:21 PM
    Except that the competition doesn't rip off customers in the UK. Google play, Amazon app store, iTunes and Windows store all manage to charge fairer prices. It's all very well saying "the cost of living is greater in the UK", but the competition has this licked and RIM are running the risk of alienating their customers.
    Plus the UK is still in recession and times are tough for everyone and by ripping us off by nearly 40% its making times harder for us

If it carries on I'm gonna boycott App world and go for OTA links again

Feeding my CrackBerry Craving with the CrackBerry Forums App
    10-19-12 04:22 PM
115 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD